Fact is: "NU might be good at football"...Truth is: "NCAA quit playing football"

funhusker

I was thankful last year when they made the same call on Sparty on an interception return that saved us the game, so why should ai be upset that they called it against us today.

Yeah, not even close to the same call.

not to mention that you can be thankful for a bad call that helps your team. i am sure psu fans were thankful. that does not mean it was not a bad call.

This thread reminds me when I was back for the UCLA game this year, and took the people I was with into North stadium. We watched an old Blackshirts video and you can just sit there, and say to yourself--"targeting, blow to the head, leading with helmet, etc"

Not the best feeling you can have about the future of football.

This thread reminds me when I was back for the UCLA game this year, and took the people I was with into North stadium. We watched an old Blackshirts video and you can just sit there, and say to yourself--"targeting, blow to the head, leading with helmet, etc"

Not the best feeling you can have about the future of football.

I also think it's a little odd that the first three or four clips on the video all resulted in penalties. Not that I agree with the penalties but that's still a little odd.

The past two years at the high school level here in Nebraska, my team has gotten flagged for maintaining a block away from the play. A MAINTAIN. Didn't even knock the kid down, it was just my tackle pushing a kid 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Ironically it was against the same team both years. Is this kind of like the call made today?

I wanted to look at this closer. The official wording was: "Personal Foul... Late Hit. Unnecessary Roughness."

Okay, there's already some confusion. Late hit is an actual rule:

Late Hit, Action Out of Bounds

ARTICLE 7.

• There shall be no piling on, falling on or throwing the body on an opponent after the ball becomes dead (A.R. 9-1-7-I).
  • No opponent shall tackle or block the runner when he is clearly out of bounds or throw him to the ground after the ball becomes dead.
  • It is illegal for any player to be clearly out of bounds when he initiates a block against an opponent who is out of bounds. The spot of the foul is where the blocker crosses the sideline in going out of bounds.

So clearly it was not a dead ball or out of bounds, so this rule cannot apply.

"Unnecessary roughness" is not an actual rule, but a general term referred to in the rulebook. So basically it comes down to the blanket first sentence of the Personal Fouls section:

All fouls in this section (unless noted) and any other acts of unnecessary

roughness are personal fouls.

That's it. Extremely vague and totally up for interpretation.

Bo absolutely laid into the refs, and they completely deserved it this time. Sam Burtch's block was completely legal in terms of how he hit the defender, and though I didn't get to hear the ref's rationale, it sounds like they penalized Burtch for an unnecessary roughness block because the defender was behind Abdullah.

From my point of view, if a defender is trying to make a football play (as he was in this case) then he is open to what Burtch did to him. 99/100 times I don't think that penalty is called. I also didn't see anybody false start on Nebraska's field goal.

Just terrible officiating and we're fortunate they didn't cost us the game. Perhaps it was a PSU alum on the ref squad.

The past two years at the high school level here in Nebraska, my team has gotten flagged for maintaining a block away from the play. A MAINTAIN. Didn't even knock the kid down, it was just my tackle pushing a kid 20 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Ironically it was against the same team both years. Is this kind of like the call made today?

That's complete garbage that this happens to your squad. As long as you're not pushing a defender down and literally sitting on him or something like that, I see no reason why legal and legit blocks away from the play can't be maintained.

It's one thing entirely if you take a cheap shot at a defender that's standing really far away from the play and has given up on it, but in Burtch's case, I saw absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I can't really fault Burch for the block, but.....you have to know how the game is called now. It's highly doubtful the defender is going to catch the ball carrier and at very best it is going to be very close on whether you are going to be able to get your head in front. Its gotten to the point where you have to err on the side of caution on that play and not make the block (and then you end up like Cooper not getting the guy out of bounds). If the ruling bodies what to continue the sport of football, then they need to let them play football. It's a fast, hard-hitting, physical game, unfortunately injuries are going to occur. You can't legislate them out of the game with penalties.