QB Joe Burrow [Ohio State - Signed LOI]

Let's not forget that a transfer is not out of the cards if things don't work out down the road at OSU. If Burrow's interest post-Bo is legit, we'll have to see how things shake out down the road. His eligibility would take a hit, but if he really loves NU you never know. Unlikely but hey... It's the offseason.

Actually a transfer to NU has a very low possibility of happening. First, I think in-conference transfers cost 2 years of eligibility instead of just 1. Second, he would have to get his scholly release from Urban 1st, which it seems it is not unusual for a Coach to put restrictions on where the kid can go if released from the scholly.

Urb.

If Urb has that much influence and can make him forget about Beck's rumored slight, did we ever have a real chance?
Clester Johnson Sr talked about Nebraska's recruitment of CJ Johnson Jr with DB today. He explained how Barney and Bo were hyped for CJ, but during the Husker summer camp, Barney brought Clester Sr over to talk with Beck. Beck, in turn, yelled in Barney's face about how he was too busy for that, all with Clester Sr standing right there. That ended CJ's interest with Nebraska right there.

That story mirrors the notion of Beck "big-timing" recruits he doesn't have an interest in.

Now, with Burrow, he committed to Urban and Ohio St long before Beck entered the story. That means Burrow evaluated the opportunity Ohio St offered and liked it. When Beck was hired, Urban's job became reassuring Burrow nothing has changed from Ohio St's end, in terms of interest and opportunity.

Beck was a footnote in Burrow's commitment to Ohio St but would have played a big role in his recruitment at Nebraska.

• Fire 3

Yeah, Beck going with Urban to "smooth things over" was not a tall task.

I do think that Nebraska being Nebraska, Riley being Riley, and having Langsdorf on board, the Huskers could have made a strong push. It just seemed too late in the game in this case, but they tried.

The most surprising thing in all this is hearing all these accounts about Beck actually doing damage to the recruiting process on their visits. Of all the coaches on Bo's staff, he's probably one of the last ones I would have expected. Then again, he did say "who has a good relationship with the fans?"

This CJ Johnson story makes it sound like Beck also had some issues with Barney. Which is not as surprising :lol:

Singleton transferred from wiscy and only sat out one year correct. I think the two year thing was a big12 rule not for sure though.

don't think he ever got to Wisconsin
Singleton didn't qualify for Wiscy out of HS though he was committed. Fits the narrative that Wiscy's admissions standards are too high and that's why Anderson left. Anyway, he remained a Wiscy guy but later that year I think he decided to come to NU.

The transfer rule states that if you've enrolled, received any financial aid, taken any classes, etc. at one B1G school, you may not transfer and play at another one until after you've sat out a full year. You'd also lose one year of eligibility.

If, for some reason, Burrow did not redshirt next year at OSU and hated it, he could transfer over and RS his year out, effectively only losing one year. The chances of that happening are almost non-existent. So if he did wind up at NU, he'd almost surely lose two years of eligibility. But if he came over after a RS year at OSU, he could still sit out his second year and have two years at the helm as a JR. It all depends on how it goes at OSU, how he really feels about NU, and lastly, how Riley feels about Joe as a QB.

Transferring here would be a PITA, but he's worth it as a player, IMO. I'd never turn him down regardless of circumstances. Weirder things have happened. Greg Paulus was a great QB for a year for Cuse.

Yeah, Beck going with Urban to "smooth things over" was not a tall task.I do think that Nebraska being Nebraska, Riley being Riley, and having Langsdorf on board, the Huskers could have made a strong push. It just seemed too late in the game in this case, but they tried.The most surprising thing in all this is hearing all these accounts about Beck actually doing damage to the recruiting process on their visits. Of all the coaches on Bo's staff, he's probably one of the last ones I would have expected. Then again, he did say "who has a good relationship with the fans?"This CJ Johnson story makes it sound like Beck also had some issues with Barney. Which is not as surprising :lol:

Who DIDN'T have issues with Barney??

Besides Bo and his sons. No gimmes Zoogs.

Singleton transferred from wiscy and only sat out one year correct. I think the two year thing was a big12 rule not for sure though.

Singleton didn't qualify for Wiscy out of HS though he was committed. Fits the narrative that Wiscy's admissions standards are too high and that's why Anderson left. Anyway, he remained a Wiscy guy but later that year I think he decided to come to NU.

The transfer rule states that if you've enrolled, received any financial aid, taken any classes, etc. at one B1G school, you may not transfer and play at another one until after you've sat out a full year. You'd also lose one year of eligibility.

If, for some reason, Burrow did not redshirt next year at OSU and hated it, he could transfer over and RS his year out, effectively only losing one year. The chances of that happening are almost non-existent. So if he did wind up at NU, he'd almost surely lose two years of eligibility. But if he came over after a RS year at OSU, he could still sit out his second year and have two years at the helm as a JR. It all depends on how it goes at OSU, how he really feels about NU, and lastly, how Riley feels about Joe as a QB.

Transferring here would be a PITA, but he's worth it as a player, IMO. I'd never turn him down regardless of circumstances. Weirder things have happened. Greg Paulus was a great QB for a year for Cuse.

That is if Urban would let him transfer to another B1G school in his scholy release conditions.

Haha!

In the end, even though I wanted Barney out of here as coach since day 1, he is probably the one guy from that original staff that didn't get caught up in the us-against-the-world nonsense. Seeing how he led the team in the bowl, and how he tried to treat recruits and their families such as CJ Johnson, kind of redeems him in my eyes. A little.

That is if Urban would let him transfer to another B1G school in his scholy release conditions.

That's another reason it's unlikely. I could easily see Urb being the type of guy to shoot it down. I guess I couldn't fault him-- especially since it looks like we will hopefully be joining them, Wiscy, and Michigan as the best teams in the conference. It'd just make my dislike for him grow even more intense...

But hey, we can dream.

Haha!

In the end, even though I wanted Barney out of here as coach since day 1, he is probably the one guy from that original staff that didn't get caught up in the us-against-the-world nonsense. Seeing how he led the team in the bowl, and how he tried to treat recruits and their families such as CJ Johnson, kind of redeems him in my eyes. A little.

The sentiment that Barney is a coordinator/big picture guy than anything else at this point is probably true. He was mismanaged here because Bo knew he wanted Barney on staff but couldn't hire him in a capacity that allowed him to best help the team and put his skillset to use. He was hired as such at UNLV. Wishing him luck there.

I'm as big of a BC critic as you'll find on here, and I think he's a poor OL coach at this point (at least in Beck's system). But I too was extremely impressed with how prepared he had the boys for the bowl game. That was impressive.

Urb.

If Urb has that much influence and can make him forget about Beck's rumored slight, did we ever have a real chance?
Clester Johnson Sr talked about Nebraska's recruitment of CJ Johnson Jr with DB today. He explained how Barney and Bo were hyped for CJ, but during the Husker summer camp, Barney brought Clester Sr over to talk with Beck. Beck, in turn, yelled in Barney's face about how he was too busy for that, all with Clester Sr standing right there. That ended CJ's interest with Nebraska right there.

That story mirrors the notion of Beck "big-timing" recruits he doesn't have an interest in.

Now, with Burrow, he committed to Urban and Ohio St long before Beck entered the story. That means Burrow evaluated the opportunity Ohio St offered and liked it. When Beck was hired, Urban's job became reassuring Burrow nothing has changed from Ohio St's end, in terms of interest and opportunity.

Beck was a footnote in Burrow's commitment to Ohio St but would have played a big role in his recruitment at Nebraska.

Beck sounds like a delicate genius. Glad he is gone and taking his route options (40 yds down field) with him. Unfortunately Urb will put the kibosh to some of the things he was trying here.

I wonder if friction with Barney was the reason TEs seemed to be MIA recently or if it was just Beck's offensive philosophy.

I imagine the Urb effect was the major factor for Burrow but with Beck as the QB coach I would be interested to know how he weighed the different factors. Since he's going to be playing for Beck I doubt we'll hear anything more about it.

• Fire 1

Yeah, Beck going with Urban to "smooth things over" was not a tall task.I do think that Nebraska being Nebraska, Riley being Riley, and having Langsdorf on board, the Huskers could have made a strong push. It just seemed too late in the game in this case, but they tried.The most surprising thing in all this is hearing all these accounts about Beck actually doing damage to the recruiting process on their visits. Of all the coaches on Bo's staff, he's probably one of the last ones I would have expected. Then again, he did say "who has a good relationship with the fans?"This CJ Johnson story makes it sound like Beck also had some issues with Barney. Which is not as surprising :lol:

People may think I'm crazy to own this....., but I repeatedly said on this board that I was a fan of Barney, only I preferred him in an offensive coordinator/run game coordinator role. (I know...people think I'm crazy or stupid for saying that) I did have some issues with Barney, but I think that mostly arose because Barneys philosophy and Becks philosophy were total mismatches IMO.

This may not be the best example, but there are some good examples of the formations and the types of plays we used to run. Barney was a pretty good play caller back in 2003 IMO. I'd take him over Beck 10 times out of 10.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AkInQgKqfRY

• Fire 2