Coach?

hskerprid

Hypothetical. Maybe this was posted elsewhere already. Lets say Beck lands the job at Kansas and to help his friend Bo keep his job at Nebraska he takes paps with him.... Honestly if we get a good OC and Bo can be hands off on D I think he will work out. Bo can recruit players love him he runs a clean program

What makes you think Bo can make good coordinator choices? Based on past success? Shawn Watson? Tim Beck? John Papuchis? His "star" is Carl Pelini, who wasn't really the coordinator at all.

i really wish i knew why so many people are clamoring for giving bo a chance to bring in new coordinators.

seriously, why not hire someone we have reason to believe will bring in good coordinators? bo has not. we have no reason to believe he will. he was hired to fix the defense, which is setting records. just not the kind a fixed defense should be setting. so why the hell would we want to keep him here? what does he bring to the table? other than being able to fix the special teams, but then it was because he could not make the right coaching hire to do that and had to do it himself.

It's so he has another excuse.

"Yes, that blowout loss to Miami was disappointing, but you have to remember he's working with new coordinators. Gotta give him a couple more years . . ."

Frost's apparent refusal to move laterally is partially (perhaps primarily) due to some hard feelings with Bo from a few years back, right?

Frost currently earns $400,000 per year. Beck earns $700,000. If Bo was no longer in the picture and we offered frost a 75% pay raise, do you honestly believe he turns it down? It's very difficult to imagine him doing so.

Also, Helfrich is 41 years old. If Frost is holding out hope of replacing him, he's got a long wait.

Again... Why do people want Frost??? He essentially runs the SAME offense as Beck does!!! :LOLtartar

if you watch what Oregon does and what Nebraska does and think they are one and the same you are insane, Oregon's offense puts Beck's offense to shame

My bad. You're absolutely correct and all we need is for Scott Frost to swoop in with his coaching pedigree and change TA into Mariota. Say what, one Spring Practice as a timeline? Oh, and while you're getting Moglia to oversee all of this, kindly inform him of who will and will not be part of his staff. Best to start off letting them know who's really in charge.

You don't get it do you? it is not about which offense you run it is about the big picture. You need an intelligent coach with an ability to surround yourself with good solid people and then show leadership to move us forward and away from being a national laughing stock

Nope...er..well, yeah I get it, just didn't want to call it out. Big picture huh? Intelligent coach? Bo has no intelligence? Well maybe not in comparison to the average Forum Coach I guess...

Surrounded by good people? Yep, Beck, Cotton, Brown, and the rest are obviously scum of the earth who shouldn't be trusted as role models for any young man.

National Laughing stock? Ahh.. now we get to the meat. All the other criteria was just potpourri to cover the stink of the real issue for you. Your "Big Picture" isn't all that big. It centers around your inability to deal with your disappointments and that justifies everything else. Graduation rates, running a clean program, having players of character on the team, the eventual ability to look back and say we did things the right way after success, these are all lost in the haze of your peripheral as you obsess on your disappointment that you can't have your championship right now. Life must suck for you. :cry

Nope...er..well, yeah I get it, just didn't want to call it out. Big picture huh? Intelligent coach? Bo has no intelligence? Well maybe not in comparison to the average Forum Coach I guess...

Surrounded by good people? Yep, Beck, Cotton, Brown, and the rest are obviously scum of the earth who shouldn't be trusted as role models for any young man.

National Laughing stock? Ahh.. now we get to the meat. All the other criteria was just potpourri to cover the stink of the real issue for you. Your "Big Picture" isn't all that big. It centers around your inability to deal with your disappointments and that justifies everything else. Graduation rates, running a clean program, having players of character on the team, the eventual ability to look back and say we did things the right way after success, these are all lost in the haze of your peripheral as you obsess on your disappointment that you can't have your championship right now. Life must suck for you. :cry

Bo has intelligence but he is incapable at this point to run an entire program... a few years ago everyone wanted muschamp to be a head coach, he got a good gig at a good program and wasnt able to cut it. But i think we can all agree he is a good defensive coach. If i were Bo and I wanted to save my job I would have been on the phone with him yesterday asking him to come run my D and and give him the reigns... but Bo wont do that. Bo wants his boys.. i think the point of the previous post was to point out that Bo isnt going to set his ego aside and become a CEO.

Surrounding yourself with good people is a good point. No the coaches we have now arent bad people or role models but they arent the best people for each particular job or position. Ellis for example has been removed from previous years responsibilities and he got a raise... how does that make sense. any coach should recognize their inefficiencies and go get the best person to fill that void. Offensive coordinator would be a great start. QB coach would be next or hire a guy to be both.

I like having a "clean" program as much as the next guy, but even Osborne didnt have a clean program all the time, Theft, assult, sexual assult, drug use, paying players etc... was all apart of his team as well. we just didnt hear about it... those things are still going on today... but I for one want some guys in here that are thugs... a good mix of kids that will go out and all out start a war on the field... THATS PART OF FOOTBALL, as it should be. Football is a modern day gladiator fight... go out with some of your boys, and get into a fight.... do you want guys who are smart and graduate or do you want a bad ass on your side who will go down swinging with everything they have and maybe fight a bit dirty?

we are a national laughing stock. and every year that goes by that we have embarrassing losses and no conference title we become less relevant. Nebraska Football is all we have, and we want to be noticed. people naturally want to be noticed in some form or fashion... we want to be in an airport or on vacation sporting our husker gear and be proud of what people say... not laughing... right now nebraska is to the nation what we always think of Iowa or Purdue or any other mediocre team. Thats how they look at us... I for one think thats unaccetable..

a good example would be the Royals. If you are a Royals fan you sit proudly today that your team reached the pinnacle.... but over the last 20 years you have been looked at as a feeder program to the rest of the league.

Because of Callahan Nebraska fans became ok with 9 win seasons against mediocre opponents... well enough is enough already. More and more people are in see it now.. The big picture that if you continue to do what you have always done, you will continue to get the same results.

Nebraska is an 8 or 9 win team every season no matter who is the coach... especially because of non con and big 10 schedules.

Go hire a guy that is going to put together the best staff possible, open up the check book and pay someone to get this program on the right track... dont hire a guy that is going to cut his teeth at nebraska to learn how to be a head coach.

Scenarios I wouldnt mind seeing:

The obvious go pay John Gruden

or bring in Tressel and have Frost be his head coach in waiting for 3 to 5 years. Train him to be the guy.

Contradicting what i just stated above and bring in Kirby smart who has helped a program win 3 national championships and should have a good grasp on how to build a program to be a national contender. If your going to try a coordinator this would be my pick. Take a gamble... if it doesnt work, its not going to be any different or worse that what we have had during Bo's tenure.

The bottom line is any coach that comes in here, may not work to the highest. But at least give your program some hope and show that you are making an effort to get the best product on the field you can. Be competitive and not get embarrassed. If it doesnt work, making a change is ok. For whatever reason as a whole this university has been scared pf making a change... sometimes change is good..

Nebraska needs to start dating again, get that new girlfriend feeling again. If she is a crazy beotch then dump her and move on until you find that girl that is gunna do you right

Bo has intelligence but he is incapable at this point to run an entire program... a few years ago everyone wanted muschamp to be a head coach, he got a good gig at a good program and wasnt able to cut it. But i think we can all agree he is a good defensive coach. If i were Bo and I wanted to save my job I would have been on the phone with him yesterday asking him to come run my D and and give him the reigns... but Bo wont do that. Bo wants his boys.. i think the point of the previous post was to point out that Bo isnt going to set his ego aside and become a CEO.

Surrounding yourself with good people is a good point. No the coaches we have now arent bad people or role models but they arent the best people for each particular job or position. Ellis for example has been removed from previous years responsibilities and he got a raise... how does that make sense. any coach should recognize their inefficiencies and go get the best person to fill that void. Offensive coordinator would be a great start. QB coach would be next or hire a guy to be both.

I like having a "clean" program as much as the next guy, but even Osborne didnt have a clean program all the time, Theft, assult, sexual assult, drug use, paying players etc... was all apart of his team as well. we just didnt hear about it... those things are still going on today... but I for one want some guys in here that are thugs... a good mix of kids that will go out and all out start a war on the field... THATS PART OF FOOTBALL, as it should be. Football is a modern day gladiator fight... go out with some of your boys, and get into a fight.... do you want guys who are smart and graduate or do you want a bad ass on your side who will go down swinging with everything they have and maybe fight a bit dirty?

we are a national laughing stock. and every year that goes by that we have embarrassing losses and no conference title we become less relevant. Nebraska Football is all we have, and we want to be noticed. people naturally want to be noticed in some form or fashion... we want to be in an airport or on vacation sporting our husker gear and be proud of what people say... not laughing... right now nebraska is to the nation what we always think of Iowa or Purdue or any other mediocre team. Thats how they look at us... I for one think thats unaccetable..

a good example would be the Royals. If you are a Royals fan you sit proudly today that your team reached the pinnacle.... but over the last 20 years you have been looked at as a feeder program to the rest of the league.

Because of Callahan Nebraska fans became ok with 9 win seasons against mediocre opponents... well enough is enough already. More and more people are in see it now.. The big picture that if you continue to do what you have always done, you will continue to get the same results.

Nebraska is an 8 or 9 win team every season no matter who is the coach... especially because of non con and big 10 schedules.

Go hire a guy that is going to put together the best staff possible, open up the check book and pay someone to get this program on the right track... dont hire a guy that is going to cut his teeth at nebraska to learn how to be a head coach.

Scenarios I wouldnt mind seeing:

The obvious go pay John Gruden

or bring in Tressel and have Frost be his head coach in waiting for 3 to 5 years. Train him to be the guy.

Contradicting what i just stated above and bring in Kirby smart who has helped a program win 3 national championships and should have a good grasp on how to build a program to be a national contender. If your going to try a coordinator this would be my pick. Take a gamble... if it doesnt work, its not going to be any different or worse that what we have had during Bo's tenure.

The bottom line is any coach that comes in here, may not work to the highest. But at least give your program some hope and show that you are making an effort to get the best product on the field you can. Be competitive and not get embarrassed. If it doesnt work, making a change is ok. For whatever reason as a whole this university has been scared pf making a change... sometimes change is good..

Nebraska needs to start dating again, get that new girlfriend feeling again. If she is a crazy beotch then dump her and move on until you find that girl that is gunna do you right

i agree, the fear we could do worse is bullsh#t, we are disgusted now, so better to always be pissed off? got to do something, right? or make this the standard and STFU!

Since we're just spitballin' here and since we're such risk takers, how about Charlie Weis, but to a long term contract only. He has got to have some success at some point and if not he adds to his retirement fund.

This can't be a serious post, can it?

Charlie is 41-49 lifetime in college and was 6-22 in his nearly two and a half years at Kansas. There would be torches and pitchforks at the stadium if Charlie Weis were hired.

Edit: two and half, not three and a half.

You caught me. Weis is a joke, a very well paid joke, but a joke all the same.

But on a serious note (wink, wink) Lou Holtz and Mark May seem to have all the answers.

Oh wait, they don't coach, do they?

First off, I don't think Bo is going to lose his job. I don't think that UNL has that wherewithal. However, since we're engaging in hypotheticals.......

Recruiting to Nebraska has always been a challenge and always will be into the future. We will always have to do "more with less" than the warm weather schools. We have to find a system that will allow us to compete with those recruit-laden schools. Logic dictates that we'll lose a lot more of our games against those elite schools than we'll win if we emulate their style with lesser athletes. This is why I think Craig Bohl would be the perfect fit at Nebraska. He understands the Plains and would bring a physical style of football that most would appreciate (except some of Gen X and most of Gen Y). Here's why:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/26/6005585/craig-bohl-wyoming-north-dakota-state-football-offense-defense

• Fire 1

"Recruiting" wouldnt be half the issue-or half as important for that matter'if we had a staff that was capable of designing systems around their talents and skillsets. If we had a staff across the board from position coach to position coach that shared the same philosophies.

Think about this. We have an OC, Beck, that is a pass-happy spread guy, coaching dual-threat qb's with the aid of a GA qb coach from the WestCoast offense behind an offensive line obviously built more for power, coached by a power guy.

Looks like a quagmeyer of different ideas to me. no wonder we have issues.

• Fire 1

Honestly if we get a good OC and Bo can be hands off on D I think he will work out. Bo can recruit players love him he runs a clean program

I don't see Bo firing his coordinators because of his fierce loyalty, even if it meant losing his job. Regardless, even if Eichorst or someone came up to Bo and said 'Look, Bo, we need you to retool your entire coaching staff, or at least your coordinators,' why not just get rid of Bo at that point? Seems silly to keep him on but then let the staff go, if we really only think the staff is the problem. Besides, this is Bo's defense and he calls the plays - he's not going to hand over the reigns to someone else, at least, I don't see that happening.

I agree with what I heard Nick Bahe talking about yesterday on his show - there's a combination of young, inexperienced coaching mixed with a young head coach, and there's something off in the formula. Bahe even brought up Joe Ganz, who isn't even 30-years-old and essentially oversees the most important position on the field - quarterbacks. The one position that you need consistent-to-great play out of every week in college football, and it's being coaching by a grad assistant. Joe likely has a bright future but that's not very good.

And I've said it before on this board - Nebraska isn't a proving ground. In many ways, it's a destination job.

I thought after hearing all this talk in the off season about Bo looking inward and changing some things culturally that we were beyond these blowouts. Clearly, that's not the case. They keep happening, and the players keep changing. That's a coaching problem, and it likely goes up to the top. I've never wanted to see Bo get fired, but at some point, Nebraska football has to win big games and steer away from fan apathy. We are not winning big games and we are driving fans to be very apathetic. I've now, for the first time, truly felt it's time to see Bo go.

• Fire 2

Agreed. C N Red. He's worked with QBs since the beginning of his career. Polar opposite of Beck... The more I think about it, the more I'm ticked off Bo had the gall to install an OC who doesn't know the first thing about teaching the mist important position on the team.

He knows how to win. He was the OC at Bama before CSU and those three years (2009-2011) they had one of the most feared offenses (built on rushing, nonetheless, which NU fans would love) in all of football. He's 21-15 at the previously sucktastic CSU since he arrives and has the 13th best passing offense in the nation. Dude just seems really well rounded. I think he can do it all.

Bit of a pipedream, but could you imagine if we hired McElwain and snagged Muschamp as DC? I'd expect no drop off if not improvement from our current staff next year. Even if we found a DC of Muschamp's ilk we could very realistically compete next year.

Oh, and I bet McElwain wouldn't stand idly by while our offensive line sucks all season.