Armstrong Leading the QB Race

^and had they not, their lack of ability to move the ball would've cost us the game, so there we are.

This.

Iirc, RKIII was the guy who led the game winning drive against PSU. We don't have him to fall back this year.

People also conveniently forget that if the defense didn't shore up its act in those games, the offensive output never would have been enough to win.

So what you're saying is that because we scored more points than we allowed, we won.

Congratulations! You have successfully written in a sentence how the game of football decides who wins the game!

Here's a cookie:

173572251_Chocolate%20chip%20cookie.JPG

Iirc, RKIII was the guy who led the game winning drive against PSU. We don't have him to fall back this year.

Good thing we still have the guy that led the game winning drive against Michigan.

And a good thing we got rid of the guy that allowed Iowa to make him look so bad.

Or the one that for whatever reason we felt obligated to sub in at random points for a prompt 3 and out, thus scrapping any and all rythm Armstrong had.

Goes both ways.

• Fire 1

Good thing we still have the guy that led the game winning drive against Michigan.

And a good thing we got rid of the guy that allowed Iowa to make him look so bad.

Or the one that for whatever reason we felt obligated to sub in at random points for a prompt 3 and out, thus scrapping any and all rythm Armstrong had.

Goes both ways.

Yeah really, sometimes those substitutions were just head scratchers.

^and had they not, their lack of ability to move the ball would've cost us the game, so there we are.

This.

People also conveniently forget that if the defense didn't shore up its act in those games, the offensive output never would have been enough to win.

So what you're saying is that because we scored more points than we allowed, we won.

Congratulations! You have successfully written in a sentence how the game of football decides who wins the game!

Here's a cookie:

173572251_Chocolate%20chip%20cookie.JPG

my point was (and I thought this was fairly obvious) was that had the offense not spent the previous 57 minutes not getting it done, those last minute drives would not have been necessary.

Goes both ways.

Yeah really, sometimes those substitutions were just head scratchers.

We agree. This is a great first step towards mending our relationship, or lack there of.

But I can point out such instances against Purdue, NW, Michigan, and I think Michigan St as well. But I'm not 100% sure on the Michigan St one.

RKIII played a lot better than Tommy when looking at the entire season.

Anyways, I saw some tweets talking about rumors of a two-qb system like last year being a possibility, and also one personal ESPN radio guys' opinion that the order should go Tommy/Johnny/Ryker.

I get the idea that we might see something like 2012 where if Tommy goes down, Ryker might be the 'better' quarterback, but Johnny would get the nod to be the guy in games because he fits the offense better, the same way Tommy likely might have been the better pick if Taylor got dinged up in '12, but Kellogg was 2nd string as long as it was just mop-up duty.

This.

Congratulations! You have successfully written in a sentence how the game of football decides who wins the game

Now that you've forced me to go all captain obvious, ummm, if the defense was as horrible in those games as it was up until the 2nd half of the NW game, we would have lost those games. It was the defenses improvement that won most of those games,not the mediocre to stagnant offense.

LINK: Ryker Fyfe has taken over the No. 2 quarterback spot behind expected starter Tommy Armstrong

So by no means is this position battle over. As is typical, Pelini said he doesn't intend to name a starter before the season opener.

Freshman T-Mart had announced starter within several hours before season opener kickoff time. Outrageous prediction ..... Stanton will be #1 man

http://hailvarsity.com/2014/08/qb-competition-continues/

For another day, Armstrong looked best among the QBs in the wide receiver/defensive back only drills. Armstrong throws hard balls into tight spots and is looking more comfortable and natural with pump fakes. Making his way through early progressions looks more natural for the sophomore. Fyfe is probably a close second in all-around throwing skill, making confident throws and working reads as well.

LINK: Ryker Fyfe has taken over the No. 2 quarterback spot behind expected starter Tommy Armstrong

So by no means is this position battle over. As is typical, Pelini said he doesn't intend to name a starter before the season opener.

Freshman T-Mart had announced starter within several hours before season opener kickoff time. Outrageous prediction ..... Stanton will be #1 starter

Actually, nobody knew outside the program until T-Mart's face flashed up on the big screen right before the game.

• Fire 1

The part about this entire QB conversation that is driving me crazy are the people (listening to the radio right now) that are acting alarmed that a 4* QB out of California hasn't made it past #3 on the depth chart and a walk on from Nebraska is #2.

Really??? That attitude pisses me off. It isn't like we have absolutely no talent in the state of Nebraska that can go to Lincoln and succeed. There is a very good chance that Fyfe could have been a very highly recruited player if he were in Texas, Florida or California. The fact he was in Western Nebraska seems to make people automatically think he shouldn't be able to hold the jock of a big name recruit from the coast.

This second string battle is very interesting and this may have nothing to do with Stanton struggling and may have everything to do with Fyfe just being that good.

Why can't some Husker fans acknowledge that?

• Fire 8

Fyfe looked good in the Spring Game, and frankly I couldn't care less if he beats out a four-star athlete from California or even if he beats Tommy and takes the #1 spot. If he's our best quarterback, #1 recruit in the nation or unheralded walk-on, put him under center & let's go.

It's possible to miss a guy in recruiting. It's possible all the lights just came on for Fyfe and he's the second coming of Vince Ferragamo today. If we win games with him starting, who cares?

EDIT - Scottie Pippen wasn't offered a single scholarship out of high school, joined some po-dunk college as a walk-on, and turned into one of the 50 greatest NBA players of all time.

The light turns on at different times for different people. Let the starter be the starter regardless of stars.

• Fire 4

The part about this entire QB conversation that is driving me crazy are the people (listening to the radio right now) that are acting alarmed that a 4* QB out of California hasn't made it past #3 on the depth chart and a walk on from Nebraska is #2.

Really??? That attitude pisses me off. It isn't like we have absolutely no talent in the state of Nebraska that can go to Lincoln and succeed. There is a very good chance that Fyfe could have been a very highly recruited player if he were in Texas, Florida or California. The fact he was in Western Nebraska seems to make people automatically think he shouldn't be able to hold the jock of a big name recruit from the coast.

This second string battle is very interesting and this may have nothing to do with Stanton struggling and may have everything to do with Fyfe just being that good.

Why can't some Husker fans acknowledge that?

Bu, bu, because that would be a positive spin and we can't have that!

I agree with you and knapp below your post. Put the best QB in there and lets go!

Fyfe looked good in the Spring Game, and frankly I couldn't care less if he beats out a four-star athlete from California or even if he beats Tommy and takes the #1 spot. If he's our best quarterback, #1 recruit in the nation or unheralded walk-on, put him under center & let's go.

It's possible to miss a guy in recruiting. It's possible all the lights just came on for Fyfe and he's the second coming of Vince Ferragamo today. If we win games with him starting, who cares?

EDIT - Scottie Pippen wasn't offered a single scholarship out of high school, joined some po-dunk college as a walk-on, and turned into one of the 50 greatest NBA players of all time.

The light turns on at different times for different people. Let the starter be the starter regardless of stars.

I agree. However, there seems to be some fans who think it's alarming that a walk on is that close to starting. I just don't get it.

Fyfe looked good in the Spring Game, and frankly I couldn't care less if he beats out a four-star athlete from California or even if he beats Tommy and takes the #1 spot. If he's our best quarterback, #1 recruit in the nation or unheralded walk-on, put him under behind center & let's go.

c'mon knapp we're almost always in shotgun these days.