Interesting Conversation at the game..

mwj98

I was at the game this past weekend due to the festivities (Hall of Fame inductees) and had the chance to get on the field. BTW, why does Vandenbosch looks so pissed all the time? Guy's a beast.

Anyhow.....There has been plenty to say about the defense and one gap vs. two gap...man to man vs. zone and so on and so forth. Two gap doesn't work, we are getting worked!!

But one thing I did notice, and I couldn't ever see on TV is the lack of excitement or emotion on the sideline. My buddy pointed it out, he said, "It's like they are going through the motion". And, there were times when there was a big play and the sideline just looked dead. Now, I'm not saying thats the reason for 600 yds a game. But, I spoke with a couple former players and they used the words "soft" not meaning the defense soft, meaning the players are soft. Lack of hunger. And to add.....Nebraska isn't the only team like that. They actually said the entire college game as a whole is becoming that way. Our defense had a chance to make some serious hits and I'm telling you, it looked like they pulled up. It was weird. Wasn't just my observation. Folks around me noticed as well. Someone mentioned on another post about practice and not tackling.......are we tackling at practice? LIke EVERYONE has said, we have the athletes......Our aggressiveness at the point of attack seems very weak.

I just thought it was interesting what former players had to say.

Interesting observation about the side line demeanor. If this is the 'norm' in college football, you would think this would be an area where the 'great motivator' could give us a slight advantage on the field. I watched Saturday's game in front of a tv but did make a mental note when the camera panned on TMart after one of our scores, he was uninterested. Quite frankly, as one of our captains/leaders - I felt he should have been one of the biggest sideline cheerleaders.

I've noticed the lack of emotion as well. It's weird, because I also thought that would be one of Pelini's strengths as a coach...getting the players fired up and ready to crack some skulls. Early on in his tenure that was the case. I remember him chest bumping players and screaming at the sideline. The last few years though the sideline has been dead. When players strap on their helmets they may as well be coal miners putting on their equipment for another day in the coal mine. It's disturbing to see. When I'm watching other games, it doesn't look nearly as bad on their sidelines as ours always seems to. And I think it's hard to be great at a game like football unless you love the game.

Interesting observation about the side line demeanor. If this is the 'norm' in college football, you would think this would be an area where the 'great motivator' could give us a slight advantage on the field. I watched Saturday's game in front of a tv but did make a mental note when the camera panned on TMart after one of our scores, he was uninterested. Quite frankly, as one of our captains/leaders - I felt he should have been one of the biggest sideline cheerleaders.

I was surprised when he didn't walk out of the tunnel with the other captains. I work on the sidelines for the games, and I would definitely agree, that they seem to just be there, not really showing any emotions whatsoever. Maybe that's some of what Bo was talking about, when he said he needs to make it fun for them again.

On the hitting aspect I think there are two things involved there:

1. The obvious: the NCAA and football in general is going away from the big hit and flagging when it happens, I don't like it, but I don't blame the players for holding back some.

2. Our players need to quit trying to go after the big hit at times because as they are flying in the running back or whomever just steps to the side and our defender goes flying by. Usually there is no one else around to hit the guy until 10 to 15 yards down the field. See Ciante Evans in the UCLA game...........

I was surprised when he didn't walk out of the tunnel with the other captains. I work on the sidelines for the games, and I would definitely agree, that they seem to just be there, not really showing any emotions whatsoever. Maybe that's some of what Bo was talking about, when he said he needs to make it fun for them again.

Yep....I was on the field during warm up and he walked by....and I gotta tell ya. Absolutely no emotion. Not bashing him at all. It's just we don't have any vocal players. As for teaching on the sidelines.....sometimes you just gotta play and not think so much...turn the dogs loose. It's almost like we are over coaching.....i don't know....but man oh man did the offense look crisp!

GBR

Yep....I was on the field during warm up and he walked by....and I gotta tell ya. Absolutely no emotion. Not bashing him at all. It's just we don't have any vocal players. As for teaching on the sidelines.....sometimes you just gotta play and not think so much...turn the dogs loose. It's almost like we are over coaching.....i don't know....but man oh man did the offense look crisp!

GBR

And can you blame a guy for not being very happy about getting to play the game that he loves. It sucks but on the other hand he should have been cheering once it started.

I watched Saturday's game in front of a tv but did make a mental note when the camera panned on TMart after one of our scores, he was uninterested. Quite frankly, as one of our captains/leaders - I felt he should have been one of the biggest sideline cheerleaders.

I uh....

Like.

Is this your first time watching Taylor Martinez? He's been our starting quarterback for four seasons and this is seriously the first time you have seen his stoic, emotionless expression on the sideline?

• Fire 2
I watched Saturday's game in front of a tv but did make a mental note when the camera panned on TMart after one of our scores, he was uninterested. Quite frankly, as one of our captains/leaders - I felt he should have been one of the biggest sideline cheerleaders.

I uh....

Like.

Is this your first time watching Taylor Martinez? He's been our starting quarterback for four seasons and this is seriously the first time you have seen his stoic, emotionless expression on the sideline?

Yeah, I guess it's just not that exciting for him anymore. Playing (starting!) in front of the Sea of Red for his 4th straight year has bored him....

Tommy Armstrong looked pretty excited though chuckleshuffle