Deadspin just dropped a bomb - "fu fans"

Saunders

I was at the Wyoming game (and you can see on tape if you recorded BTN) he turns around and gives the 'get out of here waive' to the fans after we score a TD. The head coach should not be doing this. I beleive he has great passion towards his players as many suggest to be true, but he needs to get a grip on the outside media and some fans who will never be satisfied. He says he doesn't worry about it. Really? I don't think Bo should be fired, but I think this is a huge wake up call for him going forward.

I agree with most of the quote but I disagree with the bolded. How is he suppose to get a grip on the outside media and fans that will never be satisfied? There outside media members (des howard) and certain fans that will never like Bo no matter what he does. Thats just what it is. Is he suppose to just blow up and act like every hates him? No. But I also feel that he can't pander to everyone otherwise he just seems fake. I have no issues with what he said because to an extent he's correct.

You are kidding right?

:rollin Again the educated idiots of the media humping each other about this :leghump:

Media drama queens acted like a great sin was committed in the Husker Holy land as they were waving their bibles in the air. This is nothing. I am not embarrassed, he was honest of his thoughts. Just like some fans vocing their comments in profanity after games to Bo, booing in the stands, and the media writing articles that were less than inspiring to read. Apoligize to what? I do bellieve it is a shared fault of some fans, media, and Bo. These choices each took did not make the relationship easy. Case closed and move on.

It is very very hard to be a coach in Nebraska, you know it.

I was at the Wyoming game (and you can see on tape if you recorded BTN) he turns around and gives the 'get out of here waive' to the fans after we score a TD. The head coach should not be doing this. I beleive he has great passion towards his players as many suggest to be true, but he needs to get a grip on the outside media and some fans who will never be satisfied. He says he doesn't worry about it. Really? I don't think Bo should be fired, but I think this is a huge wake up call for him going forward.

I agree with most of the quote but I disagree with the bolded. How is he suppose to get a grip on the outside media and fans that will never be satisfied? There outside media members (des howard) and certain fans that will never like Bo no matter what he does. Thats just what it is. Is he suppose to just blow up and act like every hates him? No. But I also feel that he can't pander to everyone otherwise he just seems fake. I have no issues with what he said because to an extent he's correct.

It's part of the job. I'm not saying he has to send them birthday cards, just needs to realize WHO CARES about the haters.

It's like we, as fans have no culpability in Bo's reaction. You can only poke the bear so many times before he fights back. When he does fight back, whose fault is it for the bear fighting back--the bear? Or the person poking the bear?

So Bo is the animal who can't control its instincts, and the fans are the self-aware humans that should know better? That analogy might work, but probably not to the sentiment you intended.

• Fire 2

When I first saw this yesterday I was taken aback, but after reading and thinking more about it I cannot be pissed about this. I feel some of our fanbase has this sense of entitlement and we are holier than thou...I compare it to the Catholics...and I am Catholic!

If they fire Bo, name a BCS caliber coach who would come here in their right mind. Look at what happened when they fired Frank...we were turned down by many and had to settle for the clown they brought in. TO came back and made the right decision. We can argue all day if that was the right decision.

Some of you are making claims Bo is not what Husker football is about. I am guessing you forgot the Spring Game if you think he is not what Husker football is about.

Again, if Bo is fired, we are screwed from finding someone who will EVER get close to the standards of some of the Husker fans and fall further down then we did with Callahan.

• Fire 1

I know this is the thread about some recording, and honestly at the moment I don't even care about the recording. I care about the short sightedness. If Pelini goes, we've basically gone through a coach every 6 years since TO's retirement. TO's legacy is because of his last 5 seasons and deservedly so......but the 20 before that had their share of ups and downs. I understand the thing about blowout losses. Callahan had them and Pelini has had them. But we're not going to build a program with a coaching carousel. When it comes to Nebraska football, I'm a nobody......I'm not a big donor and I have no weight to throw around. I know a little bit about football and quite a bit about the Huskers dating back to the 1970's. I'm just a poster on some internet message board. But I don't want a coaching change.

+1 Me too...

Don't compare Pelini to Osborne. Just don't, please. I don't even have to present an argument on that.

Sorry, EVERY NU head coach will be compared to TO... for all time.

But they shouldn't be.

• Fire 1

It's like we, as fans have no culpability in Bo's reaction. You can only poke the bear so many times before he fights back. When he does fight back, whose fault is it for the bear fighting back--the bear? Or the person poking the bear?

So Bo is the animal who can't control its instincts, and the fans are the self-aware humans that should know better? That analogy might work, but probably not to the sentiment you intended.

It's an argument about which came first: Bo's reactions or the fans and media prodding and garbage?

It's an argument about which came first: Bo's reactions or the fans and media prodding and garbage?

Bo's temper came first. You saw it in 2003 when he marched across the field and cursed out Bill Snyder. 10 years and nothing has changed.

• Fire 2

Bo's temper came first. You saw it in 2003 when he marched across the field and cursed out Bill Snyder. 10 years and nothing has changed.

Be careful throwing around extreme words like nothing. You don't even know how wrong you are when you say that.

Yet fans still wanted him hired as head coach and were all giddy when Osborne finally did hire him. Yet fans still witnessed his tirade against the refs in the bowl game in '03 and still wanted him hired as head coach. Fan knew what to expect from him yet still pissed themselves with excitement when he was announced as the new HC.

I know this is the thread about some recording, and honestly at the moment I don't even care about the recording. I care about the short sightedness. If Pelini goes, we've basically gone through a coach every 6 years since TO's retirement. TO's legacy is because of his last 5 seasons and deservedly so......but the 20 before that had their share of ups and downs. I understand the thing about blowout losses. Callahan had them and Pelini has had them. But we're not going to build a program with a coaching carousel. When it comes to Nebraska football, I'm a nobody......I'm not a big donor and I have no weight to throw around. I know a little bit about football and quite a bit about the Huskers dating back to the 1970's. I'm just a poster on some internet message board. But I don't want a coaching change.

+1 Me too...

Don't compare Pelini to Osborne. Just don't, please. I don't even have to present an argument on that.

Sorry, EVERY NU head coach will be compared to TO... for all time.

But they shouldn't be.

Agree. But they will. Every one. Forever. The natural result of following a legend.

The guy has completely changed his demeanor on the sidelines and in front of the press! This wasn't in front of the press for crying out loud, he was recorded "secretly" and had no idea. So what if he felt that way at the time, behind closed doors I've said things about my boss and other people I wouldn't want them to hear. I was venting, knew I didn't mean it, but said it anyways. Am I happy with what he said? No, no I'm not, but I'm not going to skewer the guy and say he needs to go for this. This situation stinks, I don't like it, and screw the guy/gal that released this stuff to satisfy their personal agenda. I hope this team rallies around this situation and their coach and kicks the ever living **** out of any of the teams that line up across from them. He needs to change his coaching staff up, but he doesn't need to go.

Bringing up the fact that he said he doesn't want to be here in the tape is also a moot point. He said that TWO YEARS ago. A lot can change in two years. Was what he said bad? Absolutely. But it should not be the reason to fire him. Fire him for his on field performance. Don't fire him because he said something in private that was recorded.

He's on a very short leash now. I can't see Eichorst or Perlman letting this go without some internal punishment. But it would be sad to see a coach the players love leave because their punishment burns bridges and makes it so he can't coach here effectively.