BIG TEN RIVALS ( A work in progress... )

I think Iowa has the potential to be something. Location and culture is the key.

Sadly with OU we are likely 3rd on their list behind Texas and Okie State. They frankly don't miss us like we miss them. In all honesty the rivalry was one of respect, not hate.

With Wisconsin the problem is they have Minnesota they dearly hate. I have family up there and they just deem us a big game and nothing more. No different than facing Michigan, Penn State or Ohio State. They have more hate currently for Michigan State when it comes to a rivalry.

Iowa is the school the B1G sees as the best fit fighting. Time will tell if our fanbase feels the same.

I think Iowa has the potential to be something. Location and culture is the key.

Sadly with OU we are likely 3rd on their list behind Texas and Okie State. They frankly don't miss us like we miss them. In all honesty the rivalry was one of respect, not hate.

With Wisconsin the problem is they have Minnesota they dearly hate. I have family up there and they just deem us a big game and nothing more. No different than facing Michigan, Penn State or Ohio State. They have more hate currently for Michigan State when it comes to a rivalry.

Iowa is the school the B1G sees as the best fit fighting. Time will tell if our fanbase feels the same.

Well it takes time and we'll see, if you and Wisconsin are playing for the West division title, it could definitely cause hate and rivalry, but I do think Iowa could be a good rival. They are similar to Michigan State In which they'll have a great year followed by a mediocre one, but for us it's always a team we worry about. They have a great and annoying fanbase, which is like OSU, PSU and Wisconsin. I consider Nebraska similar to Michigan's fanbase in terms of politeness, but not anywhere near as arrogant

B1G ccg is where the rivalry will be made. OSU will probably be there 7 or 8 times out of 10. If Bo can get the program back to being close to what it was once, OSU and Neb will become the rivalry, just by playing that game, more than any other teams. I don't care about border wars, or a team that has our colors, or NU as there call letters [unless its ours]. OSU is at the top of the heap most years, and that's where you start a rivalry, by knocking them off that heap;

OKL was a great rival, but Mizzo would have been the same if we had to beat them just about every year, instead of OKL for the Big-8 title. JMO

GBR!!!

B1G ccg is where the rivalry will be made. OSU will probably be there 7 or 8 times out of 10. If Bo can get the program back to being close to what it was once, OSU and Neb will become the rivalry, just by playing that game, more than any other teams. I don't care about border wars, or a team that has our colors, or NU as there call letters [unless its ours]. OSU is at the top of the heap most years, and that's where you start a rivalry, by knocking them off that heap;

OKL was a great rival, but Mizzo would have been the same if we had to beat them just about every year, instead of OKL for the Big-8 title. JMO

GBR!!!

I don't see tOSU consistently just taking their division. With MSU emergence since the expansion to a title game, Michigan, and PSU, the divsion will be up for grabs every year.

The expansion talk has really died off since the playoff and ACC locking up its members. I think it will pick up again once the BIG 12 is left out due to lack of a championship.

Iowa is as good as anybody at this point. Its forced and its not genuine. In time it can develop since they have disliked us for a long time even when we were in seperate leagues. For now it works. Eventually Id like to see it moved to week two so it feels like something is really at stake moving deeper into the season.

NW doesnt have the fanbase but they are a scrappy team for sure, fun series thus far. PSU wouldve been grear but oh well. Wisconsin....it doesnt do it for me like it does for most fans. Sure there are the similarities and ties but so far it hasnt been compelling enough to justify it as being a competetive series. Should NU knock em off in camp randall this year that could all change. The worst part about the game is that I think most casual fans will keep channel surfing while looking for a game because the color schemes are practically identical. Some people think thats kinda neat but for me it makes the game look a little uninspired, maybe thats just me.

Expansion talk is still running but is being whispered instead yelled right now. Delany and Slive want smaller private schools to be booted from the P5 confrences and this would open up teams to be pooched. We are talking teams like BC, Wake Forest and so on. This would hinder the ACC bad enough that the B1G and SEC could pick off who they want. I see things shaking up in the next 3-5 yrs.

The expansion talk has really died off since the playoff and ACC locking up its members. I think it will pick up again once the BIG 12 is left out due to lack of a championship.

Iowa is as good as anybody at this point. Its forced and its not genuine. In time it can develop since they have disliked us for a long time even when we were in seperate leagues. For now it works. Eventually Id like to see it moved to week two so it feels like something is really at stake moving deeper into the season.

NW doesnt have the fanbase but they are a scrappy team for sure, fun series thus far. PSU wouldve been grear but oh well. Wisconsin....it doesnt do it for me like it does for most fans. Sure there are the similarities and ties but so far it hasnt been compelling enough to justify it as being a competetive series. Should NU knock em off in camp randall this year that could all change. The worst part about the game is that I think most casual fans will keep channel surfing while looking for a game because the color schemes are practically identical. Some people think thats kinda neat but for me it makes the game look a little uninspired, maybe thats just me.

Expansion talk is still running but is being whispered instead yelled right now. Delany and Slive want smaller private schools to be booted from the P5 confrences and this would open up teams to be pooched. We are talking teams like BC, Wake Forest and so on. This would hinder the ACC bad enough that the B1G and SEC could pick off who they want. I see things shaking up in the next 3-5 yrs.

Source? Never heard anything about private schools.

Source? Never heard anything about private schools.

Fan boys count as a source.

I think you guys will start to develop a natural rivalry with Wisconsin over time, simply due to the sheer number of big games you two will play against each other. Most years, the NU/UW game will likely be the East Division de-facto championship. Nothing breeds a rivalry quite like competition.

Geographically, Iowa makes the most sense but I'm not sure the Hawkeyes can be consistently good enough for that to really take off.

Wiscy already has Minnesota, but I always got the impression that rivalry was way more important to the Gophers than the Badgers.

Also, there can be more than one rival. Several schools have two or three.

• 1 month later...

Then there is the whole abbreviation thing. Northwestern fans are still a bit touch about the way we are abbreviated by television outlets (ESPN uses everything from NW to N’Westrn) considering the school, its fans and even the fight song have forever used “NU” a the official abbreviation. We’ve come to learn in our Husker indoctrination that they also use NU despite the fact they’ll readily admit they are the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL as we like to say). Most other B1G fans don’t even register this fan sparring on their radar screen and why should they? For the most part, this burgeoning rivalry is irrelevant on the national landscape, but it is becoming more relevant in the B1G.

The recent B1G division realignment should only supercharge this series. Nebraska and Northwestern are of course both in the West Division and are assured of playing every single season. Certainly from a geographical and historical standpoint, Nebraska has other more logical rivals like border war candidate Iowa or from a most likely to be contending for a division crown aspect – Wisconsin. However, the on-field drama that has unfolded over the past three seasons between NU and UNL is enough for us to already be white-knuckling what the heck will happen on October 18.

http://www.laketheposts.com/2014/07/14/purple-positive-21-the-nebraska-night-game/

Awesome. I really think it would be in both schools interest to adopt the rivalry stakes suggested in the alt uni thread. The loser gets no helmet decal for the following years matchup. Whether or not it seems like it could be a real rivalry or not, Northwestern is making a hell of a series out of this game.

My primary pick for a rival in the big 10 would be Wisconsin. I like trophy games that the big ten has

That being said this is how I would lay it out:

We would play Iowa Veterans day weekend for the Heroes trophy.

We would play Wisconsin the day after Thanksgiving for the BIG RED RIVALRY (loser has to wear black next game) or something similar.

Other possibilities

Although, I hope it doesn't continue to be as close of a rivalry against Northwestern the winner could receive a trophy of a graduation cap and diploma or something.

Minnesota used to play this team before we were in the big 10 way back when and hopefully again it is never close but I wouldn't mind having a trophy in our trophy case every year for walloping on this team.

I think you guys will start to develop a natural rivalry with Wisconsin over time, simply due to the sheer number of big games you two will play against each other. Most years, the NU/UW game will likely be the East Division de-facto championship. Nothing breeds a rivalry quite like competition.

Geographically, Iowa makes the most sense but I'm not sure the Hawkeyes can be consistently good enough for that to really take off.

Wiscy already has Minnesota, but I always got the impression that rivalry was way more important to the Gophers than the Badgers.

Also, there can be more than one rival. Several schools have two or three.

You just say that because you want your big brother to consider you a rival. Funny how no one else in the conference has ever bought into that narrative.

Oh Sparty... you can climb Mount Everest, but at the end of the day you'll still be mSu.