If we r gonna fire anyone ...we better have our ducks in a row and know who is gonna take over. I'd go after tressel first. But I'd do it now with feelers to see who hypothetically is interested unless you want another embarassing peterson like debacle.

I don't get this thought process. It's not possible to have your ducks in a row and already know who is going to take over before a firing. That isn't how it works. Searches take weeks and are for the most part pretty public in today's world. By firing Kiffin now, they have 4 months to get their ducks in a row when coaches start becoming available (approachable) and the NFL season winds down. If the guy his termination is a forgone conclusion...why wait? If a decision has been made, act. Now they're 4 months ahead of the game. And if a decision of his replacement is already made today - they are limiting the pool of candidates to almost nothing because no one comes available until Jan/February.

Names I heard on LA sports radio today for Kiffen's replacement:

Jack Del Rio - a real possibility; probably the favorite right now

Jeff Fisher - USC ties but has expressed no interest in past

Chris Peterson - people wondering if he now finally gets out of Boise (I think he would be good at NU)

Steve Sarkesian - from the Pete Carrol coaching tree; problem is so was Kiffen

John Gruden - not seriously, but crazy money would maybe get him to look

Tony Dungy - NFL pedigree and instant respect

Herm Edwards - NFL pedigree; some think he would be good in college

Charlie Strong - hot coach right now. Louisville or USC? Would he give up comfort gig to take one of the biggest jobs in the land?

Mike Riley - darkhorse that could end up landing the job...apparently inside circles call him the best teacher in the game today.

Well one good thing is that SC has not called Bo yet, and his name has not been mentioned. Amazing

SC screwed the pooch by firing Kiffin when they did. There isn't a coach in his right mind who would take the HC job at SC

You serious? They will no doubt get their #1 pick.

I dunno. They will probably get a good coach simply because USC is such a plum job. But in general it doesn't seem like a good idea to fire a guy unless there is someone waiting in the wings. Remember the Pederson coaching search? That clusterf#@k set us back half a decade.

Pat Haden is a smarter AD than Pederson. USC will have none of the issues Nebraska had getting a top notch coach.

Location is a big factor in that as well.

Names I heard on LA sports radio today for Kiffen's replacement:

Jack Del Rio - a real possibility; probably the favorite right now

Jeff Fisher - USC ties but has expressed no interest in past

Chris Peterson - people wondering if he now finally gets out of Boise (I think he would be good at NU)

Steve Sarkesian - from the Pete Carrol coaching tree; problem is so was Kiffen

John Gruden - not seriously, but crazy money would maybe get him to look

Tony Dungy - NFL pedigree and instant respect

Herm Edwards - NFL pedigree; some think he would be good in college

Charlie Strong - hot coach right now. Louisville or USC? Would he give up comfort gig to take one of the biggest jobs in the land?

Mike Riley - darkhorse that could end up landing the job...apparently inside circles call him the best teacher in the game today.

Chris Petersen isn't exactly devoted to the student part of the student athlete. You essentially just need a face to get into Boise st.

This could get interesting. Texas, probably, and the Trojans looking for a new coach the same year. Not to mention several others.

I only hope Nebraska is not part of this circus.

Texas has no choice but to either force Mack into retirement or give him some plush office job. The worst thing to happen to Mack Brown was A&M not only leaving the Big 12 but succeeding in the SEC. Texas wants no part of playing second fiddle to A&M. It was bad enough for the Texas faithful watching Mack be Bob's bitch all these years, but watching A&M eclipse them is unbearable.