The Mike Riley Presser

knapplc

For a guy who is so well respected around coaching and media circles, he knows NOBODY on the staff?

That struck me as odd, too. You'd think he'd have a pretty full Rolodex by now.

Yeah...I think he has been pretty isolated...but it still something that kind of bugs me a bit...

1. Really well respected but might not know a lot of guys

2. Might be bringing most/all of his old staff

3. Offense is a hodgepodge/multiple

Not the end of the world but just things that kind of made me go "hmmmm"

He's been here a single day folks. Give him some time....he's got plenty of it.

Thats just it...he doesn't have plenty of time. He is starting recruiting today, he said...time is up.

Exactly. He doesn't have plenty of time, he needs to get to work yesterday.

I,agree with you about all of your concerns.

I was expecting him to win the press conference, but I wasn't impressed.

I said last night that this hire seemed very callahanesque, after hearing this press conference and everything about this guy, he seems more Doc Sadler to me.

Wow. Just Wow.

You guys need to let him take care of business. He's got 40 more years experience than you and he knows what he's doing.

He'll get his shot, but there is work to be done, little time to do it.

And again...there is my point. I agree 100%

No...I want him to already know who he wants on his staff and I suppose he might but he is just not saying. But trying to recruit and re-recruit kids when you can't tell them who their OC/DC and position coach will be has got to be very difficult.

I guess what I am saying is that from the fact that he has been at OSU for so long he might not have lots of "connections" and in doing so its hard for him to just text other coaches and offer them a spot...which either drags things out or means he is bringing most of his staff.

Look man, you have no idea. He's been coaching for over 40 years and you think he doesn't know any coaches or doesn't recruit with connections? Please dude, just stop. He has more than enough connections I'm absolutely sure. He said he had players from Texas, California, and Iowa...that's a wide swath of recruiting for Oregon.

Step back away from thinking he's some country bumpkin who doesn't know anyone outside of Mayberry.

Tell you what...lets see how he fill out his staff...deal? Is that fair?

There is no doubt he knows who he wants. He may not get them all due to contracts or other job offers but he had a couple of hours on a flight to start thinking about it.

These are just my raw emotions. Please, don't flame.

I feel like Eichorst just hired a guy that is un-fireable due to his niceness. Like, he's fire-proof.

This feels like an admission that domination on the field is a thing of the past, and the only thing left to cling to is some kind of ethereal spirit of Tom Osborne's "niceness." It was like Riley forced himself to say "...and win championships, too" in the presser.

For the record, Mike - The booster illuminati will eat you alive, one way or the other. <---Those are not MY feelings towards Mike, but is the reality of the situation if he doesn't win conference titles.

• Fire 1

For a guy who is so well respected around coaching and media circles, he knows NOBODY on the staff?

Yeah...I think he has been pretty isolated...but it still something that kind of bugs me a bit...

Thats just it...he doesn't have plenty of time. He is starting recruiting today, he said...time is up.

I said last night that this hire seemed very callahanesque, after hearing this press conference and everything about this guy, he seems more Doc Sadler to me.

Given the negativity you have had over this hire in general, your comments are not surprising.

It's funny that our previous staff got killed for having a Hodge podge offense with no identity, yet this guy gets a pass.

If he brings the majority of his staff from OSU, if his record is any indication of their ability, then we shouldn't expect much better than what we've had the past 15 years.

I think that those are real concerns.

• Fire 3

These are just my raw emotions. Please, don't flame.

I feel like Eichorst just hired a guy that is un-fireable due to his niceness. Like, he's fire-proof.

This feels like an admission that domination on the field is a thing of the past, and the only thing left to cling to is some kind of ethereal spirit of Tom Osborne's "niceness." It was like Riley forced himself to say "...and win championships, too" in the presser.

For the record, Mike - The booster illuminati will eat you alive, one way or the other. <---Those are not MY feelings towards Mike, but is the reality of the situation if he doesn't win conference titles.

I think he is stepping into a pretty difficult situation. We fired a guy who won 9+ games each year and had people on both sides of the issue. The Callahan/Pelini transition went much easier because almost everyone was done with BC. This transition will be a little tougher because there were still strong supporters of Bo....perception.

The hire was nothing anyone thought so of course people are going to be nervous about this hire.

The more I keep reading and hearing about this cat, I am pretty excited. I have to disagree with you that he will be eaten alive by the illuminati. The players will back this dude and he will bring in some solid coaches....I really hope!

Stay the course my man!!!

• Fire 2

I like the hire in regards to his abilities to evaluate talent and develop players, and his demeanor. I am a little concerned about his age and the pro-style system. Even if he begins winning Big Ten titles and contending for CFP spots, how long will he stay? In 5 years he'll be 67. Will Nebraska be looking for a new coach again 5 to 6 years because he retires? Second, can Nebraska draw pro-style quarterbacks with enough talent to win championships? We've had 4 star QB talent, but they've nearly always been dual-threat quarterbacks. There have been six 5 star, three 4 star, and one 3 star quarterbacks leading the past 10 national championship teams. While star ratings are often vague and wrong, it is evident that national champions have really good quarterbacks leading them. Can Riley draw in pro-style quarterbacks with enough talent?

I have to disagree with you that he will be eaten alive by the illuminati. The players will back this dude and he will bring in some solid coaches....I really hope!

Stay the course my man!!!

I +1'd you, but I have to say that the players having a coach's back means absolutely nothing once the boosters are done with a guy. Bo is quite possibly the best example of this.

Let's not forget anout Jamal turner IF he can stay healthy...kid has always been under utilized

senior - haven't seen any indication he'll try for a medical RS but we'll see

If I remember correctly, Pelini said they were pursuing the Medical RS and Turner didn't participate in Senior Day.

Given the negativity you have had over this hire in general, your comments are not surprising.
It's funny that our previous staff got killed for having a Hodge podge offense with no identity, yet this guy gets a pass.

If he brings the majority of his staff from OSU, if his record is any indication of their ability, then we shouldn't expect much better than what we've had the past 15 years.

I think what he was alluding to is changing the offense season to season to better fit the team; not necessarily having a ridiculous amount of formations and plays that they throw at defenses like a dart at a spinning board, aka, Beckfest.

• Fire 2

"If"......yeah..."If" those things happen it might be a concern...might...we have no idea. I have no idea. You have no idea. Why not focus a bit on some positive "Ifs"? Like..."If he is just the thing this team and University needs..." "If he succeeds in uniting the players, the staff and the athletic department, the fans and the boosters, there is no end to the upside."

Going negative on the "if" slide is easy. "If" I fart and it is solid, then that's a problem. Well, yeah! Some people are "the glass is half empty" and some are "the glass is half full" and a few are "I bet there are chemicals and microbacteria in that water and I'd never drink it if my life depended on it"....

• Fire 1