Jet-Sweep Read Option

I've always thought the read option needs a third option that would extend the possibility of the play to the sidelines. This seems to be what has developed into that option. I like it. The read option seems to me to be a great play but it basically goes from just off tackle on both sides. There wasn't anything that made the defense defend all the way from side line to side line (unless the RB bumps it out that far).

I believe we started seeing that in the Fresno game. Last week we gave it to the WR a time or two. It's interesting in that I don't ever really remember us getting major gains from it yet.

If I were Tim Beck... and of course...

cn17o.jpg

I'd think another wrinkle that would accomplish this would be that zone read run-pass option where Tommy has the choice to hand it off to Ameer, keep it and take off himself, or pass it to the WR on the sideline. That play hasn't worked for more than about 7 or 8 yards at most in the past, but in terms of spreading the defense out and making them respect the entire field, I'd do it at least once or twice. It's the same concept as throwing the deep ball to stretch them vertically, only we're doing it horizontally.

I feel like it could help unclog the middle and open up some running lanes.

Well, the idea that I always had in my mind was, if you actually lined up with two RBs (one on each side of the QB). You would use the normal read option with the first RB. The second RB would follow/go wide on a traditional option route so if the QB keeps the ball, it then turns into a traditional option play.

But, there are lots of ways you can do it and there are much smarter people than me that do this for a living.

I'm waiting to see their safeties creep up on that run game. If they do, we play action action off that sweep and hit em deep. Alonzo or maybe Peirson-El sprinting down the field and the grass being wet, their safeties won't be able to recover and catch up.

If Tommy is called upon in this passing game, he will deliver. It will only take once or twice Michigan St. getting burned deep and they'll back off. The its Ameer and Tommy ground attack time.

I'm pretty sure Pierson el has ran it at least once this year. He is credited with one rush for no gain.

I noticed that Bell isn't credited with a rush. Was that play listed as a pass play?

If I remember the play correctly TA tossed it to Bell as he was running by in front. I guess it must have been a forward pass.

I'm waiting to see their safeties creep up on that run game. If they do, we play action action off that sweep and hit em deep. Alonzo or maybe Peirson-El sprinting down the field and the grass being wet, their safeties won't be able to recover and catch up.

If Tommy is called upon in this passing game, he will deliver. It will only take once or twice Michigan St. getting burned deep and they'll back off. The its Ameer and Tommy ground attack time.

Their safeties are heavily involved in the run stop game. I hope to see Beck involve our TE in the passing game. He should have something designed specifically for them. Maybe some waggle action when they are playing H-back like they were doing a lot against Miami.

I think you will see a lot of WR screens to start the game to loosen their defense up against the run. It is also a nice fairly safe pass to get TA some confidence going.

The shovel pass to AA will probably reappear, again its a safe pass to get things going.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Huskers use the twins each way with both set out towards the sideline like they did on the play last year against Sparty that Cross ran for a TD. That formation puts a lot of stress on their base defense, which they play a lot of, because the LB's and/or Safeties have to stay out wide. Then Sparty has at most 7 in the box with man-to-man outside against 4 receivers.

• Fire 1

Another reason our team should run the jet sweep is to allow our defense to get used to it in practice, as that is the one offensive scheme Pelini's teams have struggled with in recent years (Wisconsin and Minnesota). The more our D handles it in practice, the better they will do against opponents running that.

Our defense doesnt face our offense in practice during the season. What our offense does has nothing to do with what our defense is preparing for.

I think there were more options run from it during the Miami game than in the Illinois game.

I mean you have the actual jet sweep with the handoff to the reciever, you have the fake and handoff to the back, you have the double fake and the QB keeps it for the run, you have the play action off of it, you have the reverse sweep. There is just so much with that package, you makes you kind of giddy thinking about it,

I saw this play last night. It reminded me a bit of the desire for a "third option" that this thread wants.

It's an updated version of the triple option. They didn't run it with any success last night (their OLine didn't play well at all), but I like the concept. They call it the straddle triple option.

I could see a rocket jet sweep ran with the motion man that they show in the speed option variation of the play.

I saw this play last night. It reminded me a bit of the desire for a "third option" that this thread wants.

It's an updated version of the triple option. They didn't run it with any success last night (their OLine didn't play well at all), but I like the concept. They call it the straddle triple option.

I could see a rocket jet sweep ran with the motion man that they show in the speed option variation of the play.

Wow....that is exactly what I was describing. Especially the first play shown.

I haven't watched much Oregon football to know what they have done in other games this year. However, watching the game last night, it looked like they have gone away from this to more of a quick passing attack with Mariota. I wonder why.

Wow....that is exactly what I was describing. Especially the first play shown.

I haven't watched much Oregon football to know what they have done in other games this year. However, watching the game last night, it looked like they have gone away from this to more of a quick passing attack with Mariota. I wonder why.

Differences in head coaching I would guess. They have 4 injuries on the offensive line and that could be a big reason why they haven't been running the ball well.

Helfrich's offense is much more dull compared to Chip's