***** What did we learn - Fresno St Edition *****

walksalone

Offense

1. Tommy is playing pretty well for a Sophomore. Struggling with some of his reads and check downs, but about where you expect a Sophomore to be, if not a little bit ahead of that.

2. O-Line played poorly again this week. Coaches need to find a way to light a fire under them for next week. We won't win many games with that run blocking.

3. Beck's play calling was suspect. I know we put up yards and points, but too many slow developing stretch plays and relying on receiver speed on fly and seam routes. Those won't be there against better competition, which starts this week.

4. The Fresno Defense was over-pursuing our RB's bad last night, and we didn't capitalize on it. Need more PA bootlegs, counters, option, jet sweeps, cutbacks, and reverses.

5. Abdullah > Cross > Newby.

6. I know Ryker is number 2, but I was hoping to see Stanton get some better reps than that last night.

7. We have a great WR group and coach.

Defense

1. We tackled very well last night.

2. I don't like the soft coverage in the secondary.

3. We got really good pressure last night, and not just Gregory.

4. Marcus Newby and Josh Kalu really impressed last night. Just made plays.

5. Valentine owned the inside last night. Collins also played well.

Special Teams

1. Drew Brown will be a great one.

2. So will Pierson-El (Spelling?).

3. We have seen a huge improvement in special teams this year.

• Fire 2

If Beck doesn't get "pass happy" we don't move the ball.

Ameer got his carries in the right situations, but in case you didn't notice, they weren't going far.

Passing: 24 attempts for 282 yards.

Rushing: 42 attampts for 280 yards.

Beck rushes twice as much as he passes. Passing game gets more yards. Each facet helps the other.

Yet people still bitch.

Damn those successful big plays!

Excellent post. Shows we have great weapons offensively and can be efficient in putting points on the board.

My thoughts:

1. Fresno is having a rough season so far

2. Nebraska won the game

3. AA got his hundred yard game

4. Cross can take the rock to the house.

5. we spread the ball around to make plays and scores

6. critics still linger after a win

7. I am not the head coach

8. I still love this team

9. Special team had a good night, punts excellent, Roach rocks special team, and El a very special player and good edition to the team

10. The D did great considering how long they were out on the field

11. We had a lot thrown at us, other teams will be bringing it, specially teams that have nothing to lose

12. Laughing that the coaches poll drop us out of the 25, then show up in the AP after a win. Polls I do not ever care about.

13. TA still working on his game

14. I am a great fan of Nebraska Cornhuskers - don't you forget it! :power

• Fire 1

Ameer got his carries in the right situations, but in case you didn't notice, they weren't going far.

Beck rushes twice as much as he passes. Passing game gets more yards. Each facet helps the other.

Yet people still bitch.

+100

As someone else mentioned, the passing game was much more efficient and effective than the run game.

For all the people complaining about our boom and bust offense, do you think the defense FSU played might have something to do with that?

Who cares if they were cut blocking? As DLineman you are suppose to use your hands to help you in that regard. It's not dirty, it's not against the rules. It absolutely helps against an uncontrolled pass rush. Points for Fresno for using it because they HAD to. Smart Coaching right there. Not dirty. Gregory needs to keep the NFL out of his mind when he speaks. Understand the game, toughen up.

I read an article where they said Randy was complaining about CHOP blocks, not cut blocks. I'll have to see if I can find it.

I went back to look for this and did see a lot of near chop blocks occurring on interior, particularly on VV. I say near because it was hard to see exactly when the high block disengaged and the low block landed. From what I could see though, guys were getting dumped from behind and often after the play moved downfield. I'd say we're damn lucky not to be looking for one or two new starting DT's.

Overall I was happy with the defense, especially considering how may guys we've lost and Gregory wasn't used much. FSU has a credible O and our starters only let them in the endzone once. We got a nice pass-rush, Newby looks great out there. Kalu and Jones were obviously underrated as recruits, they are going to be good players for us. Bando wasn't conspicuous like in the previous two games. Still have an issue with running qb's that needs fixing.

Anyone catch Armstrong's cut block that nearly caused the defender to do a complete forward flip?

I did. Called it out on the game discussion thread. Give Fresno some of their own medicine.

Still, there is a considerable difference between cut-blocking when things are moving fast and you need to make a play and diving at guys' knees as a general stratagem like Fresno was doing. The latter is considered to go against code, to be cheap bush-league play. If everyone did as Fresno did Saturday d-linemen would start dropping like flies and cut-blocking in general would become illegal.

Yet people still bitch.

+100

As someone else mentioned, the passing game was much more efficient and effective than the run game.

For all the people complaining about our boom and bust offense, do you think the defense FSU played might have something to do with that?

Who cares if they were cut blocking? As DLineman you are suppose to use your hands to help you in that regard. It's not dirty, it's not against the rules. It absolutely helps against an uncontrolled pass rush. Points for Fresno for using it because they HAD to. Smart Coaching right there. Not dirty. Gregory needs to keep the NFL out of his mind when he speaks. Understand the game, toughen up.

I read an article where they said Randy was complaining about CHOP blocks, not cut blocks. I'll have to see if I can find it.

From what I could see though, guys were getting dumped from behind and often after the play moved downfield. I'd say we're damn lucky not to be looking for one or two new starting DT's.

This.

Florida State lost three DL players to he Citadel due to dirty blocking tactics. Imagine being down Gregory, VV, AND Collins this morning due to leg injuries. We'd need to contact Tony Siragusa to see if he'd be able to cut HB a deal on Depends for Men...

I guess Gregory said Fresno's line played dirty, going for low cut blocks, called their coach dirty.

Serious question, did the NCAA make a rule change that makes cut blocks by offensive lineman illegal?

If not then Randy needs to zip it.

There is a difference between a cut block and a chop block. Chop blocks are illegal and seemed to be what he was talking about.

I guess Gregory said Fresno's line played dirty, going for low cut blocks, called their coach dirty.

Serious question, did the NCAA make a rule change that makes cut blocks by offensive lineman illegal?

There is a difference between a cut block and a chop block. Chop blocks are illegal and seemed to be what he was talking about.

I know the difference between chop blocks and cut blocks, the problem is most people don't. Randy said cut blocks, and there is nothing wrong with them,as far I know. If they were chopping, then Randy or the coaching staff needed to address that with the officials.

Now, I thought that a few years ago there was a new rule that outside of a certain area that cut blocks were no longer allowed, but I've never seen anything that says that OL can't cut block at the LOS. I could hav missed something.

I know the difference between chop blocks and cut blocks, the problem is most people don't. Randy said cut blocks, and there is nothing wrong with them,as far I know. If they were chopping, then Randy or the coaching staff needed to address that with the officials.

Now, I thought that a few years ago there was a new rule that outside of a certain area that cut blocks were no longer allowed, but I've never seen anything that says that OL can't cut block at the LOS. I could hav missed something.

Do you have the exact quote from Randy? I've looked but haven't found him quoted as specifying the type of block. Just that they were "dirty".