NU football coaching...Colorado Avalanche Hockey...I'm going somewhere with this

Foppa

My second favorite sports team is the Colorado Avalanche. I love hockey. But lately, the Avs have been quite terrible. Lots of young talent, but haven't put it together. Couldn't seem to get a proper game plan in place to get wins. Last year, second to last in the Western Conference.

But then...

They hired Joe Sakic, an Avs legend, to their executive management. And then...they hired Patrick Roy, Their Hall of Famer goalie to Head Coach and VP of Hockey Operations.

This year, they are 9-1 so far, and playing inspired hockey. Pretty damn good hockey. Fun to watch hockey. Still young, still growing, but playing like they really mean it.

I look at it this way: They've got two of the biggest legends in the game not just coaching and directing, but also giving them whatever resources and advice they can. Maybe their past coaches have been ok...but...why didn't they play harder than they should've? What was the issue? All I know is, these guys are probably over-achieving.

But...

They've got two guys who won two Stanley Cups controlling the organization, and they want good things from their team. It seems like the players are responding. It seems like it's working.

Am I implying anything? Maybe. Maybe I'm desperate for the Huskers, trying to find an answer if this coaching staff isn't it. I know...hockey, football....apples and oranges...but still...

I'll leave it there. A bit long. Have a good night.

just like in Kansas city...Andy Reid came in, made 1 primary personnel change at quarterback(not a Peyton Manning), took last years players and now have the Kansas City Chiefs going for 8-0 today with a absolutely nasty, dominating defense. we had 6 pro bowlers last year and a 2-14 season.

just like in Kansas city...Andy Reid came in, made 1 primary personnel change at quarterback(not a Peyton Manning), took last years players and now have the Kansas City Chiefs going for 8-0 today with a absolutely nasty, dominating defense. we had 6 pro bowlers last year and a 2-14 season.

The thing about that, is Andy Reid was in Philadelphia forever. They thought he was a bum, and fired him. Now in KC he's a friggin genius. I guess the key is getting the right pieces of the puzzle to fit together. Or maybe it's just a matter of recognizing when the right puzzle pieces are sitting on your bench. :dunno

So let's run with this idea. Using the above example, who would you choose for your Head Coach? Let's say you choose Scott Frost. He's a legend at NU, is OC for a winning team in Oregon, young, talented-right? Who would you choose for your DC and OC then? What former Husker legends would you tap and realistically, which legends are coaches and could coach effectively here?

Yeah, Bob D, did the same thing when he was hired, here.... I think maybe Bo needs to hire a DC that will not be a yes man, to him. We sure had better D's when his brother was here. I thought Bo might hire M Stoops, when he was out there. Some one that would fire back at Bo, not afraid to disagree with Bo, "out loud". To many yes men on this staff, to many cronies that won't or don't have the balls, to tell Bo he's wrong when he's wrong. This buddy, buddy stuff is going to cost Bo, sooner or later.... GBR!!!

We already did this until we fired the legacy coach in 2003. And with the NFL references, it's too early to claim either Kansas City or Denver as head coaching hiring successes if championships are the discussion. On the other side of the coin in the NFL you have the Pittsburgh Steelers. Started off 0-4, but didn't make off the cuff coaching changes. Their consistency in coaches is one of the reasons they have more Lombardi's than any other team. Nebraska has seen what changing coaches every 6 years will do........we've also see what keeping one around for 25 years can do.

My second favorite sports team is the Colorado Avalanche. I love hockey. But lately, the Avs have been quite terrible. Lots of young talent, but haven't put it together. Couldn't seem to get a proper game plan in place to get wins. Last year, second to last in the Western Conference.

But then...

They hired Joe Sakic, an Avs legend, to their executive management. And then...they hired Patrick Roy, Their Hall of Famer goalie to Head Coach and VP of Hockey Operations.

This year, they are 9-1 so far, and playing inspired hockey. Pretty damn good hockey. Fun to watch hockey. Still young, still growing, but playing like they really mean it.

I look at it this way: They've got two of the biggest legends in the game not just coaching and directing, but also giving them whatever resources and advice they can. Maybe their past coaches have been ok...but...why didn't they play harder than they should've? What was the issue? All I know is, these guys are probably over-achieving.

But...

They've got two guys who won two Stanley Cups controlling the organization, and they want good things from their team. It seems like the players are responding. It seems like it's working.

Am I implying anything? Maybe. Maybe I'm desperate for the Huskers, trying to find an answer if this coaching staff isn't it. I know...hockey, football....apples and oranges...but still...

To be honest, I would rather hire a coach who has no ties to Nebraska but who knows the game and knows how to coach than a splash legend hire that hasn't tried his hand at coaching.

But then...

But...

To be honest, I would rather hire a coach who has no ties to Nebraska but who knows the game and knows how to coach than a splash legend hire that hasn't tried his hand at coaching.

Bingo, if there was a guy with NU ties that was qualified, then that would be an added bounus. But since there isn't, we need to forget about forcing another unexperienced coordinator into a HC position here a NU just because they have ties to the school. And yes I am talking about Frost, he is not ready and at most should be offered a coordinator job if the new HC decides that they want him.

Being an Av's fan and a Husker fan, let me get this straight....

etiher,

a) We hire Joe Sakic as our AD and Patrick Roy as our head coach

b) We hire Turner Gill as our AD and Tommy Frazier as our head coach

c) We hire two dudes from North Platte to run the whole thing...

That booster from North Platte would probably do a damn good job here.

The AVs look great this year Foppa. I'm excited about that team. There is no sport where they play harder than the NHL playoffs. None.

I like the idea but......

1. We tried it already with TO as AD and with Solich as coach. Not at the same time but we tried it. I'd be OK trying again if the right people were there. I can't see them. Can you?

2. Roy almost started a fight in that first game. I thought it was awesome, and that is how Bo used to be but for some reason people here complain about that stuff. Actually, if the Avs were 1-9 they'd complain about Roy doing it too. Winning solves all behavior issues.

3. Half the people on this board don't watch hockey and have no idea what you just said.