*** 2017 Recruiting ***

So are we going to finish closer to 25th or 15th this cycle?

35th.

If you play around with the class calculator on 247, I think we come close to top 25 even if we don't land the bigger fish left on the board.
That doesn't fit the narrative that this class is in shambles. Even though level headed people know it's more on the average to above average compared to past classes

It's not in shambles, but it's been hyped for almost a year, and it looks like it's gonna fall right into the NU average of the last decade or so. That's disappointing.
it is disappointing but some are making it out to be worse than it is. We missed but still have a solid class, and will finish well above the 35 mark that Marco Polo thinks we will land at or worse

Good lord people. The only surprise today was Calvin and he's still going to visit here and we have at least a chance.

We've known for months we weren't getting the linemen and Holmes only became a possibility again in the las week.

Stop hanging your life happiness in decisions of 18 year olds.

I don't think Calvin is visiting here. Already used an OV here. I think he's visiting Eugene.

We don't need to go after more than one o-lineman in this class, excluding the KJJ and Mcquitty, we have a total of five scholarship wrs, with a few solid walk-ons. Only two scholarship players have played solid college minutes and Darlington has a possibility of not seeing the field as a wr. Two more wideouts is a must in this class with one or two redshirting, D-line needs another D tackle and another D-end and that position will be good for now, get about two possibly three in the secondary and another TE and possibly a lb and I think that is the class. Unless they find some elite guy they can't pass up on.

Good lord people. The only surprise today was Calvin and he's still going to visit here and we have at least a chance.

We've known for months we weren't getting the linemen and Holmes only became a possibility again in the las week.

Stop hanging your life happiness in decisions of 18 year olds.

I don't think Calvin is visiting here. Already used an OV here. I think he's visiting Eugene.

Ok. But my comment still stands about him being the only surprise.

Yeah, and we already have 2 major WR commits in this class. Wouldn't mind more, for sure, but this was a bad day, not an out-and-out disaster. Plus we're clearly not done at the position yet, regardless of who fills the last two or three spots.

Listen, I'm down for some panicky moments but the kind of freakout we're having seems downright disrespectful of the class we do have and which they are still building on.

We don't need to go after more than one o-lineman in this class, excluding the KJJ and Mcquitty, we have a total of five scholarship wrs, with a few solid walk-ons. Only two scholarship players have played solid college minutes and Darlington has a possibility of not seeing the field as a wr. Two more wideouts is a must in this class with one or two redshirting, D-line needs another D tackle and another D-end and that position will be good for now, get about two possibly three in the secondary and another TE and possibly a lb and I think that is the class. Unless they find some elite guy they can't pass up on.

totally agree. You always want to land the top player in the country if you can (Sarrell) but we are ok at OT givin our current roster situation. Have more pressing spots to fill with our remaining scholarships

Yeah, and we already have 2 major WR commits in this class. Wouldn't mind more, for sure, but this was a bad day, not an out-and-out disaster. Plus we're clearly not done at the position yet, regardless of who fills the last two or three spots.

Listen, I'm down for some panicky moments but the kind of freakout we're having seems downright disrespectful of the class we do have and which they are still building on.

Disrespectful or critical? I'd say being critical is fair, we have 3 guys that are 4stars or better. PennSt has 10, OhioSt has 17, Michigan has 18.
  • Fire 3

I think there's both. Critical I would agree with. Sky is falling, consigning ourselves to a bad season next year, etc. I don't think that's what you are doing, warrior, but for example "Nebraska basketball is all we have left". I see the gallows humor in that, but there's so much of it. Imagine how a current recruit or player feels. Moreover negativity only adds to the work that must be done by the staff.

• Fire 1

I think there's both. Critical I would agree with. Sky is falling, consigning ourselves to a bad season next year, etc. I don't think that's what you are doing, warrior, but for example "Nebraska basketball is all we have left". I see the gallows humor in that, but there's so much of it. Imagine how a current recruit or player feels. Moreover negativity only adds to the work that must be done by the staff.

Gotcha, carry on.

Kind of curious how many of the "it's not a big deal we missed on several of our biggest targets" posters are the same ones blaming the lack of talent for the losses.

I am more concerned with adding talent that fits our system.

We lost out to 3 guys who were top 20 recruits... That is no reason to freak out since they are such hot commodities. IT sucks but going all in like that will have its risk.

I think it sucks we went 0-fer but not nearly as worried as others.

Kind of curious how many of the "it's not a big deal we missed on several of our biggest targets" posters are the same ones blaming the lack of talent for the losses.

I am more concerned with adding talent that fits our system.

We lost out to 3 guys who were top 20 recruits... That is no reason to freak out since they are such hot commodities. IT sucks but going all in like that will have its risk.

I think it sucks we went 0-fer but not nearly as worried as others.

"Fitting the system" is extremely overplayed. QBs have to fit the system. DL to some extent based on 3-4 or 4-3. Other than that, you get the best guys you can. System doesn't matter - the best players can play in any system.

• Fire 2

Updated... sadly.

15 commits on our way to 22 (so they say). Going to be interesting because it seems like we're looking for more guys than we have spots. I think we're looking for 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 OT, 1 DT, 1 DE, 2 CB and 1 S. But that's 10 guys with 7-8 spots available. And that doesn't leave much space for the guys we have to wait until NSD for.

Priority:
DB - Our roster isn't in bad shape but we don't have any commits there yet. Still.
DE - Really need a game-changer. Don't see where that will come from.
WR - We'll see where we go from here...
OT - Will be interesting to see what Walker does. Playing it pretty low-key for now.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - TRISTAN GEBBIA
RB - 1 - JAYLIN BRADLEY
FB - 1 - BEN MILES
WR - 4-5 - KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Jr., JAEVON McQUITTY, Joseph Lewis, Gavin Holmes, Lynn Bowden, Jeremiah Hawkins, Bryan Thompson
TE - 2 - AUSTIN ALLEN, Kurt Rafdal, Nick Robinson
OT - 2-3 - BRENDEN JAIMES, MATT SICHTERMAN, Chris Walker
OG/C - 1 - BROC BANDO

DT - 2-3 - DEONTRE THOMAS, DEIONTAE WATTS, Damion Daniels
DE - 2 - GUY THOMAS
LB - 3 - WILLIE HAMPTON, AVERY ROBERTS, ANDREW WARD, Isaac Slade-Matautia
CB - 2 - TraJon Cotton, Deommodore Lenoir, Greg Johnson, Elijah Blades
S - 1 - Kamren Curl

Edited by Mavric
  • Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***