Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

Is polarhusker Kenny bell? My god dude you seriously keep posting the same sh#t and don't seem to understand anything anyone else says. We DO have the right to question his spending habits. If he wasn't complaining about money and being hungry then ya we have no right. But the dude seems to live a lavish lifestyle then complains about money. Simple as that!

Read post #339 Zoo did a great job explaining this. :thumbs

• Fire 1

The question shouldn't be whether Kenny needs to be paid because he's hungry and spent all his money on tats. The question should be about Kenny getting paid because the NCAA and the university is making a pile of money from his skill as an athlete.

And then taking that pile of money and investing it back into all of the things that make Kenny's experience at Nebraska enjoyable. His stadium, his locker room, his weight room, his tutors, his nutritionists, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I don't disagree with you in any way. I just think that discussing whether or not a student needs to be paid is the wrong way to look at it. Are individuals making a lot of money off the efforts of these college athletes? If so, do the athletes deserve additional compensation beyond tuition and the other existing benefits?

I'm undecided about it but generally lean towards the idea that they should not be paid. Graduating from college without student loans to pay off for the rest of your life is a damn nice benefit. On the job training and practice for the possibility of moving up the NFL and becoming a millionaire is also certainly worth something.

• Fire 1

The question shouldn't be whether Kenny needs to be paid because he's hungry and spent all his money on tats. The question should be about Kenny getting paid because the NCAA and the university is making a pile of money from his skill as an athlete.

And then taking that pile of money and investing it back into all of the things that make Kenny's experience at Nebraska enjoyable. His stadium, his locker room, his weight room, his tutors, his nutritionists, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I don't disagree with you in any way. I just think that discussing whether or not a student needs to be paid is the wrong way to look at it. Are individuals making a lot of money off the efforts of these college athletes? If so, do the athletes deserve additional compensation beyond tuition and the other existing benefits?

I'm undecided about it but generally lean towards the idea that they should not be paid. Graduating from college without student loans to pay off for the rest of your life is a damn nice benefit. On the job training and practice for the possibility of moving up the NFL and becoming a millionaire is also certainly worth something.

I would agree with your second paragraph. however, I also don't believe the players need money because they are starving and can't afford food.

Why is this an NCAA issue? Shouldn't the NCAA be able to mandate its own rules regarding whether college athletes are paid or not?

Really the issue should be taken up with the NFL (or other pro football leagues) as to when athletes are eligible for the NFL draft. At present the NFL requires an athlete to be out of high school for three years before becoming eligible for the draft. Those in favor of athletes being paid should lobby the NFL to allow earlier entry into the draft. IMO.

Eligibility

Football players who have been out of high school for at least three years are eligible for the NFL draft. The rules do not state that a player must attend college, but virtually all of the players selected in the NFL draft played college football. A year as a redshirt player in college counts toward eligibility even though the player was not allowed to participate in games during that year, therefore players who have completed their redshirt sophomore year can enter the NFL draft. A few players are also selected from other football leagues like the Arena Football League or the Canadian Football League. LINK

/ I didn't read all seven pages of this thread. Sorry if this thought was discussed above.

• 3 months later...

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24664628/power-and-water-shut-off-huskers-bell-paid-bills-with-bartender-gig?v=1&vc=1

"At one point I came home and I had no power in my house and my water wasn't running. I hadn't paid my bills."

And he had no immediate prospects as to how to pay those bills. He was out of money. This was last summer in the drudgery of workouts. After some time off, he had returned to the residence he shared with defensive tackle Tobi Okuyemi. The utilities had taken their own bye week. Actually more.

"I went without power for like a week and half," Bell said. "I didn't go home. I stayed up at the stadium until I would go to sleep because I couldn't do anything at my house.

"All the lights were off. It was terrible."

So Bell -- an ethnic studies major carrying a double minor (history, sociology) -- hit the bricks. He snagged a job as a bartender at Lincoln watering hole The Bar.

Maybe use your money on bills and not tattoos Mr. Bell.

• Fire 3

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24664628/power-and-water-shut-off-huskers-bell-paid-bills-with-bartender-gig?v=1&vc=1

"At one point I came home and I had no power in my house and my water wasn't running. I hadn't paid my bills."

And he had no immediate prospects as to how to pay those bills. He was out of money. This was last summer in the drudgery of workouts. After some time off, he had returned to the residence he shared with defensive tackle Tobi Okuyemi. The utilities had taken their own bye week. Actually more.

"I went without power for like a week and half," Bell said. "I didn't go home. I stayed up at the stadium until I would go to sleep because I couldn't do anything at my house.

So Bell -- an ethnic studies major carrying a double minor (history, sociology) -- hit the bricks. He snagged a job as a bartender at Lincoln watering hole The Bar.

Have to agree here. I made it on less than him during school and I didn't get free clothes. I just don't suck at budgeting.

• Fire 4

Good Lord, stop complaining about money in between getting sleeved, trolling fans on twitter,berating those who don't have an HBO Go account, tweeting pictures of the bone in Ribeyes you bought, and bragging about your spring break condo.

• Fire 7

Notable snippet from the article.

Bell probably didn't need that free scholarship. The son of a former NFL player (Kenny Bell Sr.) is also the loving stepson to a successful computer software security salesman (Dan Campbell).

Embarrassing.

Convenient how you ignore things that don't fit your narrative.

• Fire 1

Notable snippet from the article.

Bell probably didn't need that free scholarship. The son of a former NFL player (Kenny Bell Sr.) is also the loving stepson to a successful computer software security salesman (Dan Campbell).

Embarrassing.

Convenient how you ignore things that don't fit your narrative.

I guess I don't really know what you'd like me to say here?

• Fire 1