Just wasn't sure where to put this (re: Bo's desire to be here)

Landlord

The trouble is, where is he going to go? There's no "better" job (read: more prestigious or set up for success) that will touch him after the last few years, and he's not going to go to a "lesser" school.

My fear is that he really wanted gone but wasn't able to go, so now he's stuck somewhere he doesn't necessarily want to be. Not the best recipe for inspiring a coach to great success. I wonder if our lackadaisical recruiting his first couple years was a symptom of this.

I've thought about this too. Once he gets his temper/ image under control and he wins the big games he could move on to another program.

I don't hate Bo as a person or anything, but it's definitely starting to look like the best case scenario here is for us to try to finish out the year strong and have him take another job somewhere else. He's obviously never felt happy here and if that's the case, it would be better off for all parties to move on. I could see him having a lot of success at a smaller school, and I could see us having a lot of success with a coach who is better suited to handle the intense pressure of NU football.

My thoughts as well. Even though there was no discipline in the latest issue, I think fans are getting tired of having no hardware and these embarrassing situations. As much as I thought Bo was the answer when he came here - I have serious doubts now. I thought if he could get a D like the one wt Suh plus a good O at the same time we'd be set - but it isn't happening. Could it occur in 2 - 3 years - maybe as this young d gets experience but are the power brokers willing to wait - doubtful.

The trouble is, where is he going to go? There's no "better" job (read: more prestigious or set up for success) that will touch him after the last few years, and he's not going to go to a "lesser" school.

My fear is that he really wanted gone but wasn't able to go, so now he's stuck somewhere he doesn't necessarily want to be. Not the best recipe for inspiring a coach to great success. I wonder if our lackadaisical recruiting his first couple years was a symptom of this.

All this leads to the land of purgatory - 8-10 wins a season and no hardware.

+1

I always laugh when people act as if it's some sort of betrayal for someone to look at other jobs. There's never really any reason for anyone in any job not to continually take a look at their options. Occasional attrition is simply the cost of business. Any business. Even for folks who like where they are.

No matter how bad, good, or average Bo or any of his assistants are, we all know none of them are going to be around forever. They should all be keeping their eyes open for the best opportunities, whether it is to take a promotion or to find someplace to land if they get fired. And the AD better damn well have a list in mind for potential replacements at any given time. At the same time, everyone still has a job to do.

• Fire 1

It's fairly obvious this isn't his ideal job. We know, and he knows, that his system doesn't work well unless there is a certain level of talent. That's why after every loss the finger is essentially pointed at the players by saying "we didn't execute". How many times has he said "we didn't make the adjustments we needed to". Not very often is the answer. The problem that's developing is that until he wins the big games, he isn't going to raise his profile enough to be able to move along. So we end up in a kind of limbo where the coach is frustrated (see "I need to make coaching fun again" quotes) and the fanbase is frustrated.

That being said, I like Pelini. I like his fire and his loyalty and I think he does things the right way. However, there are some things about his overall style and strategy that make him less than a great fit here. He was new to coaching when he was hired so no one knew what he would develop into but I think it's starting to become clear that he needs to change some things to keep his job here.

Eh...I don't think so, just some unlucky misses. The past 2 years in recruiting have been very solid and even the players on the field are showing promise.

If he REALLY wants to get out of NEB, he needs to do MORE WORK and get this team PREPARED TO WIN IMO if he wants to land a "better" job so to speak.

But what if he now realizes he's not going to find a better job? So now instead of working his ass off to try and leave, he's just going to accept his 3 million dollars a year, realizing he's got a pretty lucky gig, and doing his job well (because he's a passionate, committed guy) but not to the level of commitment that will lead us where we want to go.

I'm speculating, and maybe I'm just taking it a bit personally. I always believed Bo wanted to be here, and it's kind of wounding to hear that he's tried getting out so many different times and we're stuck with each other.

Or he realized it's better than he thought. Just depends on which way you want to try to spin it.

I personally don't think he's the kind of guy to half-ass it, whether he really liked it or not. I think the initial lack of recruiting was more having a very young (experience-wise) staff. Once they got their feet on the ground, it's gotten a lot better.

yeah, this is why I'm a little worried Bo wasn't more straightforward regarding his interest in other schools.

If he thought about leaving at one point or if he felt he had to, big deal. He can come out with this without hurting recruiting, and most importantly, pre-empt discussions as in the OP tweets.

The most important thing out of audio gate is that Bo explain himself wholly to the fans. I don't hold it against anyone for looking for another job, but this is something worth explaining instead of an outright denial in what is looking like it's at least kinda gray. I hope that it doesn't come back to bite him.

If he feels that way I wish he could part ways amicably, but no matter what happens, 14-0 or 5-7, it will be hostility from the detractors. I feel he enjoys it here but if things keep on the way they have I forsee an NFL Coordinator job that he "just couldnt possibly turn down."

My reaction is a bit different than most on here. I've been pretty much in Bo's camp through it all, but I'll be honest: it stings to hear he was looking to leave us for a mid-level SEC or ACC job. I totally get Ohio State, and don't blame him at all. That's a better job than Nebraska and it's his alma mater to boot. But Miami?Arkansas? I don't mean to be disrespectful to those schools, but those are not schools that should be able to steal Nebraska's head coach.

If he's not happy here, then it's best for everyone that he move on. If he's turned a corner in the last year or two, that's another matter (assuming the on the field product improves), but yikes, I guess I fail to see why Nebraska is such a miserable place to coach.

• Fire 1

Is there any chance he put out these so called feelers so he could persuade the university into giving him a raise? It seems like every time a high profile job came up and Bo's name was supposedly thrown in the mix, he got more money. I dont think Bo wanted to leave Nebraska, but after this last week, I bet he will be gone in the next few years

• Fire 1

I guess I'm of the perspective that i dont really understand the angst of this job searching stuff. We have to remember that this is a job. A career. First and foremost. The days of good old Tom Osborne the good little Nebraska kid whom we never had to worry about ever wanting to leave (1978 dispells that anyway) are done. College Football is big business. It's these coaches jobs. Bo's searching around because he's trying to advance his career. Now, if he starts to improve and the program begins to head in a drastically positive direction, and job offers come in for Bo, we're gonna have to penny up the dough it we want to keep him, or tell him good-bye. Anyone like to clarify to me what this is any different than any other job situation in the history of the free world?

Also, I love how the haters' take on this whole thing as evolved. At first, at very first it was the language. Oh my gosh, but it was quickly realized that if youre suprised of that from Bo by now, you dont have pulse and dont know enough to form an opinion of him anyway. Then it was the attack on the fans. Oh good lordy he shouldnt of said that!! Well no sh#t sherlock. you think? But then there was perspective and came about a general understanding the time period and the emotions surrounding that. The smart ones will forgive him noting that we understand what it's like to rant. How many of you have ever vented out to your parents or someone you love as kids or teenagers "I hate you!!"? And that's parents or someone you love. He was privately lashing out at millions he doesnt even know. Big deal. Now we're to the "oh my god, Bo doesnt like it here, he wants to leave" issue. Oh well. My point is, if he really REALLY didnt want to be here, he'd been gone a long time ago. He changing. he's trying to do things to improve the program. He makes for damn sure the program is seen in a positive light in terms of the behavior of his player and so on. Throw the scoreboard out for a minute, look at everything Bo has done here for the program and try to say he doesnt care. This is ridiculous.

Lastly, he may have wanted to leave at those times, but how does that equate to how he feels now? maybe he changed his attitude and decided to give it a full go here. Again, even Osborne wanted out, to Colorado of all places, at one time.

Per usual, I'm the opitimistic Bo-backer here that says "nothing to see here folks".

That's my take guys. Fire away.

Edit add: Tom Osborne considered taking the Michigan St head coach job before he was named AD. Cant remember how long before, but it was offered to him. Yes, our almighty hero almost came out of retirement to coach someone else. Why? It's a business people. The sooner everyone gets a grasp on that, the happier you'll all be.