*** 2017 Recruiting ***

Just a thought, but maybe we loose out on recruits because the states largest newspaper has articles already saying Riley is on the hot seat if we don't show improvement next year. I mean, who wants to commit to a program where a vocal group of supporters are always looking for the next head coach? Just read this board and there are already posts saying Minnesota has a better coach than we do. Is this the voice of all the fans? No, but schools only have to point this out to recruits and pretty soon you have guys souring on NU.

I think the media is what you make of it. Others would argue that the media has been extremely friendly to Riley. And generally, I do not think they're wrong. Riley endears himself to people. They love the guy, but they'll also make an effort to channel the temperature in the room, as it goes up and down.

I'm really looking forward to this QB room at Nebraska in the next few seasons. For teams with championship aspirations, where Top 25 is a failure relative to Top 10 and Top 10 is a chance missed relative to playoff contention, then everything else on the roster evens out compared to how well you hit at QB. (Save for the few true juggernauts out there, but that's not us, nor is it a reasonable expectation). This is always, always hard, but the Huskers are giving themselves a decent fighting chance with the way things are going.

Probably not the thread for it but I don't want to start another because I'm not sure how much dialogue this will produce.

I read a lot of different boards, including HuskerMax (not a member, just browse). There is a poster by the name ShortSideOption who usually has really good insight and information.

Well tonight while browsing I read a post from him stating essentially the follow: We shouldn't worry about trying to keep up with OhioSt, Michigan or PennSt because it isn't feasible. We should try to stay in the top 1 or 2 spot of the rest of the conference. Also that top 20-30 is where we should shoot to stay in recruiting.

I guess my thoughts are:

Why can't we recruit/compete with those big 3? I understand they have some talent proximity advantages but I don't think overall our program can't strive to compete? OhioSt is on a different level now, Mich is riding a high, PennSt had a good year.....but why can't we have a top 16 class and put ourselves in the picture with them?

Then let's say it is our realistic goal to not worry about catching them in talent acqusition (aka recruiting) and just staying atop of the rest of the big 10. Does anyone really believe Riley is THAT MUCH a better coach than Meyer, Harbough, or Franklin that we can expect to consistently compete with those teams with consistently considerably lessor players?

I probably missed ShortSideOption's point, but the way I was reading his thoughts just blew my mind.

It's not directly relevant to Huskerboard but I do see posters that indirectly seem to be saying the same thing. We grab a few 4 stars, fill the class with 3 stars, and end up with a 25-30 class and that's "solid" or "pretty good" or even "good". If we aren't at least competing with the top of the conference in recruiting, where does our on field advantage come from?

I don't read HuskerMax boards since finding this one, so I don't know this poster. I disagree with him.

While it would be very hard to compete with Michigan and OSU, and I don't think we can benchmark against them at this point, being in the 25 range will keep us right where we are. Need to get a couple top 15 classes with talent that pushes us to a top ten/15 ranking, then we hopefully get consistently better recruits and you can always catch lightning in a bottle with a few studs where we can compete on the field with anyone.

I browse HM mainly for his insights since he seems to be "in the know" about a lot of things.

I think that he has said that we should be filling up the majority of both lines with local kids (local = not necessarily Nebraska, include surrounding states) and then go to Cali, Florida, etc for the skill positions. I think by doing that you are not going to get the highly rated kids at the line positions, which would artificially deflate your ranking.

I feel that we should be shooting for top 4 in the conference every year recruiting wise, and #1 in the West. I don't that that we are ever going to be able to beat OSU/Mich consistently in the rankings (especially with Urb/Harbs), but we should be able to compete with PSU/MSU on the recruiting trail (although they both have built in location advantages). Hopefully being in the top 4 of the B1G recruiting means somewhere in the 10-20 range.

I would agree we shouldn't worry so much about OSU and Michigan. We do need to improve our recruiting and consistently finish at or near top 15, but if we are being honest we are never going to be able to pull top 5 classes 5 years in a row like OSU and UM are capable of doing. We shouldn't focus on keeping up with that I agree, it'seems unattainable, but we should focus on bettering the level of recruiting here at Nebraska

Also stealing this from his post. 247 rankings as of last night:

Rank/Team/# Commits/Avg. Ranking/Total Ranking

2. Ohio State / 18 / 95.93 / 308.94
4. Michigan / 27 / 91.02 / 283.27
14. Penn State / 18 / 88.87 / 227.07
17. Maryland / 29 / 86.10 / 219.33
31. Michigan State / 17 / 86.04 / 187.45
33. Nebraska / 15 / 86.42 / 185.66
35. Rutgers / 20 / 84.54 / 183.66
40. Northwestern / 18 / 85.13 / 178.74
44. Wisconsin / 15 / 85.58 / 175.74
45. Illinois / 17 / 84.67 / 173.50
49. Iowa / 14 / 85.49 / 169.50
52. Minnesota / 24 / 83.03 / 164.59
60. Purdue / 19 / 82.19 / 154.89
62. Indiana / 17 / 82.66 / 151.87

• Fire 2

Yeah, I don't think it's realistic in the short term to try to compete with Michigan and Ohio State. They had several advantages - not the least of which is on-field success - to have much hope of competing with them until we can be more competitive on the field. I've long suspected that recruiting success - to some extent - follows on-field success rather than proceeds it. You have to be able to do a little more with what you have to start really attracting the bigger targets. I think we are seeing this now.

I think it's feasible to compete with Penn State for the #3 spot. They have population advantages and now a Conference Title so that will be tough but I think #4 and pushing for #3 is realistic for the next couple years.

I think in the 30s is probably too low to consistently compete for the conference title. You can be close but you need to be mid- to lower-20s to have a consistent shot.

Cleaned my list up to people who I feel we have at least a remote chance at. Still need at least 7 guys to finish class.

RB 1

Jaylin Bradley :star :star .7667 :bigredn:

WR 2

Joseph Lewis, :star :star :star :star :star .9903 Signing day

Tyjon Lindsey :star:star:star:star .9809 :bigredn:

Jeremiah Holloman :star :star :star :star .9341 Signing day

Lynn Bowden :star :star :star :star .9161 possible visit in January

Jamire Calvin :star :star :star :star .9043 Oregon State commit Coaches will visit one more time

Bryan Thompson :star :star :star .8802

Jeremiah Hawkins :star:star:star .8630 Maybe visiting Jan 13th

Gavin Holmes :star:star:star .8519

OT 1

Chris Walker :star :star .7667 :bigredn:

TE 1

Nick Robinson :star :star :star .8752 visiting in January

Kurt Rafdal :star :star :star .8559 Visiting in January

DT 1-2

Damion Daniels, :star :star :star .8596 Shortly after dead period

DE 1-2

Robert Beal :star :star :star :star .9644 Georgia Commit..possibly visit in January

LB 1

Andrew Ward :star :star :star .8422 :bigredn:

CB 1-2

Deommodore Lenoir :star :star :star :star .9654 Signing day

Greg Johnson :star :star :star :star .9705 Signing Day

Elija Blades :star :star :star :star .8972 Visiting in January

Kamren Curl :star :star :star .8559 Signing Day

S 1

Corion Ballard unrated JUCO

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Fire 1

So, on days like Saturday, when Nebraska doesn't get any of its top targets in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, it's a disappointment. NU had these guys at the top of their board, and had identified Jamire Calvin, Darnay Holmes, Foster Sarell and Chuck Filiaga as key pieces to finishing out the class. Filiaga was always a bit of longshot — he picked Michigan — but Calvin, a speedy slot receiver, appeared to be a lock to Nebraska. He chose Oregon State, whose coach, Gary Andersen, has absolutely no track record of good passing offenses. In his two years at OSU, the Beavers were 116th and 110th in passing offense. And yet Oregon State has beaten out Nebraska for two receiver targets in this cycle.

OWH

I guess if he was covering Oregon State he would be blaming the previous coaching staff lack of talent to work with.

Cleaned my list up to people who I feel we have at least a remote chance at. Still need at least 7 guys to finish class.

RB 1

Jaylin Bradley :star :star .7667 :bigredn:

WR 2

Joseph Lewis, :star :star :star :star :star .9903 Signing day

Jeremiah Holloman :star :star :star :star .9341 Signing day

Lynn Bowden :star :star :star :star .9161 possible visit in January

Bryan Thompson :star :star :star .8802

Jeremiah Hawkins :star:star:star .8630 Maybe visiting Jan 13th

Gavin Holmes :star:star:star .8519

OT 1

Chris Walker :star :star .7667 Wyoming Commit...Visiting Jan 20th

TE 1

Nick Robinson :star :star :star .8752 visiting in January

Kurt Rafdal :star :star :star .8559 Visiting in January

DT 1-2

Tyler Shelvin :star :star :star :star :star .9906 visiting Jan 13th

Noah Elliss :star :star :star :star .8826

Damion Daniels, :star :star :star .8596 Shortly after dead period

DE 1-2

Robert Beal :star :star :star :star .9644 Georgia Commit..possibly visit in January

LB 1

Isaac Slade-Matautia :star :star :star :star .8919

Andrew Ward :star :star :star .8422 :bigredn:

CB 1-2

Deommodore Lenoir :star :star :star :star .9654 Signing day

Greg Johnson :star :star :star :star .9705 Signing Day

Chevin Calloway :star :star :star :star .9588

Elija Blades :star :star :star :star .8972 Visiting in January

TraJon Cotton, :star :star :star .8574

Kamren Curl :star :star :star .8559 Signing Day

S 1

Nick Pickett :star :star :star .8429 Oregon Commit