Expectations over the next 5 years

In 2 years hire Scott Frost.

And bring in his "throw it all over the yard, PAC 12 basketball offense"???? This is freaking hilarious........ People here bitch about throwing it to much and you want the Frost offense????? Of course it is Frost, so he will do no wrong. LOL!!!!

I'm assuming that since Frost is actually familiar with our program, he would formulate an offense to be successful here. I'd bet that he would call plays to the strengths of his players, something that the current staff lied about doing.

His familiarity with Lincoln is not as big an advantage as everybody seems to think. 1997 was almost 20 years ago.

And bring in his "throw it all over the yard, PAC 12 basketball offense"???? This is freaking hilarious........ People here bitch about throwing it to much and you want the Frost offense????? Of course it is Frost, so he will do no wrong. LOL!!!!
I'm assuming that since Frost is actually familiar with our program, he would formulate an offense to be successful here. I'd bet that he would call plays to the strengths of his players, something that the current staff lied about doing.

You assume a lot, most of it wrong. Coaches run what they know! Frost is going to run his Oregon offense in Florida and should he come here in the distant future, he is not going to run an offense he has NEVER coached. He would bring an offense you claim to despise (Chuckle) Dream on Dream Weaver......

You mean his offense that is based on principles of Dr. Tom's?

I'll take that.

His familiarity with Lincoln is not as big an advantage as everybody seems to think. 1997 was almost 20 years ago.

Unlike the current staff, he has actually been in Lincoln. I realize that the current staff was getting run out of Corvallis and found a safe house in Lincoln, but this is embarrassing. At least Frost has an idea what to expect.

Unlike the current staff, he has actually been in Lincoln. I realize that the current staff was getting run out of Corvallis and found a safe house in Lincoln, but this is embarrassing. At least Frost has an idea what to expect.

Or if you are Mike Riley, a safe hotel.

• Fire 1

You assume a lot, most of it wrong. Coaches run what they know! Frost is going to run his Oregon offense in Florida and should he come here in the distant future, he is not going to run an offense he has NEVER coached. He would bring an offense you claim to despise (Chuckle) Dream on Dream Weaver......

I'll take that.

Now that is a stretch or a crap, how ever you want to frame it. Chip Kelly's offense based in the Osborne principle??? Ha! Ha! WOW!

Frost probably has a better understanding than most coaches out there about Nebraska, the culture and what it took to win here.

But, expectations and what we believe to be true don't always hold up when facing reality. This program has changed significantly from 1997 and if, by chance, Frost ever makes it here, he is going to have to understand that as well.

There was some bad blood between Scott Frost's mom and dad -- both Husker athletes -- and Tom Osborne/UNL. Don't know about Carol, but Larry Frost could be a real a-hole.

While most people would jump if Bill Walsh came to Wood River and invited you to play at Stanford, there was also a sense that Scott Frost was punishing Nebraska for not courting him hard enough. The Frost's did not discourage that perception.

When Scott Frost's name keeps popping up for consideration as Head Coach at Nebraska, some have noted the lack of endorsements from Scott's fellow Husker teammates. Indeed, there have been mumblings that Scott isn't particularly well-loved and respected by them, perhaps for the Lawrence Phillips incident, maybe something else behind the scenes. Maybe it's unfair. I don't know.

But it's entirely possible that Lincoln, Nebraska isn't the lovefest for Scott Frost that we assume it to be.

• Fire 1

I'll take that.

Now that is a stretch or a crap, how ever you want to frame it. Chip Kelly's offense based in the Osborne principle??? Ha! Ha! WOW!

Nebraska 2015: 439 passing plays - 434 running plays

Oregon 2015: 340 passing plays - 570 running plays

Frost has said repeatedly that he wants an offense with a more powerful running game in addition to the up tempo-quick strike passing game... and that's exactly the type of offense that he ran at Oregon this year and that Frost will run in Florida.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to join the chorus in saying that this person going by the name RADAR does not know what they are talking about... and appears to know nothing about football.

• Fire 4

There are some truths laced into this post here but, but Bo Pelini's firing was not only about egos. I believe the majority of Husker fans support Pelini's firing, not only for the plateau which seemed to have been reached, but also because of his very poor sideline behavior and behind the scenes attitude.

The graduation rates and relatively low off-the-field problems were commendable and appreciated by many, but you're ultimately judged on how you win and how you carry yourself. Husker fans are not "dumb" for wanting something else - they just disagree with you.

Lastly, we're always going to have threads like this. We had them during Bo's tenure and we probably would've had them in Solich's had this board existed back then. Expectation discussions are about as common here as tornadoes on the Oklahoma plains. They'll continue to happen until a coach finally wins a conference title here again or better.

Last I checked, it was Ickyhorst (by direction of Prickman) who fired Pelini, not the fans. The fans don't have a say in it, unless the overall majority speak loud enough, like at LSU. For once, the fans were the sane ones in that Prickman-like situation.

I didn't say all Husker fans were dumb. Just some of the more ignorant, or, win at all cost fans were. Those who scream the loudest have no understanding of NU football's unique situation. They seem to think a trained monkey can win nine games a year at NU. What does that say about Riley? Or caLLLLLlahan? Unless NU puts out the money, and even that isn't a guarantee, a Saban or Meyer will not coach at NU. Thus, as CM wisely stated, it will take the right guy to turn NU back into what Devaney and Osborne built. NU had that guy at least once, maybe twice, but egos threw them out.

Even if a coach wins the conference title, it won't stop the criticism of some fans. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to realize how badly Osborne would have been skewered on this site, and all the other NU forums, during his tenure. Especially in the '70's, and late '80s to early '90s.

There was some bad blood between Scott Frost's mom and dad -- both Husker athletes -- and Tom Osborne/UNL. Don't know about Carol, but Larry Frost could be a real a-hole.

While most people would jump if Bill Walsh came to Wood River and invited you to play at Stanford, there was also a sense that Scott Frost was punishing Nebraska for not courting him hard enough. The Frost's did not discourage that perception.

When Scott Frost's name keeps popping up for consideration as Head Coach at Nebraska, some have noted the lack of endorsements from Scott's fellow Husker teammates. Indeed, there have been mumblings that Scott isn't particularly well-loved and respected by them, perhaps for the Lawrence Phillips incident, maybe something else behind the scenes. Maybe it's unfair. I don't know.

But it's entirely possible that Lincoln, Nebraska isn't the lovefest for Scott Frost that we assume it to be.

I agree with this. He was not particularly liked that much when he was playing here. Sure after the 98 Orange Bowl & Natty people looked a little more favorably on him but that early Stanford decision always seemed to dog him. His appeal seems to have grown over the last few years for no real discernible reason other than our situation has been lacking and he has been involved with a fairly successful Oregon program, an offensive system that he would be tarred and feathered for if he tried to run it in Lincoln Nebraska.. Personally I don't see where he is any better of a coach candidate for Nebraska than anybody else. I understand the tendency to want something different than what we have in the hope it would be better, but that is basically the same reasoning that made Riley look viable ...........until he actually started coaching and losing games here.

I'll take that.

Frost has said repeatedly that he wants an offense with a more powerful running game in addition to the up tempo-quick strike passing game... and that's exactly the type of offense that he ran at Oregon this year and that Frost will run in Florida.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to join the chorus in saying that this person going by the name RADAR does not know what they are talking about... and appears to know nothing about football.

Any offense which ranks 5th in rushing yards per game in the COUNTRY, should not be characterized as pass-happy.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/23

• Fire 1

I'll take that.

Hear! Hear!

And, I'll add, RADAR doesn't understand the unique situation of NU football, and what type of coach it takes to win consistently as during the Devaney and Osborne years.

• Fire 2

There are some truths laced into this post here but, but Bo Pelini's firing was not only about egos. I believe the majority of Husker fans support Pelini's firing, not only for the plateau which seemed to have been reached, but also because of his very poor sideline behavior and behind the scenes attitude.

The graduation rates and relatively low off-the-field problems were commendable and appreciated by many, but you're ultimately judged on how you win and how you carry yourself. Husker fans are not "dumb" for wanting something else - they just disagree with you.

Lastly, we're always going to have threads like this. We had them during Bo's tenure and we probably would've had them in Solich's had this board existed back then. Expectation discussions are about as common here as tornadoes on the Oklahoma plains. They'll continue to happen until a coach finally wins a conference title here again or better.

Last I checked, it was Ickyhorst (by direction of Prickman) who fired Pelini, not the fans. The fans don't have a say in it, unless the overall majority speak loud enough, like at LSU. For once, the fans were the sane ones in that Prickman-like situation.

I didn't say all Husker fans were dumb. Just some of the more ignorant, or, win at all cost fans were. Those who scream the loudest have no understanding of NU football's unique situation. They seem to think a trained monkey can win nine games a year at NU. What does that say about Riley? Or caLLLLLlahan? Unless NU puts out the money, and even that isn't a guarantee, a Saban or Meyer will not coach at NU. Thus, as CM wisely stated, it will take the right guy to turn NU back into what Devaney and Osborne built. NU had that guy at least once, maybe twice, but egos threw them out.

Even if a coach wins the conference title, it won't stop the criticism of some fans. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to realize how badly Osborne would have been skewered on this site, and all the other NU forums, during his tenure. Especially in the '70's, and late '80s to early '90s.

Well, I didn't say the fans fired anyone. I just said fans are not dumb for having a different opinion than you, or, supporting a decision you disagree with. I for one supported Bo's release because of his sideline behavior, his behind the scenes attitude, some of the aspects of the culture he was creating and then his lack of success in the trophy case. "Egos" may have played a role, but you're treating it like that was the sole reason he got fired. There are several reasons people wanted to to see Bo gone and many of them had very little if nothing to do with ego.

As for Eichorst and Perlman, one of them is retiring and the other one's success hinges on Riley. So, regardless, either you'll be a happy little Husker fan if Riley succeeds or you'll be a happy little Husker fan when Riley fails and Eichorst is fired.

Looks like a win win for you.