This year's defense

This defense needs to play better to start games and finish games, I know that last touchdown by Miami didn't matter but I still hated it and they have been slow to start game this year vs FAU and Miami this won't fly vs msu and Wisconsin

The slow starts are very concerning, being bitter about the last Miami touchdown is a slight overreaction.

The weak spot right now is linebackers. As long as the front 4 stays healthy (knock on wood), between the tackles running shouldn't be a problem, and I'm not worried about our secondary. But those linebackers.....I don't have a stat on this but it feels like the vast majority of damage against our defense so far this year has been on a combination of running plays getting to the edge, shallow crossing routes to speedsters and check downs to the flats. I think they'll get that leak patched up somewhat, but it's definitely the weak link in an otherwise pretty strong chain.

• Fire 1

People might be knocking the LB's, but I thought Santos played as well if not the best of any defender out there. Miami has buckets of speed, and I thought we pretty much neutralized it all game long. The slow starts don't necessarily concern me as it primarily seems like we're feeling out the offense the first possession or two. Concerning the level of speed and talent Miami has, I felt this was the most complete game we've played in what seems like forever.

As of now it's a very average defense with one great player. But teams are going to key on Gregory all year and the other guys have to step up. I have no doubt the line guys will, but the lack of talent at LB is a huge problem with no real solution. The fact is this defense is substantially worse then it was at the end of last year mainly due to the loss of personel you mentioned.

That's the bad news. The good news is the offense is an order of magnitude better. The defense doesn't need to be great.

Also, I strongly disagree that any of the teams we play will present the problems matchup wise Miami did. MSU and Wisc are better overall then Miami but they aren't offenses we should get gashed by. If the D keeps us in the game the offense will get it done. I think you will see a lot of close first halves with Neb pulling away in the second half as defenses get worn down by the ground game.

I think most of the problems have been because of the linebackers, but Santos had a good game his best of the season and if Roach gets more playing time ahead of bando the defense will be fine

I like the kid, but he is too slow. He may be ok on first down, but a liability on passing downs.

Could we slide a DB in on obvious passing downs?

Give the linebackers time to get it together. Pelini's defenses always take some time to get working properly. Last year it took over half the season until we fixed our lb problems. In 09 Phillip Dillard struggled early but ended up having a great season. I think Pelini is getting more comfortable putting our young d in zone d as we saw against Miami and this will help with covering those backs in the flats.

Defense is the unit that concerns me. I like the front 4 and have seen very good things from RG, VV, and McMullen. Miami negated our front 4 by getting the ball out quick. This is where teams exploit mismatches against our LB's and our secondary still needs to play better. We were being thrown against too easily and thus the very timely turnovers won us the game (props to the guys who made the needed plays...Roach forced fumble recovered by Mitchell, Santos diving INT, and a big INT by Kalu). We need to continue to get those opportunistic turnovers. Entire LB unit needs to improve. I like how Gerry has played for the most part. Mitchell, Davie, and Cockrell have been a bit shaky IMO so need better play from all of them. Cooper and Z. Anderson are players that we need to go to that next level...I think both are there athletically but have not seen them make a lot of plays this year, these guys need to be playmakers on defense. Kalu and Newby are promising young players.

:bonesflag:

• Fire 2

Defense is the unit that concerns me. I like the front 4 and have seen very good things from RG, VV, and McMullen. Miami negated our front 4 by getting the ball out quick. This is where teams exploit mismatches against our LB's and our secondary still needs to play better. We were being thrown against too easily and thus the very timely turnovers won us the game (props to the guys who made the needed plays...Roach forced fumble recovered by Mitchell, Santos diving INT, and a big INT by Kalu). We need to continue to get those opportunistic turnovers. Entire LB unit needs to improve. I like how Gerry has played for the most part. Mitchell, Davie, and Cockrell have been a bit shaky IMO so need better play from all of them. Cooper and Z. Anderson are players that we need to go to that next level...I think both are there athletically but have not seen them make a lot of plays this year, these guys need to be playmakers on defense. Kalu and Newby are promising young players.

:bonesflag:

I disagree about Mitchell and Davie. Both have played well above par imo. Davie was in great position when that Miami receiver caught that ball but he came back the next play with a huge tfl. He has been great in run support. I totally agree about Cooper and Zaire. I think Cooper has been dealing with a hamstring injury which has slowed him down.

We need to get the LB situation settled. Did Bando put on weight for this year? He just seems slower.

Maybe he took his blackshirt status for granted and didn't work hard during the offseason. Or he was just too busy to work hard because he was stealing other people's stuff.

It was an offseason battle at the Mike spot with Bando and M Rose, with both players and coaches saying it was 50:50 before Rose's injury. No way he wasn't taking the offseason seriously, unless he is that much better than M Rose naturally to force a position battle without working for it (which I doubt). Still, he needs to work on form tackling and being a half-step faster in his decision making.