Ever think Martinez is the problem

Whats really sad is that people are bickering over 2.9 turnovers per game, and willing to accept the 1.25 turnovers per game...

Reading is so hard. Nobody's "willing to accept" the turnovers. The point of this thread is that Martinez is/was the reason Nebraska had the litany of problems it had, from defensive implosions to turnovers to lackluster play. The answer to that was to point out that, in Martinez' absence, those problems continue.

Were Martinez to be the problem, his absence should have meant the problems ended, or began to abate. But they didn't. So that theory is bogus.

• Fire 1

Whats really sad is that people are bickering over 2.9 turnovers per game, and willing to accept the 1.25 turnovers per game...

Reading is so hard. Nobody's "willing to accept" the turnovers. The point of this thread is that Martinez is/was the reason Nebraska had the litany of problems it had, from defensive implosions to turnovers to lackluster play. The answer to that was to point out that, in Martinez' absence, those problems continue.

Were Martinez to be the problem, his absence should have meant the problems ended, or began to abate. But they didn't. So that theory is bogus.

No, knapp, he was on the sidelines and still a part of the team. Thus, the root cause of every problem. Next year it will all be better when he is not associated with the team anymore.

As an aside, I really hope he stays on as a grad assistant just to watch the heads explode around here...

2-2 with Taylor, 6-2 without. Turnovers would of been the same with Taylor, add more fumbles, subtract some interceptions. No ability to run still at 70%. I think we end up with the same record with injured Taylor or possibly one more loss.

We had five turnovers while Martinez was in the game this year - 1.25 per game. We had 23 turnovers the rest of the time - 2.9 per game. Good try though.

In 2012 the team had 35 turnovers with Taylor at the helm, which comes out to...2.5 turnovers a game. Over the rest of the season it would have been the same either way my good sir. You underestimate the turnover power of T-Magic. Also Taylor played against our noncon schedule, while the backups had to play our conference schedule. Taylor had an interception and a fumble in the one conference game he played.

Taylor surely had issues with turnovers. But... he also had the ability to make huge plays to offset those turnovers.

Tommy's best play in 2013 was handing the ball off.

2-2 with Taylor, 6-2 without. Turnovers would of been the same with Taylor, add more fumbles, subtract some interceptions. No ability to run still at 70%. I think we end up with the same record with injured Taylor or possibly one more loss.

We had five turnovers while Martinez was in the game this year - 1.25 per game. We had 23 turnovers the rest of the time - 2.9 per game. Good try though.

In 2012 the team had 35 turnovers with Taylor at the helm, which comes out to...2.5 turnovers a game. Over the rest of the season it would have been the same either way my good sir. You underestimate the turnover power of T-Magic. Also Taylor played against our noncon schedule, while the backups had to play our conference schedule. Taylor had an interception and a fumble in the one conference game he played.

Taylor surely had issues with turnovers. But... he also had the ability to make huge plays to offset those turnovers.

Tommy's best play in 2013 was handing the ball off.

That's not true....

He pitched it in the option too.

Glorified handoff.

:)

Watching the way this season ended I think it's clear the theory that Martinez is the root cause of the problem is foolish. It's tough to work with hypotheticals - we can't say one way or the other whether this team would have had more or less turnovers with TM at the helm because he wasn't. He was on the sidelines.

We can look at what actually took place on the field, and that was a lack of focus, lack of discipline, high amount of turnovers, dropped passes and injuries. Injuries played a big part in all this but we even had veteran guys making mistakes. For example, as valuable as Ameer Abdullah was to this football team, he had a big fumble in every one of Nebraska's losses, and he's done this in the past. He fumbled against Georgia in the bowl game and he fumbled at a crucial time against South Carolina in a bowl game.

And you know this .... how?

Yep, the dilusuonal fans brainwashed themselves into believing that Taylor was problem. They convinced themselves that the team had more confidence and played harder for Tommy. It didn't matter that anyone objective could see that was not the case, by golly Taylor was the root of all evils, thus would never win a championship here. Didnt matter that the defenses and offensive lines were inconsistent to bad most of his career.

Put Taylor on those great teams of the 90s, and he has a drawer full of rings. That my friends is the truth.

• Fire 1

Right. A game where he turned it over one time. Got it.

I'll definitely be curious to see who the universal scapegoat is next year. You know, other than the media.

Do you honestly believe that the media hasn't just been pouring gasoline on this whole dumpster fire? I mean since you obviously think all they are is a scapegoat. They didn't necessarily start the fire but they've certainly been fueling it (insert Billy Joel reference here).

Right. A game where he turned it over one time. Got it.

I'll definitely be curious to see who the universal scapegoat is next year. You know, other than the media.

Do you honestly believe that the media hasn't just been pouring gasoline on this whole dumpster fire? I mean since you obviously think all they are is a scapegoat. They didn't necessarily start the fire but they've certainly been fueling it (insert Billy Joel reference here).

I think in this country, we've created a boogeyman out of "the media", not just at the local level. As it related to Nebraska football, we've decided that all of our problems pertain to how "the media" handles and covers the program. Some folks think they are supposed to lob softball questions at Pelini and only write fluff pieces. If you want that, read the Nside blog or listen to Sports Nightly. If you can point out something that "the media" reported that is factually inaccurate, then maybe you have a point. But when "the media" writes an article that compiles or cites unfavorable (but true) statistics about the program, that isn't being unfair. That's called reporting. Do I always agree with the take home point of the articles? No, but that doesn't necessarily make the content inaccurate. I agree that Pelini doesn't have a good relationship with most of the local media, though the blame for that is at least 50% his own.

If "the media" poured the gasoline, Bo lit the match.

• Fire 2