**** What Did We Learn ****

We could have had a better game than we had, that's for sure. Left some plays out there on both sides of the ball. But we have some playmakers on both sides and, since I went into this game thinking we'd get 500+ yards of offense dropped on us (they average 478) and in excess of 30 points (they average about 40 a game), I am more than pleased at the outcome.

Yeah, those substitution penalties were stupid, but did nobody notice that we were making nearly wholesale changes in personnel over and over? That's not an excuse, but it does explain a little why we had five of those penalties. They emptied the bench to get everyone as much experience against what is a pretty decent offense.

Surprisingly, what I've learned from today's game is that, I am no where near as nervous when the offense takes the field and Armstrong is the QB, than I am when the offense takes the field and Martinez is the QB? It seems Tommy makes good decisions, plays within the system and himself and doesn't try to do too much and turn the ball over like Taylor tends to do... although, this year he is better in this area.

I learned from reading this thread that we have a lot of fans who are utterly determined to look at the defense as a glass-half-empty unit. This was an OBVIOUS step forward for the defense, and while it was not yet a complete game, they held a pretty potent Illinois offense to half their typical production.

But rather than look at that, people feel it's more important (cooler? more "realistic?") to point out the flaws. Our championship defenses had flaws. The 2009 defense had flaws.

Celebrate the successes when you have them, even the minor ones. This is a fickle game and success can be quite fleeting.

That's not how we roll on Da'Board

I learned from reading this thread that we have a lot of fans who are utterly determined to look at the defense as a glass-half-empty unit. This was an OBVIOUS step forward for the defense, and while it was not yet a complete game, they held a pretty potent Illinois offense to half their typical production.

But rather than look at that, people feel it's more important (cooler? more "realistic?") to point out the flaws. Our championship defenses had flaws. The 2009 defense had flaws.

Celebrate the successes when you have them, even the minor ones. This is a fickle game and success can be quite fleeting.

That's not how we roll on Da'Board

Daaa Board!

7490d1170599866-super-bowl-tm-dabears.jpg

• Fire 1

when i am critical of the defense it is because i see that it can be better, it still has a lot of upside. not because i want them to fail or think they are terrible as a unit. i am critical because i am an optimist and see that they can be better if they fix these fixable issues (which are worth discussing, imo).

i think a lot of us "complaining" about the defense feel that way.

Agree, and it is hard to take a 1/2 full view when you played the 98th ranked schedule and are ranked 107th in defense. That is a glass with barely a drop in it. I didn't get to see the game today because of ESPNU, but I am very pleased with the point total by Illinois. Another thing that annoys me, and I am guessing many NU fans, is the passive approach Bo takes to defense. From the few highlights I saw, it looked like Bo played a much more aggressive game today. I can't wait for the re-play on the BIG network.

I think our young guys are finally figuring out to attack and play faster then previous. The perfect example of that was Afalava, he got pushed back and didnt get off his block as the back ran by him. Bo called a TO and had a talk with him, the next play he just blew up the ball carrier and continued to play with his hair on fire. The same could be said about M. Rose.

not making the tackle at initial contact might be the one thing plaguing this defense the most...

I stopped counting after a half dozen times, the number of plays that would have been for a loss or minimal gain.

We could have had a better game than we had, that's for sure. Left some plays out there on both sides of the ball. But we have some playmakers on both sides and, since I went into this game thinking we'd get 500+ yards of offense dropped on us (they average 478) and in excess of 30 points (they average about 40 a game), I am more than pleased at the outcome.

Yeah, those substitution penalties were stupid, but did nobody notice that we were making nearly wholesale changes in personnel over and over? That's not an excuse, but it does explain a little why we had five of those penalties. They emptied the bench to get everyone as much experience against what is a pretty decent offense.

Yeah, that was a real display of total incompetence at that stage of the game but nothing to be too concerned about. I'm sure they'll get to see plenty of replays of themselves wandering around with a look of complete confusion.....probably make some gifs.

1) Michael Rose looked good

2) So did Afalava

3) Have to give praise to the defense. Still loads of problems, but Illinois had a decent offense, and for most of the day, the 1st team D shut them down

4) It's getting rather ridiculous that NU can't kick routine extra points.

5) I have nothing against Ron Kellogg III, but it seems like once Tommy Armstrong gets into a rythym, out he goes and in comes RKIII. Granted, I know they're both considered 'back-ups', but one is the potential future of Husker football, the other is not. With this said...

6) Tim Beck's decision-making doesn't make much sense a lot of the time.

7) There is defensive talent. It's the utilization that leaves things to be desired.

8) Nebraska fans are getting crazier by the week. And not in a good way.