Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

I guess I see both sides of the issue having problems.

On one hand, football (and basketball) players get it pretty cushy while in school. Methinks they don't have the greatest spending habits either.

On the other hand, you have Athletic Directors getting $20K bonuses because some kid in their program won a wrestling tournament. That's shady as hell.

This whole thing brings back bitter thoughts from when I was in school.

I was in school in the late 80s. My father went broke in his business my senior year in HS so basically, I was on my own for school. I worked basically full time while going to school full time. I lived in some pretty crappy apartments in Lincoln and drove a vehicle that my college friends still tease me about till this day.

Then, I had friends who were athletes. Simply because they were athletes they received a LOT of perks that I had no dream of ever getting and, many were total ass holes about it.

Sorry to bring up things from 25 years ago but this whole thing quite frankly leaves me less interested in the program and college sports as a whole.

Kenny Bell runs out of meals at the training table?!?

I wonder if he was actually referring to himself, or just trying to express that he knows what it's like from seeing it happen? Or maybe he has a small meal plan and is being a turd :lol:

At any rate, I really don't think the words he said were unreasonable. Athletes do deserve better representation, and that's all he was really getting at.

I wonder if he was actually referring to himself, or just trying to express that he knows what it's like from seeing it happen? Or maybe he has a small meal plan and is being a turd :lol:

None of our scholarship players should be running out of meals at the training table. That is either a fabrication or an athletic department blunder.

I scrimped in college, got by on student loans and little to eat (but plenty to drink). I worked 30 hours a week at a minimum wage job and took full class loads. Those were my choices. Lots of mac and cheese, ramen, etc. Jeans with holes before it was fashionable, free tshirts from credit card sign ups (back when you could sign up with a fake name), and a car that barely made it to the store and back by the time I was a senior. After college, I went to grad school, and paid my student loans as quickly as I could. Extra money went to loans. I finished paying off my student loans about 11 years after I graduated. I can sit here and say this now, I would love to have played football in order to get that free education. I think, man, I would have at least $25,000 or so more in my bank account.... That would be damn nice.

I understand that there is an uncomfortable standard that exists with coaches and ADs making tons of money off of these guys, but they are welcome to not play and just be regular college students like I was. They know the rules when they sign up. I know what I would choose.

• Fire 1

So I don't know who is right and who is wrong in this unionizing and voices and whatever.

But I will say this. These athletic administrators, university presidents, and coaches are highly unintelligent if they thought they could sign BILLION DOLLAR television deals, $90 million dollar apparel deals(Notre Dame), multi-million dollar bowl game deals, pay coaches $6 million a year and everyone makes bonuses based on the players performances through the year and some of these kids not notice what is going on. Especially when you have teams like Alabama that cuts football players to make room for new ones every year or whatever. Who is looking out for them?

Maybe they deserve more maybe they don't. But the arrogance of these universities to think they could do what they have been doing for this long and athletes not say something is disturbing.

• Fire 6

I can't stand this. If the NCAA was smart. They would just disqualify scholarships all together and tell these kids to get their education the way everyone else does. Being on the football team and going to class should take up enough time that you don't need a whole lot of extra cash. If housing costs are the issue and take up too much money then that should be addressed but not in the form of a stipend.

Being 19-23 by age is an "adult" but many of them don't act like it. Although many do too. Funny though that almost everyone refers to college students as "kids" but when we talk about them needing a voice they all of a sudden become "adult"? So which is it?

What do they exactly need the cash for? That big screen tv? New video games? heating bill? rent? food?

As I recall the table closes (or at least it did back when I was there) on the weekends. I'm making an assumption that this is what he was referring to.

So (another assumption) if he lives off campus, he probably doesn't have a meal plan for the DC, and has to fend for himself at the market/deli/etc.