Interesting Conversation at the game..

mwj98

My brother thinks that this is all due to marijuana use among college athletes. He has some statistics to back up his theory, but the bottom line is that (he thinks) more and more kids are smoking the chronic and this leads to a lack of emotion and just an overall lack of interest in anything. Lethargy.

His theory last year was that our defense was drunk and drinking, especially the night before the Wisconsin game. They played like they were all hungover. I can't imagine playing hungover. It makes me want to throw up just thinking about it.

So that's his thought.

• Fire 2

Yeah, I guess it's just not that exciting for him anymore. Playing (starting!) in front of the Sea of Red for his 4th straight year has bored him....

No, he's just not as emotive as your average person.

Goodness. I can't believe people are still talking about this.

I have to agree Landlord. Dont know why this is an issue anymore. Some guy called into Big Red reaction talking about the same thing. At this point, it's just a way for the Taylor-haters to have some ammo again. (No Kara, I am accusing you of being a Taylor-hater.)

At this point, being shocked by Taylor's demeanor is the same as being most shocked by Bo's language in tape.

I coach high school football and have noticed the change in emotions amongst the young men. They don't get fired up about much. Case and point...we were playing our arch rival a couple of weeks ago and the kids played like they could care less who they were playing, let alone a rivalry and major conference game. As a coach I continually try to get our boys fired up, but they look at you in the daze (see Zaimejs' post). We got beat pretty good and after the game they were all playing friends with the opposition....I was PISSED!

It truly is a societal thing. I believe the kids do not really care to get fired up. Coaches have to be so damn careful on what they say and do in practice that it does not help the situation. You yell at a kid and you can lose your job because you hurt the kids feelings. I do miss the good ol' days of being able to push your athletes without fear of what parent might be watching from a distance or recording you. I know some tools are to blame because they went too far, but it is just different.

If I would play for Bo I would be fired up all of the time. He is a high emotion guy, but now he has to tame that because of the crap that some coward did last week.

My brother thinks that this is all due to marijuana use among college athletes. He has some statistics to back up his theory, but the bottom line is that (he thinks) more and more kids are smoking the chronic and this leads to a lack of emotion and just an overall lack of interest in anything. Lethargy.

His theory last year was that our defense was drunk and drinking, especially the night before the Wisconsin game. They played like they were all hungover. I can't imagine playing hungover. It makes me want to throw up just thinking about it.

So that's his thought.

College students (athletes certainly not excluded) have been smoking the chronic for a long time so I don't think his theory really holds up.

I coach high school football and have noticed the change in emotions amongst the young men. They don't get fired up about much. Case and point...we were playing our arch rival a couple of weeks ago and the kids played like they could care less who they were playing, let alone a rivalry and major conference game. As a coach I continually try to get our boys fired up, but they look at you in the daze (see Zaimejs' post). We got beat pretty good and after the game they were all playing friends with the opposition....I was PISSED!

It truly is a societal thing. I believe the kids do not really care to get fired up. Coaches have to be so damn careful on what they say and do in practice that it does not help the situation. You yell at a kid and you can lose your job because you hurt the kids feelings. I do miss the good ol' days of being able to push your athletes without fear of what parent might be watching from a distance or recording you. I know some tools are to blame because they went too far, but it is just different.

If I would play for Bo I would be fired up all of the time. He is a high emotion guy, but now he has to tame that because of the crap that some coward did last week.

I've definitely seen the same thing at the high school level. I'm not sure it applies to top end Division I athletes but it could to some extent. I think it's overplayed in this situation. There were a few times when people were trying to celebrate with Kenny Bell Saturday and he tried to shrug them off. I took it as he was saying "Yeah, that was great but we should expect to play like that against these guys." Every time I watch Kenny play, I like him more.

So that's his thought.

College students (athletes certainly not excluded) have been smoking the chronic for a long time so I don't think his theory really holds up.

Especially before the Wisconsin game where they'd all just traveled by air to get to the game. Unless they have a dealer in every town, I'm going with no on the weed thing. They stay in a hotel before home games too.

And we KNOW Alabama players smoke plenty of weed before games...and they still play fine.

it's almost as if it illegal to hit anyone in college football. do it at your own risk. hit em high and get a flag. hit em low and get a flag. hit em hard and get a flag. say the wrong word and get a flag. no wonder they pull up now.

Not to mention..........."excessive shoving", get a flag. I still can't get over that call............

So that's his thought.

Years ago, we had a running back by the name of Buckhalter. Did he show much emotion on the sideline?

So that's his thought.

So wrong for so many reasons. ^Dumbfounded^

Yeah, I guess it's just not that exciting for him anymore. Playing (starting!) in front of the Sea of Red for his 4th straight year has bored him....

No, he's just not as emotive as your average person.

Goodness. I can't believe people are still talking about this.

I have to agree Landlord. Dont know why this is an issue anymore. Some guy called into Big Red reaction talking about the same thing. At this point, it's just a way for the Taylor-haters to have some ammo again. (No Kara, I am accusing you of being a Taylor-hater.)

At this point, being shocked by Taylor's demeanor is the same as being most shocked by Bo's language in tape.

I'm not shocked by how calm he is on the sideline (though I wish he could have exhibited some of that calmness against UCLA on the field the second half)... and I'm not a Taylor-hater, so I appreciate not calling me out for that (he's given a lot to the "N" and taken way too much crap from fans over the years considering his stats and all the winning seasons).

I'm just pointing out that intensity is an issue for this team. To put in another way we often come out as flat as a popped balloon in big moments. We hear players describe this every week after a loss. A QB is a leader no matter which way you slice it. A senior QB even more so. I get it, Taylor's a different leader than that. It's no knock on him personally so I regret my prior post which came off pretty snarky. Taylor's a good kid and a great athlete.

I just think we can be better as a team unit with more excitement from our leaders. From what I have seen and heard, Armstrong looks to be a good candidate in that area. I hope that explains my position well.