Punt Returns

C N Red

Special teams likely will play a huge role in this game, be it punt returns, punting, or any aspect of the kicking game. IMO we need to win on special teams and turnovers to have a chance. Our D should be fine if we can maintain some reasonable field position but, if we start giving them short field looks, it could be a long day. And our O is going to need all the help they can get against that MSU defense. Would really love to see us perform well in the punting game (kicks & returns) for once this season.

Who would you put back there based on what you've seen?

That's just it, I don't know. But I haven't seen practice either so I'm guessing there isn't anyone else the coaches trust apparently.

Ameer would be my first choice, but that won't and probably shouldn't happen. Bell would be another choice, but probably not going to happen either.

Maybe I'm just not seeing things right. Does he have that quickness and I'm just not seeing it??

I don't know if he does either. I watched Sammy Watkins catch a screen last night, standing still, and he was at full speed in maybe 3 strides. I don't think Westerkamp (or most players in the country) are going to be like that, but I get what you're saying. I think he's serviceable, but I feel that a lot of it comes down to the blocking. He rarely even gets to take a full stride without a guy being on him immediately.

By step 3 he was in a different gear. Martinez is the only guy I have seen with quicker acceleration. If Martinez could learn to run ie juke and lower a shoulder, he would be a hell of a return man at the next level.

Again, this might be the game that the staff unleashes on the opposing team. New punt return scheme ie actually set them up to return, angled punts to pin them deep, possibly going after the punter and good kick return game.

Special teams likely will play a huge role in this game, be it punt returns, punting, or any aspect of the kicking game. IMO we need to win on special teams and turnovers to have a chance. Our D should be fine if we can maintain some reasonable field position but, if we start giving them short field looks, it could be a long day. And our O is going to need all the help they can get against that MSU defense. Would really love to see us perform well in the punting game (kicks & returns) for once this season.

Field position will be huge. We need to pin them deep and make their O work the length of the field. Same with our return game. Catch the ball and get up field. Get as much yardage as we can to help the O out. Unsure how we will do having to drive 80+ for points.

Based upon the fact that we have had to watch 2 years of punt return nightmares (drops,fumbles, downed inside the 5), I'll take Westy right now. It does represent progress over the last couple of years. Field position is so important and they used to just give it away on punt return.

That being said, I'm with EZ, I don't understand why we don't go after one when Westy is going to fair catch it anyway.