Student section

Apathy

Not to mention that I think this generation of students does not exactly have their hopes and dreams pinned on Husker football. These kids grew up with the Frank Solich and Callahan era... not exactly the same pedigree as the 70s, 80s and 90s where NU was consistently in the title hunt.

Maybe NU needs to advertise in the Daily Nebraskan and reassure students that you CAN still text, send emails, and use apps and not pay attention for all four quarters next to the blue-hairs who sew, crochet, not make a sound except to complain, and don't pay any attention either.

I agree with the WSJ that getting some cell service would probably help. I know I want to text my friends about the game and check updates on twitter and scores from around the CFB world, etc. It's nothing that would ever prevent me from going to a game, but hey, time goes by, kids are different, who knows

Actually I had a buddy who worked on the cell towers in the stadium this summer. You can check updates on the internet all day like it's nothing and send texts but media messages and uploading crap to FB isn't happening during the game. He said the system is already one of the most advanced in the nation and Verizon already wanted to upgrade it before it was even finished. But they're not the official sponsor anymore so I don't know how that will work now.

I've used it for 3 games this year, and I can check espn score center and get on the internet all be it slowly. Wasn't sure about texts because they send, but you never really know if the other person receives it or not. If you have 3g though you're probably f'ed. Obviously right before the game and at halftime you're not going to be doing much of anything. The first game of the year it was blazing from the student section, I sent messages and got on the web pregame and during kick off like it was nothing. But i did notice that from west stadium last game it was pretty slow. Like I said though what we have now is suppose to be one of the better setups in the country. I think your really asking a lot when you have almost over 90,000 Devices in about a city block sized area.

We really bitching about the only people in the stadium that stand up all game, get dressed like crazy, cheer and shout on every play reguardless of the score or opponent? Talking about the fact that we get lower prices? How about you pay my $4,000 tution bill and $500 In books. f#*k we should get tickets for free. We support the school financially and otherwise that majority of fans do not. Next time maybe you should bitch at the grandma yelling at you to sit down two rows above you instead of students who didn't show up to an 11 am game when there was a massive cold front which included a 25 degree change in a day. On top of that a lackluster team recently. I've been to 5 away games and I'll tell you that memorial stadium is not near as loud or intimidating as much smaller stadiums. That's not the students fault. A sellout steak with a bunch non cheering, complaining blue hairs bragging about having 50 yard line tickets because they've been in the family is as good as gone to me. How about we nut up and stop complaining about everything that can possibly be brought up.

http://sdn.unl.edu/funding_sources

"State appropriations accounted for 26 percent of the budget in 2009-2010"

Guess they haven't edumacated you about this little thing called "taxes" yet. So since the rest of us have indeed been paying for your education, do we get free tickets too?

Maybe you should try a year at a private school like Wesleyan and see if you still think your UNL tuition is still high.

• Fire 1

In a perfect world, students should not be charged for tickets, and EVERY student who wants to go to the game should have a chance at a ticket. Tickets for students will be on sale the day of the game, get in line, so they buy their tickets and go into the stadium, go directly into the stadium, they do not pass go, they do not collect $200.

Any left over tickets will go to fans who don't attend the university. Divide them up however, since college athletics has mutated into something completely different from what Teddy Roosevelt pushed in the first place:

"...In college and in most of the schools which are preparatory for college rowing, foot-ball, base-ball, running, jumping, sparring, and the like have assumed a constantly increasing prominence. Nor is this in any way a matter for regret. Of course any good is accompanied by some evil; and a small number of college boys, who would probably turn out badly anyhow, neglect everything for their sports, and so become of little use to themselves or any one else."

http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/images/research/speeches/trprosports.pdf

People get on the students to much for this.

1. The seats kind of stink

2. The game time plays a huge factor

3. The opposing team plays a huge factor

4. The weather plays a huge factor.

I know there are a lot of the "When I went to school..." but for a lot of us, not every single game was on TV and that really does change things.

I know there are a lot of the "When I went to school..." but for a lot of us, not every single game was on TV and that really does change things.

For me, it's more the fact that I only get the opportunity to go to 1 game each year (if I'm lucky) so I don't understand how someone can take it for granted. But then again, I've been a die-hard Husker fan from a really young age. My first real memory of the Huskers was watching them beat Tennessee for the National Championship at the end of the 1997 season. Anyone a couple years younger than me (and even some my age) don't have any memories of the Huskers being truly dominant. I guess 15 years of mediocrity doesn't really translate to a rabid fan base.

For me, it's more the fact that I only get the opportunity to go to 1 game each year (if I'm lucky) so I don't understand how someone can take it for granted. But then again, I've been a die-hard Husker fan from a really young age. My first real memory of the Huskers was watching them beat Tennessee for the National Championship at the end of the 1997 season. Anyone a couple years younger than me (and even some my age) don't have any memories of the Huskers being truly dominant. I guess 15 years of mediocrity doesn't really translate to a rabid fan base.

Now that really changes things, if you are not able to go to a lot of games, then the times you do get to go are super fun. I can understand that 100%.

I usually get to make it to Lincoln about 5 times a year and I LOVE it but I hardly ever go into the game. I just love the atmosphere.

We really bitching about the only people in the stadium that stand up all game, get dressed like crazy, cheer and shout on every play reguardless of the score or opponent? Talking about the fact that we get lower prices? How about you pay my $4,000 tution bill and $500 In books. f#*k we should get tickets for free. We support the school financially and otherwise that majority of fans do not. Next time maybe you should bitch at the grandma yelling at you to sit down two rows above you instead of students who didn't show up to an 11 am game when there was a massive cold front which included a 25 degree change in a day. On top of that a lackluster team recently. I've been to 5 away games and I'll tell you that memorial stadium is not near as loud or intimidating as much smaller stadiums. That's not the students fault. A sellout steak with a bunch non cheering, complaining blue hairs bragging about having 50 yard line tickets because they've been in the family is as good as gone to me. How about we nut up and stop complaining about everything that can possibly be brought up.
Uh oh. I can see the reaction now.

I would assume A LOT of fans have to make donations for their season tickets? Isn't that supporting the university financially?

Yup. It is the one sentence that just ruins the rest of the argument, which was otherwise pretty solid.

The rest of the argument presupposes that every other fan there is sitting mum throughout the game, and that's simply not true. I "stand up all game, cheer and shout on every play regardless of the score or opponent."

I also paid tuition at UNL for my schooling, paid for my tickets when I was an undergrad, and have paid to the University Athletic fund since the early 90s. I'm gonna say with some pretty good confidence that I've paid more money to that university than any current student. So the "I'm a student now, I'm entitled to _______" argument holds zero water.

The "grandma yelling at you to sit down two rows above you" is the exception, not the norm. I've gone to games at Memorial Stadium since the mid 80s and I've been told to sit down once.

It was cold? The opponent stunk? Sorry, zero sympathy there. It's a cold-weather sport, and I've gone to games against crap opponents where, when I left the stadium, I could barely feel my feet.

I've been to several away games as well. All of them have been quieter than Memorial Stadium, and that includes the fact that 1/3 - 2/3 of the fans at each game I've attended were Husker fans. Memorial Stadium isn't the loudest place, but it's pretty damned loud. Bitching at "the blue hairs" has become a convenient excuse often not rooted in reality.

This isn't a huge bitch directed at Blackshirt007, but he does bring up a bunch of points that are becoming urban legends surrounding that stadium on game days, and they're simply not true.

That said, throughout all of this discussion, has anyone got any actual idea how many student tickets were used during the Illinois game? Unless I missed it, both the "student section was too empty" advocates and the "students cram in like sardines" advocates seem to be basing their points on eyeball assessments. Did I miss where the actual factual numbers were posted?

• Fire 1

That said, throughout all of this discussion, has anyone got any actual idea how many student tickets were used during the Illinois game? Unless I missed it, both the "student section was too empty" advocates and the "students cram in like sardines" advocates seem to be basing their points on eyeball assessments. Did I miss where the actual factual numbers were posted?

Official attendance was 90,458 - about 150 fewer than SDSU the week before and about 1,000 fewer than UCLA (current record). Not sure how many were in the student section.