Student section

Apathy

been discussed already. Not that big a deal. For one, they crowd closer and tighter together to the lower rows. Only so many student seats, so when they do that, obviously higher rows get left open. And I'm sure some dont make it anyway. There were quite a bit of empty seats up that high for the Michigan game last year too.

Sorry didn't see a thread about it and just got home from the game. Didn't know that a lot of empty seats wasn't a big deal. Just a sad display

It was cold. We pay very little for the tickets. It was 11am. It was homecoming. We were up by 20. Sorry we have other things to do.

I was there for the whole game, but people need to shut-up when they talk about the student section. There were also rows in the SW corner of the stadium that were empty, too.

Sorry didn't see a thread about it and just got home from the game. Didn't know that a lot of empty seats wasn't a big deal. Just a sad display

It was cold. We pay very little for the tickets. It was 11am. It was homecoming. We were up by 20. Sorry we have other things to do.

I was there for the whole game, but people need to shut-up when they talk about the student section. There were also rows in the SW corner of the stadium that were empty, too.

Its okay. Im sure a lot of the students had to go study and do homework

• Fire 4

Im a student and we have 25,000 that go to this university. At the most the student section holds 8,000 people. So we must have "the greatest fans in college football" if we cant get 1/3 of the university to go to a football game. Anyone says that this number of students that should go to games is outrageous needs to stop.

Thats a visitor section.

Wouldn't paying little for tickets and Homecoming attract more students?

SW corner is visitor tickets. Very poor showing by Illinois.

Heard postgame on Big Red Reaction:

"Did you guys see that embarrassment in the student section today? There were 1,000 seats empty!! That just looks terrible to have that corner completely empty in our stadium. You know what else is terrible? The fact that the students have those horrible corner seats. We need to put them right on the 50 yard line behind the opposing teams bench. Our students contribute so much to our great gameday atmosphere and they need to be rewarded with better seats."

I'm about 94% sure Cooter Ray Cornhowler is not an exaggeration when describing the intelligence of an average Husker fan.

Wouldn't paying little for tickets and Homecoming attract more students?

SW corner is visitor tickets. Very poor showing by Illinois.

Generally, paying less for a ticket makes you feel less bad if you choose not to go.

You would feel worse for missing something that cost you $100 than you would $20

It's cold and 11am kickoff lol I got home at 1:17 in the morning after the game I officiated last night resumed after a 2 1/2 hour weather delay. I got up at 6 to drive 2 1/2 hours for the game in which I dressed appropriately for the weather. I'm sorry but those are some lousy excuses. I woke up and looked at the weather to figure out what type of clothing I should wear.

There's so much talk and concern that the University needs to put the students lower to the field for more louder hostle environment but after the display I saw earlier this afternoon at kickoff was very concerning and pathetic. You act like a 11am kickoff time is impossible for students to show up too. The students live in Lincoln and you guys don't have to wake up several hours early to make a long drive to attend the game.

• Fire 1

As a recent grad and student empathizer, even I thought it was pathetic. I remember being at one of the coldest games I've ever been a part of (2008 vs. KU), and IIRC, the student section was a little empty but not as bad as today. Start of the 3rd quarter and almost the entire upper section was gone.

All that said - anyone who gets legitimately pissed/upset about this needs to give it a rest. Bye bye said it perfectly - students treat it like an event, they pay next to nothing and are there to have a good time. Even though it wasn't that cold, I don't care if they deck out early. Yeah it's kind of sucky but it's not worth getting worked up over, and the Huskers should play well regardless of who is in the stadium.

On a big 3rd down play in the second quarter I saw thousands of fans sitting on their butt not making a blip of noise. What's the difference between that and a thousand students being gone? Not much, imho.