**** What we learned - Illinois edition ****

walksalone

Better throwing mechanics, yes, at times be does, but he isn't the better passer.

If you wish to continue believing this, I highly recommend you don't review Taylor's passing stats through the first 5 games of his sophomore season.

Why do i need to go back that far, he was horrible for his whole career,,right?

Better throwing mechanics, yes, at times be does, but he isn't the better passer.

If you wish to continue believing this, I highly recommend you don't review Taylor's passing stats through the first 5 games of his sophomore season.

Nice job avoiding the evidence that contradicts your point. The old, "LALALALALA... I'M NOT LISTENING! I'M NOT LISTENING!" rebuttal.

I agree with the Dude, Taylor's sophomore season was what 56% 13 TD's and 8 INT's with roughly 2000 yards and a 126.5 rating? Tommy is already at 10 TD's only 3 picks, 1052 yards and a QB rating of 154.2..... Only through five games. One may argue Taylor was a better runner, but his sophomore season he had 4.6 yards a carry, Tommy is averaging 8.4 yac. Not dissing Taylor but stats are stats

• Fire 1

I agree with the Dude, Taylor's sophomore season was what 56% 13 TD's and 8 INT's with roughly 2000 yards and a 126.5 rating? Tommy is already at 10 TD's only 3 picks, 1052 yards and a QB rating of 154.2..... Only through five games. One may argue Taylor was a better runner, but his sophomore season he had 4.6 yards a carry, Tommy is averaging 8.4 yac. Not dissing Taylor but stats are stats

Taylor and Tommy don't play in a vacuum however, and the offensive line we currently have is far and away better than anything Martinez played with.

Do you remember that those rushing stats include sacks, which you can't really blame on the quarterback.

Taylor and Tommy don't play in a vacuum however, and the offensive line we currently have is far and away better than anything Martinez played with.

Do you remember that those rushing stats include sacks, which you can't really blame on the quarterback.

Avoiding sacks are credit to the QB though and Tommy is much better at that. Not saying that Tommy turns potential sacks into home runs like Taylor(BIG championship game) but he avoids them as good as anyone, whether it is throwing the ball away or scrambling. My point was not to diss Taylor as I enjoyed watching him as much as anyone, I am just saying that as a game manager and doing what needs to be done, Tommy has got the edge. Just my opinion

• Fire 4

Avoiding sacks are credit to the QB though and Tommy is much better at that. Not saying that Tommy turns potential sacks into home runs like Taylor(BIG championship game) but he avoids them as good as anyone, whether it is throwing the ball away or scrambling. My point was not to diss Taylor as I enjoyed watching him as much as anyone, I am just saying that as a game manager and doing what needs to be done, Tommy has got the edge. Just my opinion

I think it's funny, that I say we shouldn't argue over the quarterbacks because it only divides and it turns into an argument about the quarterbacks. You value one thing I value another it doesn't really matter we want Nebraska to win I don't get why you keep arguing.

I think it's funny, that I say we shouldn't argue over the quarterbacks because it only divides and it turns into an argument about the quarterbacks. You value one thing I value another it doesn't really matter we want Nebraska to win I don't get why you keep arguing.

I was trying to create a divide, I was using stats to compare the two through their sophomore years and everything I said was disputed. I was just bringing up facts/stats to support what myself and others were saying. GBR

I was trying to create a divide, I was using stats to compare the two through their sophomore years and everything I said was disputed. I was just bringing up facts/stats to support what myself and others were saying. GBR

And you're picking stats that best make the argument you want to make and ignore those that don't.

For example you chose Sophomore year to compare, when TA is only 5 games in against weak competition. It's disingenuous. I'm sure since he's the better QB your argument will stand with freshman year stats... right?

TMart Rushing 2010:

162 ATT

965 Yards

6.0 Avg

TA Rushing 2013:

67 ATT

202 Yards

3.0 Avg

Well, I know what QB I'd rather have. But since Martinez was a horrible passer, surely passing stats will still favor TA.

TMart Passing 2010:

196 ATT

116 CMP

59.2 Completion %

1631 YDS

8.3 AVG

10 TD

138.8 Rating

TA Passing 2013:

131 ATT

68 CMP

51.9 Completion %

966 YDS

7.4 AVG

9 TD

124.3 Rating

Oh.... never mind. I guess your arguments are being disputed because they're weak.

And you're picking stats that best make the argument you want to make and ignore those that don't.

For example you chose Sophomore year to compare, when TA is only 5 games in against weak competition. It's disingenuous. I'm sure since he's the better QB your argument will stand with freshman year stats... right?

TMart Rushing 2010:

162 ATT

965 Yards

6.0 Avg

TA Rushing 2013:

67 ATT

202 Yards

3.0 Avg

Well, I know what QB I'd rather have. But since Martinez was a horrible passer, surely passing stats will still favor TA.

TMart Passing 2010:

196 ATT

116 CMP

59.2 Completion %

1631 YDS

8.3 AVG

10 TD

138.8 Rating

TA Passing 2013:

131 ATT

68 CMP

51.9 Completion %

966 YDS

7.4 AVG

9 TD

124.3 Rating

Oh.... never mind.

Ok.... You just did the exact thing you said I did. I pulled up Taylor's entire soph season and compared it to Tommy thus far in this season. The only area where Taylor was better was completion percentage. I brought up this years stats because this is the season we are in, not last season. And what was all the stiff competition during the start of 2011, UT-Chatanooga, Wyoming, Fresno and Washington?

TMart Rushing 2010:

162 ATT

965 Yards

6.0 Avg

TA Rushing 2013:

67 ATT

202 Yards

3.0 Avg

TMart Passing 2010:

196 ATT

116 CMP

59.2 Completion %

1631 YDS

8.3 AVG

10 TD

138.8 Rating

TA Passing 2013:

131 ATT

68 CMP

51.9 Completion %

966 YDS

7.4 AVG

9 TD

124.3 Rating

Oh.... never mind.

Ok.... You just did the exact thing you said I did. I pulled up Taylor's entire soph season and compared it to Tommy thus far in this season. The only area where Taylor was better was completion percentage. I brought up this years stats because this is the season we are in, not last season.
No. I compared it Tommy's freshman year. Martinez had a better QB rating, completion percentage, average running yards, and average passing yards. If I honestly cared enough I could get stats through the first 5 games of his sophomore year to compare to this year but I dont care that much. It's why I tried to stop the debate.

I have a question. How much better do you really think the offensive line is this year than years past? I think it may be a little better, but it's not leaps and bounds. Let's look at what we do offensively. First off, we have a transcending player for a running back. Makes the whole offense look good. Taylor didnt really have that. Yeah, I loved Burkhead too, but he was nowhere close to the caliber that Ameer Abdullah is today. It's just a hard fact of life. But the other thing is Tommy's ability and, more importantly, willingness to stretch the field vertically on a routine basis has done so much to open up this offense in the box. it's a night and day difference. Combine that with the fact that Tommy is obviously more comfortable with the read action in the zone game, and his mesh with Ameer is the prettiest thing I've ever seen. It's my opinion but to Tommy is already better than Taylor ever was when it comes to doing what a qb should do, and that's lead the offense. There's much more to it than nitpicking stats and picks and completion percentage. It's how the team responds to the leadership and what the qb brings to the table from a threat standpoint.

• Fire 1

If we're nit-picking a couple plays from a game where we averaged about 8.5 yards per play, rolled up 55 points and nearly 800 yards of offense and only punted once with the starters in, I think it's possible that our expectations are a bit unreasonable.

Edit: after re-reading, I think you meant McNeese, not FAU.

+1

Lol. Says +1 and subsequently fails to actually +1.

I was on my phone which doesn't allow me to do that.

I have a question. How much better do you really think the offensive line is this year than years past? I think it may be a little better, but it's not leaps and bounds. Let's look at what we do offensively. First off, we have a transcending player for a running back. Makes the whole offense look good. Taylor didnt really have that. Yeah, I loved Burkhead too, but he was nowhere close to the caliber that Ameer Abdullah is today. It's just a hard fact of life. But the other thing is Tommy's ability and, more importantly, willingness to stretch the field vertically on a routine basis has done so much to open up this offense in the box. it's a night and day difference. Combine that with the fact that Tommy is obviously more comfortable with the read action in the zone game, and his mesh with Ameer is the prettiest thing I've ever seen. It's my opinion but to Tommy is already better than Taylor ever was when it comes to doing what a qb should do, and that's lead the offense. There's much more to it than nitpicking stats and picks and completion percentage. It's how the team responds to the leadership and what the qb brings to the table from a threat standpoint.

I don't know if I would say "leaps and bounds," but I think the line is definitely better. I remember seeing an obscene statistic about the amount of Ameer's carries where first contact is 5+ yards down field. That is a testament to the quality of line. I think the depth is considerably better, too.

MO:

How the heck is that an apt comparison at all?

You compared TMart's FRESHMAN season when we fully knew he was the QB Bo and Beck had hitched their wagon to TA's first season as a starter during which he only started 8 games when Taylor went down? And that's counting the Penn State game where he was 1 for 2 before he left the game?

That's a terrible comp. Apples and oranges if I've ever seen it. That offense ran through TMart's ability to run the zone read. Of course his running numbers are going to be superior to TA's. And last year they had the kid gloves on with TA since they didn't even plan on him being the starter until TM went down.

I see why you ended the debate. If you didn't want to get hammered, don't use such a ridiculous comparison.