New HC Hiring AAR

I find it interesting that so many are pointing to the fact that OSU beat Wisconsin in 2012 and pointing out that we got blown out in the CCG while ignoring the fact that we also beat Wisconsin earlier in the same season - much closer to when OSU beat them.

Well, it's not that interesting from this perspective...

We've played them a total of 4 times under Bo. We've beaten them once by the same score as OSU, and gotten completely skull dragged the other three times.

There appeared to be a bit of a trend...

And the fact they struggled so bad with those other teams is more of an indictment of the CCG butt whoopin than anything, to me.

9~4 wasn't well received

It wasn't the quantity of wins, it was the quality of wins.

No question. But would this fan base look past a 7-6 season? I think next year he gets a pass, even with a favorable schedule.

But if he doesn't deliver by year 2, things heat up, imo.

Before Bo got fired, some guys at work and I were looking at the 2015 schedule and thought there was a very good possibility that given the way the team played this year, they would likely go 7-5 next season. So in my opinion, if Riley goes 7-5 next year it would not be a huge deal, and if he goes 8-4 or better it is an improvement! I'm hoping he can do MUCH better than that, which is all up-side! Here was our prediction for Bo next season if he were still coaching:

W - BYU

W - South Alabama

L - @ Miami

W - Southern Miss

W - @ Illinois

L - Wisconsin

L - @ Minnesota

W - Northwestern

W - @ Purdue

L - Michigan St

W - @ Rutgers

L - Iowa

We went back and forth on that Iowa prediction but it seems the road team has the edge in that series, so we gave Iowa the win!

You guys shouldn't lose to UW at home....and I'm a Badger fan! You shouldn't lose to Minnesota on the road, they are too one dimensional to beat good teams that get out in front of them. Miami is a toss up at worst on the road, I don't see Nebraska as a dog in that game. Iowa is tough defensively but mostly anemic on offense, plus its at home. MSU is a tough out, but again, it's a home game so I have that as a push. If Nebraska regains ANY defensive swagger, I see that as a favorable schedule. A game here or there (road game like Minnie) could go haywire but I would love that schedule with MSU, BYU, Iowa and UW at home and a bunch of middling teams on the road. I say 8-4 is the floor, 9-3 is most likely and 10-2 would be awesome. The only kicker is the kids are playing in a new system, can they pick it up quickly enough to play athletic and full speed? These kids have spring ball to get the system in place so it really comes down to a small improvement on defense and gradual development of a pass game. In year 2 I'd be downright giddy about this schedule, UW and MSU are the only semi elite teams you face and both are at home.

I find it interesting that so many are pointing to the fact that OSU beat Wisconsin in 2012 and pointing out that we got blown out in the CCG while ignoring the fact that we also beat Wisconsin earlier in the same season - much closer to when OSU beat them.

No matter what time of the year the game was played. They held them to 7 points. We gave up 10x that amount.

I can't wait until people realize this 9 win deal was a smokescreen.

Especially when he does it next year with ease.

Except that a nine-win season isn't likely:

09/05 Brigham Young

09/12 South Alabama

09/19 @ Miami (Fla.)

09/26 Southern Miss

10/03 @Illinois

10/10 Wisconsin

10/17 @Minnesota

10/24 Northwestern

10/31 @Purdue

11/07 Michigan State

11/14 @Rutgers

11/27 Iowa

Games in bold are our most-likely wins.

I feel like people upset with the hiring or the ones that are very skeptical just don't get the kind of intangibles that go with coaching...maybe I'm wrong.

How do you objectively compare the two schools Oregon State and Nebraska and Riley's job coaching a crap program to the best "unranked vs ranked" record in the nation?

It's the same people who hated the Bo firing, that ALREADY settled for mediocre garbage. So why get upset that we may just be average again? Double standard much?

What upset me most, is that there was no clear choice to replace Bo...

Mike Riley was the "clear" choice according to reports........ :hmmph

I feel like people upset with the hiring or the ones that are very skeptical just don't get the kind of intangibles that go with coaching...maybe I'm wrong.

How do you objectively compare the two schools Oregon State and Nebraska and Riley's job coaching a crap program to the best "unranked vs ranked" record in the nation?

It's the same people who hated the Bo firing, that ALREADY settled for mediocre garbage. So why get upset that we may just be average again? Double standard much?

What upset me most, is that there was no clear choice to replace Bo...

Mike Riley was the "clear" choice according to reports........ :hmmph

Wow, I guess I need re-evaluate my definition of "clear choice"...

The reaction to the hiring of Riley was apathetic, even from the College Sports show on Sirius/XM...

Aaron Taylor ‏@outland1997

Gut feeling that Mike Riley will be the Tim Miles for our football program. Congrats coach and welcome to the program.

Tom Lemming ‏@LemmingReport

Only time will tell but my guess is Mike Riley will bring Nebraska back to national prominence.

Damon Benning ‏@damonbenning

Amongst his peers, Mike Riley finished 2nd in an ESPN poll behind Cutcliffe as the most underrated coach in the country.

Tommie Frazier ‏@TouchdownTommie

Good Hire by NU today.

George Schroeder @GeorgeSchroeder ·

Just landed to news of Mike Riley to Nebraska. Truly stunning — but that is a GREAT hire.

Scott Shanle ‏@scottshanle

After hearing from many people who know Mike Riley personally I am optimistic about the future of @Huskers football.

Sean Callahan ‏@Sean_Callahan

Another interesting tidbit about Mike Riley is he opened all practices at Oregon State to media and fans.

Sean Callahan ‏@Sean_Callahan

Also the fact USC courted him in 2011, and Alabama offered him their job in 2002 intrigues me on what drew him to make this move now?

Dan Hoppen ‏@danhoppen

Mike Riley was heavily rumored to replace Pete Carroll at USC in 2010, Dennis Franchione at Alabama in 2002. He must like NU’s prospects.

Mike Farrell ‏@rivalsmike

I may be in the minority here but I like the Riley hire for #Huskers better than the McElwain hire for #Gators. Thoughts?

Zach Hannon ‏@_HannonZach72

I stand behind you @Coach_Riley ! I love Coach Bo and all my coaches, now it's a new era. I'm a husker through and through. #GBR

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer

"@CFBONFOX: NEWS: #Nebraska hires Oregon State's Mike Riley to replace Bo Pelini>>Good for Riley, one of the nicest guys I ever met in NFL

Mark McMillian ‏@MarkMcMillian29

If Mike Riley offered my son or any kid I coach I would send them in a heartbeat this man is all about the kids & families #GBR #Nebraska

Rich Kaipust ‏@RKaipustOWH

I liked this poll back in September because it was a vote of coaching peers -- and Mike Riley scored high on it http://es.pn/1Dc1ACC

Brian Christopherson ‏@HuskerExtraBC

Remember this when viewing Riley's record at OSU. MT @Hlas Oregon State had 28 straight losing football seasons, from '71 thru '98.

Jay Foreman ‏@foreman5655

A few things that will be different:player development and pro off!! That alone I'm cool with! Chips in!#HuskerNation

Greg Sharpe ‏@SharpeGreg

Excited to meet and work with @Coach_Riley can't wait to begin the next chapter of Husker Football. GBR!

Brock Huard ‏@BrockESPN

No one in CFB I'd trust more with my son in his program than new NEB Coach Mike Riley. Judge this hire after you see the staff he assembles

John Bishop ‏@JohnBishop71

#Huskers could double Riley's OSU salary and still be on budget with last year. Look for assistant salary pool to be strong.

B. Reilly ‏@brandonreilly01

Idk why everyone's being so negative, give the guy a chance. I mean he has a solid last name that should count for something. Let's get it!

Jon Nyatawa ‏@JonNyatawa

“He has done more with less at Oregon St than almost any coach I know" -- former NU AD Bill Byrne

Jeremy Crabtree ‏@jeremycrabtree

#Pac12 assistant on Mike Riley: “Our recruiting jobs just got a lot easier. He was the best talent evaluator in the conference by far.”

danny woodhead

‪@danny__woodhead

Follow

Mike Riley was my coach at the hula bowl and thought he was a great guy ‪#realexcitedaboutthehire

10:20 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Jordan Westerkamp ‪@JordanWesty1

Follow

Looking forward to this new experience with ‪@Coach_Riley GBR.

10:37 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Paul Myerberg

‪@PaulMyerberg

Follow

Mike Riley is the most optimistic, pleasant, gracious, accommodating HC in CFB. They'll absolutely love him in Nebraska.

Michael Rose-Ivey ‪@Rose_IveyNB15

Follow

Got a coach finally. Let's get to work. If this is our guy to get us over that hump then I'm all for it! Time to start a new chapter !!

Joel Klatt

‪@joelklatt

Follow

I'm a huge fan of Mike Riley...yes, he is a wonderful person...he is also a GREAT football coach

10:25 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Sam Ponder

‪@sam_ponder

Follow

LOVE that hire for Nebraska. Handful of coaches I'd want my kid to play for/learn from... Mike Riley's top 5 for sure.

9:46 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Doug Gottlieb

‪@GottliebShow

Follow

If you don't like Mike Riley, that is a you problem. Congrats ‪#Nebraska between Riley&Tim Miles 2of the most liked/respected in their sports

Prince Amukamara

‪@PrinceAmukamara

Follow

Welcome to the Husker family Coach Mike Riley! Go Big Red!

Jay Moore ‪@jaymoore44

Follow

Now I'm really liking this hire ‪#Huskers ‪#GBR

10:44 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Kirk Herbstreit

‪@KirkHerbstreit

Follow

If it's done...great hire by ‪@Huskers getting Mike Riley from Oregon State!!

Dennis Dodd

‪@dennisdoddcbs

Follow

MIke Riley was always squeezing blood out of a tomato in Corvallis. More infrastructure at Neb. Love the hire.

9:54 AM - 4 Dec 2014

Mack Brown

‪@ESPN_CoachMack

Follow

Mike Riley is a great hire @ Neb. Super fit for both. Good job Huskers

Rivals.com national recruiting director Mike Farrell tweeted that the hiring is a "home run."

"I don't think Huskers fans realize what a well-respected game coach Riley is and how hard it is to win in Corvallis," Farrell wrote.