Avery Moss situation: one year ban

C N Red

Certainly not a good look for the university once his side of the story was made public. Would be hard to fault him for being not the happiest person as of late regarding staying at Nebraska. He got f'd.

Let me get this right. It's not gonna look good for the Uni? He plead no contest, pretty sure you don't do that if you're innocent.

So in what world do you get to randomly show people your junk (in a non-consensual way) and get away with no consequences when someone says that's not cool. He then got off with a slap on the wrist (don't come to this til we sort this out) and says oops sorry I thought it was just for a year.

He got off easy. He could well be a registered sex offender.

• Fire 3

Certainly not a good look for the university once his side of the story was made public. Would be hard to fault him for being not the happiest person as of late regarding staying at Nebraska. He got f'd.

Here is a very very important lesson for everyone to learn. If you do a really stupid thing, it opens yourself up to be f'd by others or the system. I'm not saying it is right or fair. But, he is the one that screwed up that caused this whole mess. Again, I hope he learned from a stupid mistake made as a kid and moves on with his life.

Let me get this right. It's not gonna look good for the Uni? He plead no contest, pretty sure you don't do that if you're innocent.

So in what world do you get to randomly show people your junk (in a non-consensual way) and get away with no consequences when someone says that's not cool. He then got off with a slap on the wrist (don't come to this til we sort this out) and says oops sorry I thought it was just for a year.

Two separate proceedings. I don't think anyone is complaining about how the legal system handled this situation. How the University is handling it is totally separate and - after the initial occurrence - unrelated.

I don't expect any special treatment for football players (or any athlete) but this seems a bit much. Here's how I read what's happened according to the article:

- Exposure incident leads to residence hall ban

- Some "misunderstanding" on timing led to Moss being in a residence hall while still under ban

- Could be banned from campus for four years - pending appeal after one - for violating residence hall ban

Obviously we only have one side of the "misunderstanding" story so it's hard to know what really happened but if he didn't cause any additional trouble, a possible four-year ban seems excessive. Also, I didn't catch it the first time but apparently is was one of the campus police officers who "made the call" on the campus ban but it was rubber-stamped by the Chief. Really? It doesn't even have to be someone in administration to call for the ban - any officer can do it? That really seems like it's asking for controversy to me.

Yeah, seems really extreme. Especially when you look at the likely outcome of this for Avery. Is he really a threat to other students now? I can't possibly imagine so. So then it comes down to what's best for him - as I think Nebraska has somewhat of an obligation to these recruits. I can't imagine anyone thinks this is in his best interest. Punishment is one thing, but essentially stalling his life for a year is a bit much. He's not from Lincoln, odds are he won't hang around for a year. From a football standpoint he doesn't benefit much as he'd have to sit out a year regardless. But he's essentially banned from his teammates and anything football related, which is at the end of the day why he is here. Kind of crappy IMO.

tumblr_m9o15tqeaU1rsrjeno1_500.jpg

Uh...

Wow.

So, being banned for at least 1 year (possibly, and most likely, 4 years) for accidentally going into a residence hall that you THOUGHT you could go to because they said at the "end of the year you are allowed back" and explaining that to the registration and why it was faulty wording and communication. You think that is fair?

Completely unrelated to the case as PRIOR to that, they were completely fine with having him on the team/campus/etc. But accidentally going to a RH because of miscommunication = 4 year ban? That's bullsh#t buddy.

Let me get this right. It's not gonna look good for the Uni? He plead no contest, pretty sure you don't do that if you're innocent. So in what world do you get to randomly show people your junk (in a non-consensual way) and get away with no consequences when someone says that's not cool. He then got off with a slap on the wrist (don't come to this til we sort this out) and says oops sorry I thought it was just for a year. He got off easy. He could well be a registered sex offender.
Uh... Wow. So, being banned for at least 1 year (possibly, and most likely, 4 years) for accidentally going into a residence hall that you THOUGHT you could go to because they said at the "end of the year you are allowed back" and explaining that to the registration and why it was faulty wording and communication. You think that is fair? Completely unrelated to the case as PRIOR to that, they were completely fine with having him on the team/campus/etc. But accidentally going to a RH because of miscommunication = 4 year ban? That's bullsh#t buddy.

I agree this is BS, but you just can't put yourself in these situatuons in the first place. He looks to have a promisng career but he is good as gone now. Best of luck to him

• Fire 1

So I assume he can take online courses since he is only banned from campus. I never took online courses so I'm not sure the specifics of them. This would really be his only option to continue to be at Nebraska unless he just did nothing for a year. But he would have to go a full year of training outside the athletic facilities. I think it would be in his best interest to go elsewhere. Which is unfortunate, as it seems he did everything he was suppose to and is being punised on a misunderstanding.

If by chance he does stick around, will he still be a So or Jr for the 2015 season?

I believe your "clock" starts ticking from when you first enroll. He enrolled for the 2012 season so his five years to play four would be 2012-2016, making him officially a Junior in 2015 (using 2014 as a "redshirt"). However, I see on his Huskers.com profile that they have listed 2012 as "Medical Hardship". Perhaps I missed it but I don't remember news of him applying for that already but if he was granted a hardship he would be eligible until 2017.

I don't care about the miss-communication thing, he showed his wiener to someone twice (hey, check this out!), if he did that at my workplace or wherever he would be canned and reported.

No argument that in most workplace environments you would be canned. However, he was allowed to remain in school and was just banned from the halls. Therefore, this would have needed to happen on the initial incident in my opinion.

I don't care about the miss-communication thing, he showed his wiener to someone twice (hey, check this out!), if he did that at my workplace or wherever he would be canned and reported.

And fortunately for you they pay you to be at your workplace. And this ban is less about showing his wiener, and more about being in a place he wasn't "supposed" to be.

I'd imagine if these standards were used for each of our players the team would be much smaller. A possible 4 year ban from campus for going into a building he didn't know he could no longer be in because of piss-poor communication is way overboard. There's what, 25,000 students on campus? On any given day I'd say quite a few of them do something far worse and still get to go to class the following week.

(which is what makes me think there's far more to this story than what we're hearing)

No argument that in most workplace environments you would be canned. However, he was allowed to remain in school and was just banned from the halls. Therefore, this would have needed to happen on the initial incident in my opinion.

Well the more severe punishment from the university was handed down once they knew what the outcome of his plea was going to be. Can't really punish someone without knowing what's going to happen.

They kept him away from the residence halls so that there would be no chance of him repeating the alleged offense on campus.