What Bo said to John Papuchis

Redux

What is interesting is the "roll with the punches" stance Bo and company have taken until the defense gels. One thing is for sure, anyone who has ever held a management position or job that carried quite a bit of weight will tell you "I was stunned" is not how you answer a poor showing. You outline what will change, how it will change, and where the team goes from there. Pap needs a fire lit under him or else he is just practicing the definition of insanity expecting a different result.

• Fire 1

I think it was more of a look of befuddlement by JP because of the poor performance by the defense. It seemed to me to be kind of a "I don't understand what happened, but that was bad" type of expression.

That's what I saw. JP was disturbed in his post game comments. Made some references to having to change their entire approach on defense.

From Dirk's More Blues for the Blackshirts column

“You can't keep doing things that guys can't do,” Papuchis said. “Experimenting time is over. ...

“We gotta figure out what the identity of this defense is gonna be. We may have to play a little bit different than we played in the past. We may have to be a more pressure team or a more gapped-out team.”

My question - what exactly is JP's role with the team? There appears to be two varying answers. Either Bo really is in charge of the defense and JP has a less influential role, or JP is in charge of the defense and Pelini truly has gone into overseer mode.

I don't know if anybody can effectively answer this question or not without mostly speculating. All I know is that our defense under JP has become ferociously mediocre, bordering on terrible. The defense wasn't great in Carl Pelini's last year, but that year I felt we were doing the best with the talent we had. That talent carried over in 2012 and really didn't change, but if anything, got worse.

That's what I saw. JP was disturbed in his post game comments. Made some references to having to change their entire approach on defense.

“You can't keep doing things that guys can't do,” Papuchis said. “Experimenting time is over. ...

That comment pique's my interest. Is Paps pointing the finger at himself or is he possibly taking a dig at Bo's scheme?

That comment pique's my interest. Is Paps pointing the finger at himself or is he possibly taking a dig at Bo's scheme?

Good point.

My question - what exactly is JP's role with the team? There appears to be two varying answers. Either Bo really is in charge of the defense and JP has a less influential role, or JP is in charge of the defense and Pelini truly has gone into overseer mode.

As you said, it is somewhat speculation. But considering Bo has the call sheet and is barking into the headset just before JP starts signaling out to the field, I think it's fairly obvious.

Unless Bo is ordering take-out.

I don't know if anybody can effectively answer this question or not without mostly speculating. All I know is that our defense under JP has become ferociously mediocre, bordering on terrible. The defense wasn't great in Carl Pelini's last year, but that year I felt we were doing the best with the talent we had. That talent carried over in 2012 and really didn't change, but if anything, got worse.

My opinion: He's a good recruiter and we didn't want to lose him....hence promotion.

As you said, it is somewhat speculation. But considering Bo has the call sheet and is barking into the headset just before JP starts signaling out to the field, I think it's fairly obvious.

Unless Bo is ordering take-out.

This. The only thing Bo has to be mad at Pap about is messing up the hand signals. Bo owns this defense just like he did when Carl was here.

Hmmm....when was the last time an FCS school was picked to beat bama....yes we've fallen a lot...I highly doubt someone just threw that pick out there thinking there was no chance...

When was the last time a FCS school hosted ESPN College Gameday and their biggest rival was playing Alabama? Probably the same answer to your question.

Interesting quote from Pap. I took it as a slam against Bo's scheme. To me, he's saying "What worked in the past isn't working with these guys. Time for something new."