Student section

Apathy

Heard postgame on Big Red Reaction:

"Did you guys see that embarrassment in the student section today? There were 1,000 seats empty!! That just looks terrible to have that corner completely empty in our stadium. You know what else is terrible? The fact that the students have those horrible corner seats. We need to put them right on the 50 yard line behind the opposing teams bench. Our students contribute so much to our great gameday atmosphere and they need to be rewarded with better seats."

I'm about 94% sure Cooter Ray Cornhowler is not an exaggeration when describing the intelligence of an average Husker fan.

/So they didn't show up and now the sellout streak is over. Thanks a lot.

not really

Kreist, did you really?

At one time the student section was about 14,000 if my memory is right with the same attitude you have. Keep it up and they will whittle it down 6000. The only people who are stupid are the students who think nothing will happen if that top stays empty. The athletic dept doesn't see empty student seats because of extenuating circumstances, they see empty seats to sell to season ticket holders next year.

I was curious after reading this thread how we compare to other B1G Schools in terms of Undergrad pop vs student section size. I couldn't find all the data, but here is what I did find:

school/undergrads/student seating/ percent

tOSU/37,100/ 29,679/ 80%

Penn St/ 35,700/ 21,000/ 59%

Iowa/19,900/ 10,590/ 53%

Wisconsin/ 28,500/ 14000/ 49%

Nebraska/ 19,100/ 8,500/ 45%

Minnesota/ 28,600/ 10,000/ 35%

So just in terms of the section being too big to fill, that is a poor argument in my estimation.

Now the argument that the section should be closer to the field is valid in my opinion. When you look at the rest of the B1G all the student sections have front-row access except Nebraska.

I can guarantee you that if we were ranked and undefeated, there would be more students in the stadium.

There are a lot of factors that play into it. I completely agree that THAT many students shouldn't be gone, but this was a low incentive game and the team is good, average, what have you. Throw on top of it that it was an 11 a.m. game and relatively cold...

Doesn't fully excuse it but it is what it is.

but after the display I saw earlier this afternoon at kickoff was very concerning and pathetic.

No, it's not. It's not concerning or pathetic. I've stood in the student section and they cram in there like sardines. It's what happens when you have General Admission. Do you go to a concert and get upset that everyone's standing near the stage and there's some space in the back to move a bit more?

• Fire 3

There were a lot of factors. First off homecoming means nothing to about everyone. At the house i tailgated at a group of about 10 that all had student tickets decided not to go and just stay and drink. They were trying to offer there N cards for people to go but nobody wanted to. I probably could have went free but it's much more fun drinking and watching the game unless we play a big opponent. I was at the UCLA game. I may go to NW but besides that i don't really have any desire to be in the student section when it starts getting cold out.

but after the display I saw earlier this afternoon at kickoff was very concerning and pathetic.

No, it's not. It's not concerning or pathetic. I've stood in the student section and they cram in there like sardines. It's what happens when you have General Admission. Do you go to a concert and get upset that everyone's standing near the stage and there's some space in the back to move a bit more?

If there were <5 empty rows, I'd buy that number of seats = number of students. But at 10 minutes before kickoff, I counted 47 rows (across 3 sections) that were completely empty. I'll be far, FAR too generous and assume that an extra 17 rows filled up in the next 10 minutes, and you're still looking at 510 empty seats.

And despite what most people on here like to think, the majority of the student section does not sardine themselves for low attendance games. I'm sure the first 10-15 rows do, but not rows 30 +. So unless you think that the first 10 rows were operating at about 19x capacity, save the excuse. It's wrong.

• Fire 2

I'm sure we all know that that many seats were empty because the sorority girls that are there for gossip instead of actually watching the game thought it was too cold to just sit there and talk, and the frat guys who are usually there to hit on the sorority girls didn't show up cause there weren't any sorority chicks there.

Keep in mind also that it has suddenly gotten far colder in Lincoln (at night and in the morning especially) than it has been all year. 40's and windy right now feels like you're in the arctic since everyone is used to more summerish temperatures. 40's and windy in November is going to feel much better and far more normal because your body has adjusted to it. That combined with an early game against an opponent nobody really cares about (sorry Illinois, but it's true) will get you reduced numbers.

Just to make this clear, this is a message board of random dudes of all ages getting pissed at 18-22 year old kids for not showing up at a football game against a crappy opponent which started at 11 AM in the morning.

Yes, but to be fair, you can make that argument with just about any topic on this board.

I would have LOVED it if they weren't in the stadium b/c they were out front of it picketing and boycotting 11am kicks. This is getting ridiculous!! If the B1G wants to be relevant then get more of your games in the afternoon and primetime. I'm getting really tired of these early games. It kills recruiting and makes it hard on fans not living within an hour of Lincoln.

I would have LOVED it if they weren't in the stadium b/c they were out front of it picketing and boycotting 11am kicks. This is getting ridiculous!! If the B1G wants to be relevant then get more of your games in the afternoon and primetime. I'm getting really tired of these early games. It kills recruiting and makes it hard on fans not living within an hour of Lincoln.

The UCLA game contradicts the point I'm about to make, but until Nebraska stirs nationally relevant story lines, they're going to get crap TV slots, channels and play 11 a.m. games. They really don't have anyone to blame but themselves.

• Fire 1