De'Mornay Pierson-El

De’Mornay Pierson-El never wants to catch a punt flat-footed. Some sharp coach in youth league taught him to judge kicks well and stay just behind the ball as it tumbles down so he’s accelerating when he catches it.

Never flat-footed, though.
“I don’t think you have any momentum at all,” Pierson-El said. “I try to get behind it and kind of roll to get it. That way I’ll have some momentum. If I do get hit, it won’t be as bad as standing flat-footed.”
First thing Pierson-El looks for after he catches it?
“The most dangerous guy,” said the Nebraska freshman who has returned two punts for touchdowns already in 2014 and helped reinvigorate a unit that lost all of its mojo in 2013 after being decent for much of Bo Pelini’s tenure. Yes, decent; the Huskers ranked in the top 30 nationally in yards per punt return in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Right now, Nebraska is one of seven teams to score two touchdowns on punt returns.

OWH

Bye week probably hit just right for him, too. Obviously getting on the field a lot as a punt returner and has performed really well. Seeing the field here and there as a WR. Perhaps with some injuries and an extra week to work on things, he's getting the playbook figured out and has earned some more reps on offense.

• Fire 1

Haha!

Kenny is right, though, about timing. Pierson-El is going to get plenty of chances now, along with Hovey, thanks to injuries. It's absolutely not going to be easy for them and they'll be swimming in it for a while, but maybe this baptism by fire will result in one or both of them picking it up fast.

Tommy's play was a nice design. If you can get a guy that nobody is covering in the endzone, it is that easy. Most plays don't work that way. There's always somebody that is supposed to be covering a receiver.

By the way - when we show that formation again, teams will maybe have to think twice to call man coverage. And maybe that works in our favor.