Mike Pereira: Nebraska's Bo Pelini once again crosses the line with officials

zoogs

Don't defend this idiot's article. It's a crap piece and doesn't have anything to do with the reality of what happened in that exchange between Pelini and the refs. Sheesh.

Sorry. My points weren't solely about this article. I just think your ongoing conviction that Pelini is treated unfairly by a national press with a vendetta/agenda to be easily disproved, tiresome and counter-productive.

Don't defend this idiot's article. It's a crap piece and doesn't have anything to do with the reality of what happened in that exchange between Pelini and the refs. Sheesh.

Sorry. My points weren't solely about this article. I just think your ongoing conviction that Pelini is treated unfairly by a national press with a vendetta/agenda to be easily disproved, tiresome and counter-productive.

If you'd be so kind as to point out where I've said the bold...

Guy, probably for the last two years Bo hasn't done anything that most other coaches do. The fact is, in the media, he has a reputation (by his own fault from his first few years) of being a hot head. So, every little argument he gets into get blown way out of proportion by someone.

It's total BS. it has been pointed out time and time again where other top coaches around the country get angry no the sidelines and nothing gets said in the media. Heck, earlier this year, I was watching an Alabama game and Saben absolutely went off on a few players in a time out. The camera was on him and the entire world sees it. is there anything said in the media? Is he looked at as a hot head? He does this a lot. He is a football coach just like Bo.

Pelini did nothing wrong. As a basketball ref, I can say (unless I'm some oddball weirdo), that referee management by coaches is an enormously important thing, not only to argue calls, but to point out stuff that's going on that you don't like. In any sport, there's going to be some borderline plays/calls. If I make a close call, or a bad one, and I don't hear anything from the coach, I'm going to subconsciously file that away as not being a bad call. If I know I blew a call and the coach is on me, I'm on my toes, and I'm going to do my best to not bring that coach down on me again, at least soon. The rule book says never, ever, partake in makeup calls, but the reality is that they happen all the time. If I call a blocking foul on Team A on a 50/50 play, and the coach gets on me, I'm not exactly going to be feeling bad, but I will be extra mindful to not turn around and nail Team A with a charge on a similar play on the other end of the court.

Referees above all else want to be fair. Many would privately concede that the perception of fairness might even trump accuracy in some limited circumstances. Good coaches exploit this impulse by getting inside the official's head and trying to convince them that their team is getting the short end of the stick from the refs. Two step guide to doing that: pick your spots wisely and manage your tone. I *hate* whiny coaches and players. Complain about everything and I'm going to stop taking your complaints seriously and start getting annoyed with you personally, which while not intentional, likely will not help you as the game goes on. Tone is important, though the acceptable range is wider. The ideal coach chooses his words carefully, makes sound, rational arguments, says thanks and pats you on the back after you acknowledge his comments. That said, anger isn't always bad. I'm a fan, I get mad at the refs too, and we understand this. It's just riskier, because we don't appreciate getting b!tched out especially when we don't deserve it, which happens. This would be Pelini's overall weakness, but it's his style and he's not going to change. For him, the main focus is picking his spots wisely, which I generally think he does, and limiting the blow ups to genuinely bad calls that really hurt the Huskers.

Just my $.02, other zebras on here might have different perspectives.

• Fire 2

Pelini did nothing wrong. As a basketball ref, I can say (unless I'm some oddball weirdo), that referee management by coaches is an enormously important thing, not only to argue calls, but to point out stuff that's going on that you don't like. In any sport, there's going to be some borderline plays/calls. If I make a close call, or a bad one, and I don't hear anything from the coach, I'm going to subconsciously file that away as not being a bad call. If I know I blew a call and the coach is on me, I'm on my toes, and I'm going to do my best to not bring that coach down on me again, at least soon. The rule book says never, ever, partake in makeup calls, but the reality is that they happen all the time. If I call a blocking foul on Team A on a 50/50 play, and the coach gets on me, I'm not exactly going to be feeling bad, but I will be extra mindful to not turn around and nail Team A with a charge on a similar play on the other end of the court.

Referees above all else want to be fair. Many would privately concede that the perception of fairness might even trump accuracy in some limited circumstances. Good coaches exploit this impulse by getting inside the official's head and trying to convince them that their team is getting the short end of the stick from the refs. Two step guide to doing that: pick your spots wisely and manage your tone. I *hate* whiny coaches and players. Complain about everything and I'm going to stop taking your complaints seriously and start getting annoyed with you personally, which while not intentional, likely will not help you as the game goes on. Tone is important, though the acceptable range is wider. The ideal coach chooses his words carefully, makes sound, rational arguments, says thanks and pats you on the back after you acknowledge his comments. That said, anger isn't always bad. I'm a fan, I get mad at the refs too, and we understand this. It's just riskier, because we don't appreciate getting b!tched out especially when we don't deserve it, which happens. This would be Pelini's overall weakness, but it's his style and he's not going to change. For him, the main focus is picking his spots wisely, which I generally think he does, and limiting the blow ups to genuinely bad calls that really hurt the Huskers.

Just my $.02, other zebras on here might have different perspectives.

I used to referee basketball as well and have coached multiple youth sports and this is about as good of a summary as there can be on how it really works between coaches and officials. As an official, you always want to be impartial and get the call right but these other things do impact how you call a game to some extent. Likewise, when you are coaching, it is important that you do work the officials- not piss them off but work them just enough so that they honestly think you feel you're getting hosed a little bit. It's part of the coaches job and one that I think Bo does fairly well. the only problem is that his angry face is so damned angry looking that it looks bad on TV but, I would bet those officials who get to talk to him before, during, and after games actually realize he is not some psycho killer, unlike some in the national media.

Guy, probably for the last two years Bo hasn't done anything that most other coaches do. The fact is, in the media, he has a reputation (by his own fault from his first few years) of being a hot head. So, every little argument he gets into get blown way out of proportion by someone.

It's total BS. it has been pointed out time and time again where other top coaches around the country get angry no the sidelines and nothing gets said in the media. Heck, earlier this year, I was watching an Alabama game and Saben absolutely went off on a few players in a time out. The camera was on him and the entire world sees it. is there anything said in the media? Is he looked at as a hot head? He does this a lot. He is a football coach just like Bo.

Wait.

Are you guys saying that Bo Pelini isn't any more hotheaded than most college football coaches?

Can we say we like Bo's fiery nature, then pretend it isn't any more fiery than the average coach?

Bo Pelnii was throwing clipboards and getting into players' grills last week at Fresno State in a game Nebraska was winning big. Less than 12 months ago he was having a huge spat with his own defensive coordinator mid-game, prompting players to intervene. Six games and less than 10 months ago he had a petulant, profanity-laced post-game outburst virtually daring the AD to fire him. A sizeable contingent of Husker fans weren't necessarily opposed. That wasn't a creation of the media. Hardly ancient history either.

He has generally gotten better at the microphone, and his PR efforts appear both sincere and savvy, but whether you think his anger Saturday was justified or not, it's vintage angry Bo. Does he get angrier more often than most coaches? Yes. He does. Are there other coaches who get just as angry? Sure. How do we know? Because like you say, when Nick Saban goes off, the camera is on him for the world to see. For some reason you're assuming the world don't consider Nick Saban a hothead. Or that Pat Haden storming out on the field doesn't make news. The media actually treats Bo Pelini the same way it treats other coaches who act the same way. Some notorious hotheads happen to be good coaches, too.

Or to look at this another way: can you accurately describe Bo Pelini using words that you don't mind the national media using?

• Fire 1

Bo Pelnii was throwing clipboards and getting into players' grills last week at Fresno State in a game Nebraska was winning big. Less than 12 months ago he was having a huge spat with his own defensive coordinator mid-game, prompting players to intervene. Six games and less than 10 months ago he had a petulant, profanity-laced post-game outburst virtually daring the AD to fire him. A sizeable contingent of Husker fans weren't necessarily opposed. That wasn't a creation of the media. Hardly ancient history either.

Are you sure the bolded isn't exaggerated?

• Fire 1

If you'd be so kind as to point out where I've said the bold...

That would be here:

I also noticed that, once again, any time something happened that wasn't positive for Nebraska, they put Bo's face on camera. 99% of the time Bo was utterly boring, just walking the sideline talking into his headset. This one time Bo goes ballistic (justifiably) and this nitwit writes a "Bo must go" piece over it.

This article is like the comic making Milli Vanilli jokes 20 years after they were relevant. You missed your timing, sport. It's a different Bo right now.

Assuming that the "they" who put Bo's face on camera is the national sports network broadcasting the game, and that they were willfully ignoring the 99% boring Bo in order to highlight something negative about Nebraska. Hence "unfair."

I don't want to paraphrase from old posts, but it's the same basic case you've made repeatedly.

Something got under Pereira's skin, and my guess is it's blind loyalty to the officials, but he didn't write a "Bo must go" piece. He wrote a "Bo needs to get a flag next time he comes that far out on the field and makes the wrong argument." Bit of a difference.

I think there's too much thin skin all around.

Are you sure the bolded isn't exaggerated?

That was the chickensh#t press conference, iirc, and while that may not fit the definition of "laced" it was chosen for effect by a coach who decided he didn't give a sh#t what people were going to say about him after a mystifying beatdown by Iowa, where the chickensh#t call had nothing to do with a 21 point loss to an unranked team at home.

I have this big thing about taking responsibility, and blaming the media generally strikes me as cowardly.

That last pick on that video is great...totally pre-planned

I had no idea Jamal Turner picked it off with a torn achilles.

Anybody ever stop to think that Bo never heard the roughing call and was yelling because he just thought they were PFs, and then saw Miami had a first down? I know in the stadium you couldn't hear the ref on the PA system so there's a good chance Bo never heard the full ruling either, hence why he calmed down quite a bit after the he had it explained to him. Something old Mike never considered before all but calling Bo and idiot.

That last pick on that video is great...totally pre-planned

I had no idea Jamal Turner picked it off with a torn achilles.

Anybody ever stop to think that Bo never heard the roughing call and was yelling because he just thought they were PFs, and then saw Miami had a first down? I know in the stadium you couldn't hear the ref on the PA system so there's a good chance Bo never heard the full ruling either, hence why he calmed down quite a bit after the he had it explained to him. Something old Mike never considered before all but calling Bo and idiot.

Absolutely. It's obvious that Bo was misinformed somewhere along the way because he freaked out as soon as he realized Miami retained possession.