Martinez returns to practice

Can't wait for a healthy Taylor to get back on the field.

Seconded.

If he's 100% play him, but as we've all been saying, he's got to be able to run if we're going to use him. We're just not the same offense if he can't and I'd rather have TA in there instead if that's the case.

I'm pretty sure the coaches knew exactly how hurt he was for the UCLA game.

I think they knew he was hurting, but not hurting as bad as he was. As a matter of fact, I think Beck asked him after one of the games how he was feeling and Taylor said "I'll be alright." I think that is what prompted the whole "he has to be honest with us" comment...

Ya, I think they had some idea he wasn't right but I can't imagine Beck knew how hobbled TM was. It would be illogical to waste plays and expose his lack of mobility to UCLA by trying to run him on a bad wheel. I imagine they would've had TA or RK prepared to go in if they knew how limited TM was. I also imagine they'll want solid proof of his health before playing him again.

Taylor was hurt in game one and by UCLA was only about 30-40% with his mobility. He is not nor will he be 100% the rest of the year. The best to hope for is a 90-95% Taylor. We hope to give him a few reps as we need him against better defenses namely Northwestern and MSU. I'll be shocked if he plays the whole game. He still may not play at all this week.

• Fire 1

If resting him for one more week would get him to 90-100%, would you rest him? Minn winning last week, doesn't look like the sure win, it did early in the season. TA should start and Taylor should maybe get some playing time late, to knock the rust off. Unless Minn is hanging with us, then maybe time to hand the team back to Taylor. GBR!!!

Taylor was hurt in game one and by UCLA was only about 30-40% with his mobility. He is not nor will he be 100% the rest of the year. The best to hope for is a 90-95% Taylor. We hope to give him a few reps as we need him against better defenses namely Northwestern and MSU. I'll be shocked if he plays the whole game. He still may not play at all this week.

Taylor was hurt in game one but he will be the starter for Northwestern and MSU, barring any further setbacks with the injury. You can take that to the bank. I do agree that we may never see a 100% Taylor again though. Turf toe can be a real b#tch to get over.

As a health care professional I can tell you this...

Turf Toe can heal in 3 weeks if it's not too severe. Doctors say at a minimum the person needs 3 weeks off the foot to immobilize the joint to let it heal properly. The coaches have had Taylor out for 5 full weeks now. At this point, if it isn't fully healed and he still isn't able to fully push into the ground for full explosiveness even with custom orthopedic shoes designed to stabilize the toe... (like the coaches illuded to yesterday), then I would say it was pretty severe and may not be fully healed yet. The danger of coming back before it is fully healed, means it could re-aggrivate and put him right back where he was, i.e. disabled. Which is why we saw him making inaccurate throws and not running when we thought he should run during the second couple games of the season. The last thing we need is for him to come back for Minnesota and Northwestern and then re-aggravate it going into Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State. The bad thing about this injury though is, if he has already sat out 5 weeks and isn't 100%... then there's probably not much an extra week or two will do for him. And we don't want him coming back for the Michigan game being rusty after not having practiced in 7-8 weeks. Even then, the chance of re-aggravating it would be about as high.

So the coaches could maybe sit him out one more week... but after that, it's gonna have to be... is he good enough to be a better option than Tommy and Ron or is he still disabled and not playing like himself. Because if we pull him for Northwestern then it would not be good bringing him back for his first game against Michigan in the Big House having been out 7 weeks.

• Fire 1

How many players are better than 90-95% eight weeks into the season?

Absolutely nothing at all wrong with that.

Turf Toe can heal in 3 weeks if it's not too severe. Doctors say at a minimum the person needs 3 weeks off the foot to immobilize the joint to let it heal properly. The coaches have had Taylor out for 5 full weeks now. At this point, if it isn't fully healed and he still isn't able to fully push into the ground for full explosiveness even with custom orthopedic shoes designed to stabilize the toe... (like the coaches illuded to yesterday), then I would say it was pretty severe and may not be fully healed yet. The danger of coming back before it is fully healed, means it could re-aggrivate and put him right back where he was, i.e. disabled. Which is why we saw him making inaccurate throws and not running when we thought he should run during the second couple games of the season. The last thing we need is for him to come back for Minnesota and Northwestern and then re-aggravate it going into Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State. The bad thing about this injury though is, if he has already sat out 5 weeks and isn't 100%... then there's probably not much an extra week or two will do for him. And we don't want him coming back for the Michigan game being rusty after not having practiced in 7-8 weeks. Even then, the chance of re-aggravating it would be about as high.

So the coaches could maybe sit him out one more week... but after that, it's gonna have to be... is he good enough to be a better option than Tommy and Ron or is he still disabled and not playing like himself. Because if we pull him for Northwestern then it would not be good bringing him back for his first game against Michigan in the Big House having been out 7 weeks.

^This

Can't you also just shoot the toe chock full 'o' cortisone and let Taylor play with reckless abandon? It's a terrible strategy for long term healing, but at a certain point you'd have to say this senior season is all Taylor has left to play for, and if aggrivated turf toe is the worst outcome, it's not a huge risk to his personal health or slim professional football ambitions.

Some NFL teams are held together entirely by cortisone.

Can't you also just shoot the toe chock full 'o' cortisone and let Taylor play with reckless abandon? It's a terrible strategy for long term healing, but at a certain point you'd have to say this senior season is all Taylor has left to play for, and if aggrivated turf toe is the worst outcome, it's not a huge risk to his personal health or slim professional football ambitions.

Some NFL teams are held together entirely by cortisone.

Then you run the risk of complete rupture....

Then he's screwed......