***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

What do you think as an OSU fan hearing this rumor?

If true, you're going to get a great coach, and a good person. He will win, but you will be frustrated if you're expecting an offensive powerhouse. His teams make few mistakes.

My feelings are, if Nebraska gets Tressel, there's going to be problems (for other teams) I felt the same way when MSU hired D'Antonio (my literal first words when I heard about it were, "Uh oh")

*salivates*

Just remember, Tressel's favorite play is the punt. If he becomes the head coach, you will be frustrated at the lack of offense. But if he gets who he wants for defense, it won't really matter much. (although in this day and age, the playoffs seem to take offense into account, so that could be a detriment for playoffs)

Most Nebraska fans are used to this type of thing. Anyone remember Iso, FB trap, option, punt for the first quarter? that was in our glory days.

In Tressel's case, it's Dave Left (off tackle with the TE or opposite tackle pulling to block) Dave Right, f#*k it go long, punt.

• Fire 1

My board would be a little different than most of what I am seeing. Not that anyone cares, but my board would look like this....

McElwain - I wanted Urban Meyer before he went to FL. I think this guy is THE hot young coach

Fuente - Prob number two in my opinion of young and up and coming. Not sure why he isnt getting more press....

Tressel - guy can coach...but baggage brings him down my list

Frost - we all know the pro/cons on this one

Am I mad if its not one of these....not really. But I cant see a Kill, and I cant see an OC/DC from somewhere else coming in. If its going to be an other teams coordinator...might as well be Frost.

• Fire 1

Good list. I'm not as familiar with the up-and-coming guys at smaller programs. Or anyone really, but here are some of my favorites of the names being floated around, in order...

Tressel - great coach. What Nebraska needs. And vice versa.

Shaw - I think this guy gets it. Will he leave Stanford, though? Such a great place.

Schiano - well connected, respected by Belichick, and his program at Rutgers was solid work

Frost - A lot of gambling. But Frost's star is on the rise and this hire wouldn't be about his superlative offensive coordinator abilities (which I'm not sure are there). It'd be a projection that he will make great HC material. He certainly gets the pressure and the standards at Nebraska and would not allow those to wither.

Mullen - great reputation as a recruiter. Hard to say for me how merited that is, or if it's just SEC bag men at work. His stock is probably peaking right now, and that makes me skeptical as well. Flash in the pan, or bona fide elite?

I think any of them would represent a step forward from Bo.

The hire *has* to move the hedonic thermometer of the fan base. It must absolutely be a major hire. That said there are really only three, maybe four options I see causing that needle to move.

1) Jim Tressel

2) Gary Patterson

3) Jim Harbaugh

4) Jerry Kill

Anyone else is a *yawn* hire for the fan base, methinks.

• Fire 1

The hire *has* to move the hedonic thermometer of the fan base. It must absolutely be a major hire. That said there are really only three, maybe four options I see causing that needle to move.

1) Jim Tressel

2) Gary Patterson

3) Jim Harbaugh

4) Jerry Kill

rich rod?

1) Jim Tressel

2) Gary Patterson

3) Jim Harbaugh

4) Jerry Kill

rich rod?

Kill? Don't get me wrong he's a good coach, not sure he's a "splash hire" though. The others I agree with. Not sure how probable they are at this point, but there really aren't that many realistic splash hires for anyone.

Good list. I'm not as familiar with the up-and-coming guys at smaller programs. Or anyone really, but here are some of my favorites of the names being floated around, in order...

Shaw - I think this guy gets it. Will he leave Stanford, though? Such a great place.

Schiano - well connected, respected by Belichick, and his program at Rutgers was solid work

Frost - A lot of gambling. But Frost's star is on the rise and this hire wouldn't be about his superlative offensive coordinator abilities (which I'm not sure are there). It'd be a projection that he will make great HC material. He certainly gets the pressure and the standards at Nebraska and would not allow those to wither.

Mullen - great reputation as a recruiter. Hard to say for me how merited that is, or if it's just SEC bag men at work. His stock is probably peaking right now, and that makes me skeptical as well. Flash in the pan, or bona fide elite?

Shaw. I would take in a heartbeat. I see no scenario in which he leaves except an NFL gig, and even then I dont know.

I am not opposed to Shiano as much as others are...just not sure either.

I AM opposed to Mullen. I think hes like buying a stock High and selling Low. I dont see upside we would give him at NU that he cant get where he is. Benifit of McElwain and Fuente and maybe even Wells, is that if they can do 'something' at a mid major with limited facilities, money, recruit desirability etc. Imagine what they could do here with all that NU offers. I don't see that same benifit for Mullen...hes in THE power conference with recruits all around him. Maybe not quite the facilities...but they are not playing in a shack either.

I would revise my thoughts on Kill....IF he took Frost as OC and HC in waiting. I know people wonder if Frost would come as an OC which is latteral. But OC/Assistant HC and a big raise to come home might do it. That being said...I really think any HC should get to pick his guys....so that probably wouldnt work out. lol

1) Jim Tressel

2) Gary Patterson

3) Jim Harbaugh

4) Jerry Kill

rich rod?

I don't know. There's a lot of skepticism about his time at Michigan.

I'm glad that some think Tressel may still be the guy. Tressel had a very good DC at Ohio State and he is still there I believe. I wonder if Tressel could talk his old DC into coming to Nebraska

Tressel's first very good DC was Mark Dantonio, don't think MSU wants to give him up. His other DCs were Luke Fickell and Jim Heacock as co-DC (though, I'm pretty sure Heacock was in charge as those defenses were much better than the ones since). Heacock no longer coaches at OSU, not sure what he's doing nowadays.

Forget the coaching in waiting tag. That won't happen. If Frost comes here as an assistant, it will be just that. For crying out loud, we complain about our coaches enough without having that hanging in front of whomever would get the gig. Imagine winning a game or losing a game 52-51. How would that make any coach look in those circumstances? Who would coach in those terms that are worth there weight in gold? First time that would happen, everybody would be calling for the head coaches head already.....Kind of like already happened with Pelini. Callahan would lose games where we scored in the 30's and we all thought what we needed was Bo then because the offensive side had tools to work with now...........

So really, the coach in waiting thing is so clearly wrong...............why keeo going there!!!!

Shaw. I would take in a heartbeat. I see no scenario in which he leaves except an NFL gig, and even then I dont know.

I am not opposed to Shiano as much as others are...just not sure either.

I AM opposed to Mullen. I think hes like buying a stock High and selling Low. I dont see upside we would give him at NU that he cant get where he is. Benifit of McElwain and Fuente and maybe even Wells, is that if they can do 'something' at a mid major with limited facilities, money, recruit desirability etc. Imagine what they could do here with all that NU offers. I don't see that same benifit for Mullen...hes in THE power conference with recruits all around him. Maybe not quite the facilities...but they are not playing in a shack either.

I would revise my thoughts on Kill....IF he took Frost as OC and HC in waiting. I know people wonder if Frost would come as an OC which is latteral. But OC/Assistant HC and a big raise to come home might do it. That being said...I really think any HC should get to pick his guys....so that probably wouldnt work out. lol

yeah, the HC is gonna want HIS guys, for sure. Schiano would be good, but a guy who can attract big time recruits is needed as well.....as always get some beef and build a defense first!

*First post... here it goes...

I am a proud graduate of the Ohio State University and I come in peace.

I've been lingering around this message board on and off during the football season, even more now since the firing of Pelini. I finally decided I'd create an account and post. Hopefully I can bring a little insight to the board here and there as it pertains to certain situations. Unlike most buckeye "fans" I am sure you've run into, I like to consider myself above most. Not in a "I'm better than you" sort of way, more like "I actually attended the university, donate, and attend each and every game I possibly can" sort of way. I also take pride in my personal hygiene.

The real reason I'm here right now is to talk about Jim Tressel. Hopefully my two cents will enlighten some of you...

I really don't think Nebraska lands him. My main reason for this is because of the fact that he is currently serving as the president at Youngstown State. I know this has already been addressed, but I feel it's been overlooked.

Tress has only been on the job since July. For all of his faults, he is very loyal. I cannot imagine he would up and leave after 6 months on a job he has wanted for years. He has also stated publicly that he has no intention of coaching again. I tend to believe him. There has been not so much as a whisper here in Columbus about Tress and the Nebraska position. I feel that if it were a real possibility, talk radio would be exploding with discussions on this topic. Honestly, no one has even brought it up. But with the way the coaching carousel is, maybe that bodes well for the Huskers...

With all of this said, I would personally love to see him get back in, especially at Nebraska. It would go a long way to help with the legitimacy of the conference. There isn't a doubt in my mind that he would return the Huskers to national prominence. His in game management is second to no one. The man is a true mastermind. He would bring consistency to your program that you haven't seen since TO.

Here's to hoping the sweater vest gets back at doing what he was meant to all along; roaming the sidelines of a historic program and competing for national titles. :cheers

• Fire 5

*First post... here it goes...

I am a proud graduate of the Ohio State University and I come in peace.

I've been lingering around this message board on and off during the football season, even more now since the firing of Pelini. I finally decided I'd create an account and post. Hopefully I can bring a little insight to the board here and there as it pertains to certain situations. Unlike most buckeye "fans" I am sure you've run into, I like to consider myself above most. Not in a "I'm better than you" sort of way, more like "I actually attended the university, donate, and attend each and every game I possibly can" sort of way. I also take pride in my personal hygiene.

The real reason I'm here right now is to talk about Jim Tressel. Hopefully my two cents will enlighten some of you...

I really don't think Nebraska lands him. My main reason for this is because of the fact that he is currently serving as the president at Youngstown State. I know this has already been addressed, but I feel it's been overlooked.

Tress has only been on the job since July. For all of his faults, he is very loyal. I cannot imagine he would up and leave after 6 months on a job he has wanted for years. He has also stated publicly that he has no intention of coaching again. I tend to believe him. There has been not so much as a whisper here in Columbus about Tress and the Nebraska position. I feel that if it were a real possibility, talk radio would be exploding with discussions on this topic. Honestly, no one has even brought it up. But with the way the coaching carousel is, maybe that bodes well for the Huskers...

With all of this said, I would personally love to see him get back in, especially at Nebraska. It would go a long way to help with the legitimacy of the conference. There isn't a doubt in my mind that he would return the Huskers to national prominence. His in game management is second to no one. The man is a true mastermind. He would bring consistency to your program that you haven't seen since TO.

Here's to hoping the sweater vest gets back at doing what he was meant to all along; roaming the sidelines of a historic program and competing for national titles. :cheers

welcome aboard! I think most of us somewhere deep down know Tressel likely isn't it. But man would it be the homerun we're looking for. $$$$ talks...and we have boat load of it.