**** What we Learned - McNeese St Edition ****

NUance

* A win is a win is a win.

* Husker fans are really bad at keeping their composure. Super disappointed, you guys.

* On to Fresno!

Good things:

* Very potent on offense. Tommy's a great runner and has a hell of an arm. Maybe take a little mustard off the deep balls, just a little bit, though.

* Ameer & Westerkamp are heroes.

* Some nice things in coverage today. Mitchell being competitive and deflecting passes. McNeese has athletes and made some impressive throws/catches, but I like what we've got at DB this year.

* Demornay Pierson-El. Love what he brings to the field as a freshman, in the pass, and in the return game.

Bad things:

* Some truly baffling decisions by the coaching staff made this more of a game than it needed to be. 4th & 1 option, etc. I get that we're just working on things, but you can't play around like that or you risk screwing the pooch, as we almost did. Coaches got away with it today, but deserve full criticism.

* OL. Bad bad bad. McNeese has speed but these are some dark storm clouds when Nebraska's OL can't simply dominate them. Some suggestions that we kept throwing because we couldn't get the ground game going. If true, that's horrendous and it portends trouble against any quality opponent this year. Jake Cotton, take a penalty lap or five, come on, man.

* DL really needs Gregory back IMO.

* Defense still looks exploitable on the move-the-pocket throws and finding backs and playmakers in the flats in space. Can a sharper team exploit the hell out of this like many have in recent years? Let's hope not. Come on, Bo, let's get an answer here already. Feels like a systemic weakness. OCs must be thinking same.

* We have the ability to pass a lot but it's foolish to have a score-or-bust philosophy. Must build off the run game and try to control the clock. Be different from Oregon in that way.

* How do you expect players to take games seriously when coaches don't? I can't blame coaches for treating these games as tune ups, but they were careless with their playcalls all the way through the 4th quarter and it nearly cost us.Let's see some professionalism before getting all experimental and practice atmosphere.

• Fire 2

We have no LB's with speed (maybe Zaire)

Cockrell looks slow

Our OL got owned

Our DL plays patty cake

Gerry came to play

Westy has crazy hands

No words can describe AA's value to this team

Beck continues to be Beck and should be gone Mon

Paps (or whoever calls the D) needs to be gone

We are in trouble for the rest of the year.

TA like TM is big or break at this point

What we learned today?

This kind of performance is unacceptable by Nebraska Cornhusker football standards. Plain & simple this was unacceptable. Sadly this kind of performance is becoming more of the norm...and that in and of itself is unacceptable.

I'll add more later...

That we even have to "learn" in year 7 we are no closer to winning it all than when Cally was fired in 2007.

Zoogies...your list of bad is twice the size of good...it's year 7. When will it be okay to be upset at seeing games like this?

Well, the bad's more interesting to talk about, so I wrote more (6 bullets vs 4, but it's just an arbitrary list, anyway). And yeah, in a game we should've dominated but almost screwed up, there's more bad than good.

Like I said, though, it's one game, and anything can happen on any day. I don't think we have a bad team, although it's possible we'll have a coach who will never fully be able to avoid taking opponents lightly early in the season.

It's OK to be upset about the day, but how about we hold off on the bigger picture judgments about the program until the season is played out?

Defense

Gangwish doesn't have the size or strength to hold ground.

Banderas is hot and cold. Really missing Rose.

Josh Mitchell and Gerry are studs.

VV and Maliek Collins can create a solid push, but it's useless when linebackers are not filling.

McMullen is the man.

Offense

The o-line was over hyped and struggles run blocking. Pass pro is pretty solid.

Tommy needed to keep more, Mcneese was focused on Ameer.

Passing game could be good but couldn't establish a rythem today.

Tommy was not himself today.

Special Teams

Peirson-El has a bright future.

Kick coverage was outstanding this week.

Foltz had a big part in the win today.

Josh Kalu is fun to watch.

Special teams is 10x better than last year.