Defensive turnovers

We had three last night. Great to see.

Do you feel we were more opportunistic, took more chances or is it just some really poor decisions by Miami's QB?

We actually had 4( 3 picks, 1 fumble), but the #ACCRefs called one of the worst "roughing the passer" penalties in the history of the sport.

All 3 interceptions came when we started dropping into zone.

Should have had 5. Maliek should have recovered that strip of the qb that went 15 yds backwords. He was the first there, just didn't come up with it.

To be honest, it looked as though he thought the play was over, and that it was an incomplete pass. A missed chance on his part, but the result still hurt Miami.

Kaaya throws the ball up for grabs when pressured. That was his way of getting scared when the quick throw wasn't open. I don't know if our opponents in the future will float balls into our secondary, but we proved we can catch them. Roach is exactly what you think of a MLB. He likes the lay the lumber and is always sniffing for the football. I believe he caused a fumble on special teams last week against Fresno St as well.

Miami has a true freshman QB who can be pressured into making errant passes and an OL that is not disciplined, which can hamper their running success. Nebraska, both coaches and players, took full advantage of this and developed a defensive game plan that would lead to TO, and our players executed well. Credit goes to our team for exposing the opponents' flaws and making them pay.

Should have had 5. Maliek should have recovered that strip of the qb that went 15 yds backwords. He was the first there, just didn't come up with it.

To be honest, it looked as though he thought the play was over, and that it was an incomplete pass. A missed chance on his part, but the result still hurt Miami.

Agreed, I think there will be some team ribbing as it was all his and he was jogging.

One was a fumble caused by Roach, who certainly made his case for more snaps at MLB. It's unfortunate Gerry's was negated, but Gerry has a bright future. He has speed and spending a season at LB probably benefitted him tremendously in making reads. Kalu is also going to see increased snaps.

yep, unheralded genius for this game was Nathan Gerry. So much for Coley&Dorsett speedsters.

Okay, I'm biased because Nathan and me was the same HS alumni .. Sioux Falls Washington ..... GO WARRIORS !

Kaaya throws the ball up for grabs when pressured. That was his way of getting scared when the quick throw wasn't open. I don't know if our opponents in the future will float balls into our secondary, but we proved we can catch them. Roach is exactly what you think of a MLB. He likes the lay the lumber and is always sniffing for the football. I believe he caused a fumble on special teams last week against Fresno St as well.

Not trying to pick on you here... but we complain and complain and complain that our defense never gets turnovers, and then when we do it's only because the other team gave them to us. Well, they capitalized when they needed to and they deserve credit fori t.

Not trying to pick on you here... but we complain and complain and complain that our defense never gets turnovers, and then when we do it's only because the other team gave them to us. Well, they capitalized when they needed to and they deserve credit fori t.

Not complaining. I called it before the game. Miami needed quick throws to keep Kaaya calm and avoid pressure. When pressure arrives he heaves it to anyone. Not taking anything from Nebraska; we got the pressure. I haven't watched some of the other teams we play as closely as I have watch Miami to this point.

There really should have been 5 turnovers last night.

Nate Gerry stepping in front of the pass and picking it was a thing of beauty made all the better by the fact that we scooped and scored on Miami's last possession. Tessatore's call on that was great.

Maliek gave up on that fumble because he thought it was incomplete. You can even see him look back towards the ref before running to the ball. That was too bad as he could've ran a way if he would've picked it up.

Regardless, despite giving up more passing yards than I would have liked, we looked really good defensively. The constant struggle is going to be our LB covering the RBs and TEs in the middle of the field. That is our weak spot on D. But I think it can be helped by playing more of a true zone with 3 CBs and a peso kind of player (Kalu maybe?)