Regular Season is Over - Vote on Pelini's Fate

Landlord

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mistakes are acceptable. Frankly, losing to Minnesota like we did, if wasn't for the Wisconsin loss, well, sometimes games against good teams break that way. That happens.

It's that when we lose, normally, it isn't just a hard fought, tough loss. It is an absolute massacre. 59-24. 70-31. 52-17. 48-21. 35-14. How is that acceptable?

Losses happen. blow outs happen. Hard fought losses happen. I hate losing just as much as everyone. DPE was the goat last week and a hero this week. He don't fumble twice we beat Minnesota. It happens.

We gave up 408 yards to a single player in rushing against Wisconsin. That was a record until Kansas outdid us.

That's who we're on par with when it comes to performing against good teams. Kansas. The freaking Jayhawks.

Mistakes are acceptable. Frankly, losing to Minnesota like we did, if wasn't for the Wisconsin loss, well, sometimes games against good teams break that way. That happens.

It's that when we lose, normally, it isn't just a hard fought, tough loss. It is an absolute massacre. 59-24. 70-31. 52-17. 48-21. 35-14. How is that acceptable?

Losses happen. blow outs happen. Hard fought losses happen. I hate losing just as much as everyone. DPE was the goat last week and a hero this week. He don't fumble twice we beat Minnesota. It happens.

You might be to young to remember, but blowout losses didn't used to happen at Nebraska, neither did getting out coached. These days, both happen every season. You might find these things acceptable, I don't.

In 25 years Tom Osborne's teams finished up the season ranked outside the top 15 in the AP poll exactly one time. That was in 1990 and he finished 24th. After that season he made changes that resulted in a 60-3 run with 3 National Titles.

No Pelini's best finish so far is 14th and in 2008 wasn't even ranked. And that 14th ranking? That was his only final rank above 15th. Osborne had 24 season ranked 15th or above.

We are mediocre at best.

Question is, when those things happen more often than you think they should, do you sit back and do nothing, or do you try and fix the problem? Bo hasn't fixed the problem. Maybe someone else can.

Husker fans...admit this. Through all the BS, through all the disappointment, that was fun. That game was what a rivalry should be. That was how a marquee black Friday game should look. And what else should college football be for us as fans than fun.

Iowa should not be referred to as Nebraska's rival. Not today, not tomorrow, not for another decade.Don't fall for the artificiality of it all. Let it build on its own.

They arent our rival. But they can be e eventually.

Games like today are how rivalries are built. It doesnt have to be black and white they are or they arent. Its all about the building process and today was a block in that build.

McNeese State (if we'd only tackled Ameer, we could have won) and Iowa (if we hadn't kicked to DPE twice, we could have won) could make a similar argument against us. Great, well-coached teams don't let games get into that situation as often as we seem to find ourselves in that situation (at least yearly), and definitely don't have a now-traditional yearly blowout loss to a (maybe) Top 10 team.

Plus, if DPE doesn't fumble twice, we may well have still not beaten Minnesota. Without the first one, we'd have been 1st & 10 from the Minnesota 11 with 21 seconds left in the half - not a guaranteed TD. Without the second one, we'd have received a penalty and had it 4th & 9 from the Minnesota 30 - again not a guaranteed TD.

You might be to young to remember, but blowout losses didn't used to happen at Nebraska, neither did getting out coached. These days, both happen every season. You might find these things acceptable, I don't.

In 25 years Tom Osborne's teams finished up the season ranked outside the top 15 in the AP poll exactly one time. That was in 1990 and he finished 24th. After that season he made changes that resulted in a 60-3 run with 3 National Titles.

No Pelini's best finish so far is 14th and in 2008 wasn't even ranked. And that 14th ranking? That was his only final rank above 15th. Osborne had 24 season ranked 15th or above.

We are mediocre at best.

25 years ago. That's all everyone keeps saying. It's not 25 years ago any more. Everyone loses. nebraska will never be like they were 25 years ago.

We are mediocre at best.

25 years ago. That's all everyone keeps saying. It's not 25 years ago any more. Everyone loses. nebraska will never be like they were 25 years ago.

Not even for 1 year out of 7?

We are mediocre at best.

Alabama seems to have figured it out. They won one conference championship from the 1993 season through Saban's arrival in 2007. That's 14 seasons with not much to show for it.

If what you say is true, more coaches would have the same success that Bo has. If any coach can do it, why are there are there so few schools that consistently get at least 9 wins.

Because you are right now defining success as 9 or more wins per season consecutively for the first 7 years of a tenure. That is your only metric of success right now. Which is the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

No major NCAA violations.

High graduation rates and GPA's for his athletes

All 9 and 10 win seasons (and we were two drops away from being 11-1 this year)

The players love Bo

The other football staff love Bo

Recruits consistently say they love Bo

The only people that don't like Bo are some fans, which I guess includes you now.

And I've never said that the 9 win thing automatically makes him successful, in fact in other threads I've said all of the above.

But you guys pull out the same old tired "He said the goal is to win championships and he hasn't so he's a failure so let's fire him". And that's the only metric you have, but Jesus give the man some time. I'll take 9-10 win seasons and be a few dropped passes from possible playoff appearances than firing our current coach to get.... what? A different coach?

If what you say is true, more coaches would have the same success that Bo has. If any coach can do it, why are there are there so few schools that consistently get at least 9 wins.

Because you are right now defining success as 9 or more wins per season consecutively for the first 7 years of a tenure. That is your only metric of success right now. Which is the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

The players love Bo

The only people that don't like Bo are some fans, which I guess includes you now.

And I've never said that the 9 win thing automatically makes him successful, in fact in other threads I've said all of the above.

But you guys pull out the same old tired "He said the goal is to win championships and he hasn't so he's a failure so let's fire him". And that's the only metric you have, but Jesus give the man some time. I'll take 9-10 win seasons and be a few dropped passes from possible playoff appearances than firing our current coach to get.... what? A different coach?

usually you fire a coach for a different coach.

but beyond that, those accomplishments are prerequisites and i am sure most coaches in the big 10 are successful in those areas.

and if you watched this team, you know they are no where near a playoff caliber team.

He'll be back next year. Minimal changes will be made.

This is such a destination job that the last time we fired a 9 win coach, when we still were Nebraska, we got Billy C.

We're not 2 years removed from a NC game appearance at this time. Fire him and you'll regret it.

f#*k that I'm calling that bluff.

Behaving how you are supposed to is not an accomplishment - it's expected. Even so, plenty of coaches can claim this.

Again, there are a lot more than 5 coaches in NCAA history that have had their players get good grades. It's great but you're reaching and this doesn't make him special.

We were also two plays away from 7-5. It's a credit to Pelini that we haven't slipped up any worse than 4 losses, but with the schedules we have had, 9 wins is practically gift-wrapped.

The players love Bo

Please. Players always love their coach. Zac Taylor wrote an impassioned letter in defense of Bill Callahan.

Again - your coworkers and your players liking you isn't an accomplishment - it's expected.

Don't confuse liking someone with wanting them in their job. I like Bo. I don't want him as the coach anymore.

Either way your use of the word 'some' is funny, since well over double as many people want him gone than don't according to this poll and others lik eit.

But you guys pull out the same old tired "He said the goal is to win championships and he hasn't so he's a failure so let's fire him". And that's the only metric you have, but Jesus give the man some time.

Only metric huh? Yeah.... I've NEVER heard anyone cite embarrassing blowout losses, lack of championship appearances, lack of major bowl appearances, poor record against ranked teams, national embarrassments with his behavior, fighting to barely be ranked in the top 25, telling the fans to f#*k off, hiring his unqualified buddies, taking a lackadaisical approach to recruiting, or sloppy, inconsistent and mentally weak performances as reasons to let him go.

I see what you're saying. Literally the only thing is championships - none of that stuff has ever come up in conversation.

• Fire 5

Callahan only got what, 4 years? I didn't see anybody asking for him to get more time.

Granted, Pelini hasn't had any losing seasons or missed being bowl eligible like Callahan did, but hey, if Pelini can improve with time, why couldn't Callahan?