Auburn's O becomes our O?

Part of the reason that offense is so successful, too, is because of the person who created it - Gus Malzahn. Sure, we could take elements, but a big part of any offense is knowing what plays to call and when. That's a huge reason TO's offense was so good - he had a great feel for what plays to call and when.

I don't have much problem with the offense we run, at least the concepts involved in it, other than I think we try to do too much at times. IMHO the area Beck could improve the most is his feel for the game.

• Fire 1

Part of the reason that offense is so successful, too, is because of the person who created it - Gus Malzahn. Sure, we could take elements, but a big part of any offense is knowing what plays to call and when. That's a huge reason TO's offense was so good - he had a great feel for what plays to call and when.

I don't have much problem with the offense we run, at least the concepts involved in it, other than I think we try to do too much at times. IMHO the area Beck could improve the most is his feel for the game.

Well said.

I was in a conversation with a friend and I voiced my disgust with not coming up with our own concepts and sticking too it. We didn't start using the "clap" signal for "hut" until OHIO St showed it. We wrinkled in Auburn's offense during the bowl game when Auburn was considered unstoppable. I just want to see an offense that isn't crazy multiple! Ugh. makes me upset just thinking about it.

Nick Marshall as a runner eats Tommy Armstrong for breakfast and compares to a healthy T-Magic.

I think TA showed a lot of improvement as a runner. If nothing else, he looked healthier and faster in the bowl game. If he looked noticeably faster on the Gator Bowl swamp turf then imagine him fully healthy next year on nice, predictable, not swamp, field turf at Memorial Stadium.

Notice how many of todays OCs are now on the field. I think they can get a much better feel of the game, players, and plays that are working when they are in direct contact with the players. Theres something to be said for being able to look into a players, esp the qbs, eyes when talking about plays to run and getting the feel with how comfortable and confident he is in running them.

I noticed Marshall throws from his back foot a lot like Taylor used to. What I see is that Auburn's O-Line is much better in blocking schemes than we are. I would be for more of this Auburn style in our offense if I could trust our O-Line to execute the blocks. Ameer could be good in it....but we lose Taylor and we don't have the quickness that Marshall has with our other QB's. We could definitely incorporate this a bit more. I like option where we don't have to execute a perfect pitch (that ends up on the turf) and I also think throwing out of the option can be a killer.

Nick Marshall as a runner eats Tommy Armstrong for breakfast and compares to a healthy T-Magic.

I think TA showed a lot of improvement as a runner. If nothing else, he looked healthier and faster in the bowl game. If he looked noticeably faster on the Gator Bowl swamp turf then imagine him fully healthy next year on nice, predictable, not swamp, field turf at Memorial Stadium.

I agree. He looked healthy and therefore much quicker in the bowl game. A lot of the year he looked fairly slow and i didnt think he had much of a future in our offense if thats how he was gonna be. His ankle and knee must have been really bothering much more than was being put forth. I was happily surprised with how he looked in the bowl game.

Btw, Jameis is not very fast or quick. I thought he had a lot more shake n bake than he showed tonight. Not very elusive at all, in or out of the pocket.

Notice how many of todays OCs are now on the field. I think they can get a much better feel of the game, players, and plays that are working when they are in direct contact with the players. Theres something to be said for being able to look into a players, esp the qbs, eyes when talking about plays to run and getting the feel with how comfortable and confident he is in running them.

Are many OCs on the field? Or just the two last night because they're also the HC? I haven't noticed many on the field.

I would prefer the booth myself. It would be great to be able to talk to the players but you get a much better picture of what the defense is doing from upstairs.

I texted this to my brother last night, and I believe it:

"After watching this game, I don't think we'll ever compete seriously w the offense we run.

We have to do power offense. We'll never ever have 11 that match up to a team like these 11 on offense.

We need a unique offense that our guys can perfect."

We may have 6,7,8 all conference type players on O but FSU had what, 3 all ACC lineman and the heisman winner and STILL barely won.

We just don't need a flavor of the month, we need perfection of execution, whatever the offense.

If I had to pick an offense for us to mimic, it wouldn't be Auburn's. I'd choose the power attack of Stanford. It eats more clock and allows the defense to rest. Auburn's offense did next to nothing in the third quarter allowing their defense to become gassed which allowed Florida State to score at will. There's a reason Stanford has beat Oregon the past couple of years. The dink and dunk is fun when the ball is being moved. It isn't so much fun when it gets stuffed and the defense is on the field the majority of the game.

If I had to pick an offense for us to mimic, it wouldn't be Auburn's. I'd choose the power attack of Stanford. It eats more clock and allows the defense to rest. Auburn's offense did next to nothing in the third quarter allowing their defense to become gassed which allowed Florida State to score at will. There's a reason Stanford has beat Oregon the past couple of years. The dink and dunk is fun when the ball is being moved. It isn't so much fun when it gets stuffed and the defense is on the field the majority of the game.

Also, often times, you see the team with a better defense winning championships, unless there's a freak of a player on one team (see Vince Young in 2005) or both teams have average defenses.

But back to your point about Stanford, I love their style of play and it's refreshing in an era of college football where it's mostly about spreading teams out, throwing the ball a lot and very little traditional power offense still exists. And I think that play style is perfect for a school that can't get great talent across the board. Stanford is really good but one would think their recruiting is significantly impacted by their academic standards. I'm sure there are a lot of players at tons of schools, including Nebraska, that wouldn't academically qualify for Stanford.

Stanford is predicated on controlling the football, not turning the ball over and playing defense. And they do it well and just physically manhandle most of their opponents. If I had my choice, it'd be to run what they run.

Agree - Stanford is closer to the old NU style of play and may help us in the big 10

I understand that many Husker fans love the Stanford style of football, because it reminds us of the good old days of power football under Osborne. Stanford gets a lot of credit in beating Oregon twice in the past 2 seasons, but this is a team that lost to a terrible Utah team and also lost to USC. We could argue that Nebraska moved the ball better against Michigan State than Stanford did in the Rose Bowl.

I agree that it would be nice for NU to have an "identity" on offense, but Stanford almost seems "too conservative" at times. It works great against matchups against Oregon, but they typically have 1 or 2 losses each year where I think "how the heck did they lose to that team?"