Ever think Martinez is the problem

All I know, is the defense has been mostly sh#t for 14 1/2 of 16 quarters under Taylor. It's been in lights out shut down mode for about the same amount without. That's not coincidence. It's a full blown pattern. And if you say the qb shouldnt affect the desire and confidence of a defense, then you probably havent played the sport. Players in all phases of the game sense leadership and urgency from their leader. I just dont think Taylor has those attributes, and that's not some fly by night observation in the wake of his sudden absence. It's been a trend that's been discussed for all of his 4 years here. Tommy and Ron both show them qualities. Tommy threw three intereceptions yesterday, one that was supposed to cost us the game, but yet there he was, involved on the sidelines, urging the crowd on as the defense made one last stand. There he was involved as Ron lead us into position.

So your argument is the defense plays slightly better against weaker competition, so obviously Martinez is to blame when the defense doesn't step up against the better teams we play...

Am I being punked? Where are you Ashton?

What's with the competition argument all the time. What's the big difference outside of UCLA? Is Minnesota really a juggernaut next to NW just because they sqeeked by them?

One side: Wyoming, So Miss (probably worse than SDSU, Purdue, and Illionois), UCLA, and Minnesota

Other side: SDSU, Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern.

Again, outside of UCLA, the competition arguement is rather silly too. It's not that far off. And as far as the argument of what Taylor did last year, that has nothing to do with this year. But sorry, i'm sticking with my premesis on this. Football is about a lot of mentality and psychology. I pay attention to these kinds of things rather than x's and o's. This is an obvious assessment at this point.

Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern have yet to win games in conference play. Hell, they might go winless in conference. Yes, Minnesota is a giant compared to all 4 listed teams. I don't get how you can watch horrible play by TA and RK3 (INTs, overthrows, etc) and dismiss it but blame Martinez for any problem (sacks caused by horrible OLine, dropped passes that hit receivers in the hands) .

I'm not blaming Martinez for anything. I just happen to see that obviously, the whole team is just responding better to the intangible qualities put forth by Tommy and Ron. Christ almighty, even our punter couldnt do his job against Minnesota.

LMAO!

Guess you and I have no clue as to what we see Mr. Accountability!

I don't know how anyone who has been a Husker fan and watching our team perform week in and week out can't see the mental edge our whole team plays with when TA or RKIII is in there. Again, I am not throwing TM under the bus here but the team plays fragmented under TM for some reason. I am not in the huddle so I don't know what it is but it is plain as day to me! TA has made some bad decisions and forced throws but still the team looks to be more effective than with TM under center. If TM comes back 100% healthy so be it, hats off to him and let him have his day on the field. Also; I too wish TA and or RKIII would have seen action in the Minnesota game just to see if gave us a spark. That is on Beck and Bo.

and NO, nobody is saying TA is the savior just yet!

+1 Mr. Accountability for the punter reference hehehe :clap

Hey, there's something about your offense getting the ball and marching straight down the field for a touchdown that kind of motivates the team. If I recall right, TA has done this on the opening drive of each of his starts. It sets the tone and makes everyone feel like if they do their job today, they can compete for a win. Let's stop bitching about it and embrace TA. The guy is our next long term QB IMO.

Taylor marched the team down for an opening TD and a 10-0 lead against Minnesota. Try again.

Taylor marched them down for three TDs against UCLA.

Then the defenses adjust. We don't. And suddenly everyone gets the yips.

Also, our defense just isn't very good. Unfortunately, that hasn't been a variable.

Also, our defense just isn't very good. Unfortunately, that hasn't been a variable.

Perhaps this was just a general complaint. But I think it's pretty obvious that this is a huge variable. We were much better in the first half against UCLA than the second half. We were much better in the second half against NW than the first half. We were much better against Illinois and Purdue than Minnesota.

You can say it as much as you want and I still won't agree with you.

You can not agree with him all you want but the numbers don't back you up....that makes you wrong.

Numbers require interpretation. If there was an completely objective system of analysis, Huskerboard would be a very boring place.

Lots of variables in this question and declaring yourself "right" or another person "wrong" reflects poorly on the accuser...

I'll take TA over TM.

Hey, there's something about your offense getting the ball and marching straight down the field for a touchdown that kind of motivates the team. If I recall right, TA has done this on the opening drive of each of his starts. It sets the tone and makes everyone feel like if they do their job today, they can compete for a win. Let's stop bitching about it and embrace TA. The guy is our next long term QB IMO.

Taylor marched the team down for an opening TD and a 10-0 lead against Minnesota. Try again.

Hmm. You two have a point. Well at least I took a shot at an explanation which is more than I can say for either of you. I guess it really doesn't even matter. I can't explain it, it may be an illusion. All that matters is TA is 4-0 as a starter and I am hoping that number goes to 5-0 this weekend.

Since this thread is still hovering around here.....there were times in the NW game when I thought Martinez would've been the best qb to play for that situation. If you have to pass then TM is far more experienced with routes, has for the most part gotten over throwing picks just to make something happen, and is pretty darned accurate when he has time to look. It's his injuries that keep us from wanting him to run and that limits what we can do.

Hmm. You two have a point. Well at least I took a shot at an explanation which is more than I can say for either of you. I guess it really doesn't even matter. I can't explain it, it may be an illusion. All that matters is TA is 4-0 as a starter and I am hoping that number goes to 5-0 this weekend.

Cody Green was undefeated a starter.

Just sayin

Hey, I thought I offered an explanation.

We come out with a good game plan. Both Martinez and Armstrong execute it well. Then the defenses adjust and we don't.

That's why the things that worked so well in the first quarter don't always work so well in the second quarter. Or second half. It's not exclusive to Martinez or Armstrong, or even Nebraska. Happens all over football.

And we want Tommy to be the future, so we give him leeway we don't give Martinez.

But per the title of the thread: the defense is a really big part of the problem. The gameplan doesn't get to play to our strength when we're forced to play catch up. Taylor was pretty good at that last year, not so much against UCLA and Minny this year. Armstrong is learning under fire, and we might as well find out what he's made of.

Just sayin

Ok? Does Cody Green still play for Nebraska? Nope, but if he was our starting QB I would root for him. I hope at some point you began to grasp that Taylor graduates this year and Tommy Armstrong will likely be our starting Qb for awhile. It seems like you don't even want to root for the kid. At least that's what I gather from your Cody Green comment.

Just sayin

Let me put it this way. What the hell is your motive?

Would you like me to say TM is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be?

We come out with a good game plan. Both Martinez and Armstrong execute it well. Then the defenses adjust and we don't.

I think you're dealing with a pretty small sample size. It was almost the opposite last year. Against Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan, Penn St. and Iowa we scored more points in the second half.

Hey, I thought I offered an explanation.

That's why the things that worked so well in the first quarter don't always work so well in the second quarter. Or second half. It's not exclusive to Martinez or Armstrong, or even Nebraska. Happens all over football.

And we want Tommy to be the future, so we give him leeway we don't give Martinez.

But per the title of the thread: the defense is a really big part of the problem. The gameplan doesn't get to play to our strength when we're forced to play catch up. Taylor was pretty good at that last year, not so much against UCLA and Minny this year. Armstrong is learning under fire, and we might as well find out what he's made of.

You see. This is the problem right here. Let me tell you there is absolutely no way Taylor Martinez is the problem, but here is what happens. Somehow praising TA gets spun into somehow diminishing TM. The DEFENSE IS THE PROBLEM. PERIOD.

Cody Green wasn't very good. In addition to being pulled in Q1 of one of his starts (Oklahoma), he also had a lot of Rexcat to rely on in some of the others. Thank goodness for that.

Cody Green was a total project as a passer and as a quarterback despite his HS stats, had good frame and athleticism but very little lateral speed, acceleration, or running instincts. There's "raw", which every freshman is, and "project", which is something else entirely. It's sort of similar to Taylor, but Taylor was even more of a project passing...but at least he had unreal acceleration and could take off. And whereas Green played scared all the time, Taylor had the right attitude - unflappable, always competing. The fact that Green was undefeated as a starter speaks really to the overall quality of the team during his time here.

Cody Green wasn't very good. In addition to being pulled in Q1 of one of his starts (Oklahoma), he also had a lot of Rexcat to rely on in some of the others. Thank goodness for that.

Cody Green was a total project as a passer and as a quarterback despite his HS stats, had good frame and athleticism but very little lateral speed, acceleration, or running instincts. There's "raw", which every freshman is, and "project", which is something else entirely. The fact that he was undefeated as a starter speaks really to the overall quality of the team during his time here.

Truth