Avery Moss situation: one year ban

C N Red

hard to argue with junior. just seems like he could have been punished and given help internally. but this was a second transgression, if i am not mistaken, so maybe you only deserve a second chance. but i am a sympathetic person and think this is an unfortunate situation for him and the team.

I'd dip if I were him. Sitting around for a full year, burning a year of eligibility waiting to return isn't worth it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he would have to sit out if he went to another school (D1), and since he wouldn't be on the roster, he wouldn't be burning a year of eligibility if he were to come back next year...

I still don't think the punishment fits the crime.

After the initial incident, he was banned from the residence halls. 11.5 months after this ban, and only 0.5 months before the end of the ban, there is a miscommunication and he violates this minor ban. He then receives an ALL-CAMPUS ban? Violating the residence hall ban 15 days early after a miscommunication entails a full-campus ban? This basically kicks the kid out of school, kicks him off the team, invalidates his athletic scholarship, and burns a year of eligibility. All this time, he has been going to counseling, presumably getting good grades, and not getting in any other trouble.

Again, I don't think the punishment fits the crime.

After the initial incident, he was banned from the residence halls. 11.5 months after this ban, and only 0.5 months before the end of the ban, there is a miscommunication and he violates this minor ban. He then receives an ALL-CAMPUS ban? Violating the residence hall ban 15 days early after a miscommunication entails a full-campus ban? This basically kicks the kid out of school, kicks him off the team, invalidates his athletic scholarship, and burns a year of eligibility. All this time, he has been going to counseling, presumably getting good grades, and not getting in any other trouble.

If you violated your probation 15 days before it ended, would you still expect to come in contact with the consequences of violating your probation?

• Fire 1

If you violated your probation 15 days before it ended, would you still expect to come in contact with the consequences of violating your probation?

But you know when your probation ends because they state so many months, and give you a release date. You also keep in touch with PO's during the time your on it as well. Moss was under the assumption that he was only banned until the end of the academic year. I don't think any of us know what was said, but things could have not been clearly stated. Since he has kept his nose clean and I don't see him doing this to create a f'up, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

It is a liability issue if the University were to bring Avery back. Multiple on-campus incidents with female students. If something were to happen again, potentially worse, the University could be liable as well for damages.

Of all people to have a comment on this thread...

;)

• Fire 2

Are we equating UNL rent-a-cop rubberstamped orders with Judge mandated court orders?

Semantics, but UNL Police is not rent-a-cop. They are an actual police force, not campus security.

In regards to the topic, I am also questioning if this wasn't a "make an example out of him" kind of thing for an athlete. Hope he learns an important lesson. When you are in the spotlight, everything you do is seen plainly.

Good luck, hope things work out for you Avery. Also hope you can navigate this to stay a Husker, but understand if you can't.

Are we equating UNL rent-a-cop rubberstamped orders with Judge mandated court orders?

Semantics, but UNL Police is not rent-a-cop. They are an actual police force, not campus security.

In regards to the topic, I am also questioning if this wasn't a "make an example out of him" kind of thing for an athlete. Hope he learns an important lesson. When you are in the spotlight, everything you do is seen plainly.

Good luck, hope things work out for you Avery. Also hope you can navigate this to stay a Husker, but understand if you can't.

I like that statement.

Sincerely,

paul_blart_mall_cop02.jpg

It is a liability issue if the University were to bring Avery back. Multiple on-campus incidents with female students. If something were to happen again, potentially worse, the University could be liable as well for damages.

Of all people to have a comment on this thread...

;)

Haha, I am picking up what your laying down there Pal!

I still don't think the punishment fits the crime. After the initial incident, he was banned from the residence halls. 11.5 months after this ban, and only 0.5 months before the end of the ban, there is a miscommunication and he violates this minor ban. He then receives an ALL-CAMPUS ban? Violating the residence hall ban 15 days early after a miscommunication entails a full-campus ban? This basically kicks the kid out of school, kicks him off the team, invalidates his athletic scholarship, and burns a year of eligibility. All this time, he has been going to counseling, presumably getting good grades, and not getting in any other trouble. Again, I don't think the punishment fits the crime.
But you know when your probation ends because they state so many months, and give you a release date. You also keep in touch with PO's during the time your on it as well. Moss was under the assumption that he was only banned until the end of the academic year. I don't think any of us know what was said, but things could have not been clearly stated. Since he has kept his nose clean and I don't see him doing this to create a f'up, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Wouldn't this be his lawyers job of relaying to him this kind of information? 'Oh and Avery you're also banned from entering any residence halls on campus until such and such date and if you get caught violating that ban you could then be banned for four years instead of one'. Anything's possible but I'm not buying this whole 'miscommunication' thing. Something like a ban of entering residence halls is a pretty big deal and in this case makes total sense and any good lawyer would most certainly make it crystal clear to their client if they were told they weren't allowed in a certain place at all until a certain date had passed. I have a hard time believing the University didn't spell that out clearly to Moss or his lawyer.

I don't feel sorry for him. When you do something stupid, bad things will happen. From the University's side of things, I can understand the action they took. No University wants to be seen as tolerant of any sort of sexual misconduct. They just can't take that risk.

Nebtraska isn't Michigan, that's for sure.

I'd dip if I were him. Sitting around for a full year, burning a year of eligibility waiting to return isn't worth it.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he would have to sit out if he went to another school (D1), and since he wouldn't be on the roster, he wouldn't be burning a year of eligibility if he were to come back next year...

Let me specify. He can find another program/university to join/enroll, and keep practicing and developing instead of taking an entire year off. Losing out on the practicing, S&C, and film study will set him further back. Just my opinion for his particular situation