2014 College Football Playoff

Mavric

My Final Four:

1) Alabama

2) Oregon

3) Florida State

4) Ohio State

I have FSU at 3. They frickin' went unbeaten which has to be worth something. Two of their non-conference games were against Okie State and Florida, pretty good teams to play out of conference. Ohio State made their statement tonight to move into the Final Four. Let's see Saban vs. Meyer and Oregon vs. FSU. I feel bad for the Frog. They should have never jumped to number 3 so now falling out of Final Four will hurt. They actually could have scored more vs. Iowa State but stepped off the gas so not to rub it in. I am not a fan of 8...the teams that always just miss will always have a beef. Going forward, schedule decent to good non-conference games and each conference needs a championship game. I think Big 12 will be left out. Those big wins over OU are not worth much this year.

Perfect.

Yep, nailed it. I even forgot FSU played Notre Dame out of conference also. So they had some good non conference wins and deserved the #3.

Of course, for those of us who've claimed eight teams is the right number

Fotolia-Glasses-Filling_28539972_SubscriYeah, let's make it 8 games so the entire season can be watered down. What good is a season if 2 losses virtually qualifies you for the playoffs?

Agreed. This is why I argued against a playoff at all. It's just preference. Nothing will ever be 100% all the time fair.

Can you imagine fans traveling traveling to a conference championship and THREE playoff games?

Those conference champ games will mean nothing and it will turn into the NCAA tournament games where no one shows up to anything that isn't within easy driving distance.

That's a great point. In the NFL it's not an issue because they just have the games at the teams' stadiums. If the ncaa were to expand the playoff, I imagine that's what they would have to do. The first round would be played at the highest ranked team's stadium.

Ohio State made it.

I'm against an 8 team playoff. If we'd had an 8 team playoff this year, not all of those conference games would have mattered. Alabama and Oregon probably could have lost and still been in the playoff. I don't like that.

I agree. It should only be 4. I don't look at it as a tournament. Instead, I view it as a way to eliminate chaos between who plays for the championship if you have 3 deserving teams. I think the case for the 4th team getting the shot to play for championship won't always be valid. In other words, with the previous model, Alabama vs FSU for the CG. But some would have a valid argument that Oregon deserved to play in the CG instead of FSU. Now it is clear these 3 teams all have a shot. With good debate for a 4th team.

Making it 6 or 8 is silly. The Cinderella underdogs are given a chance during the season. It's not a tourney for a chance to make it and be one and done. Which probably happens 9/10 times.

Well, I'm glad that's over. This regular season was pretty much ruined by this newfangled playoff thingy. Basically meaningless. Surprised anyone was even paying attention.

Anyway, on to the Playoff. Alabama and Oregon are locks. I can't imagine Florida State being left out although they continue to struggle while two teams behind them looked great and a third was very good.

I wonder if TCU/Baylor will cancel each other out and tOSU sneaks in. How do you reconcile TCU being ranked ahead for the last several weeks but Baylor being the Big XII Champion - regardless of the Big XII ridiculous attempt to buy their way into the playoff.

WHY is it meaningless? Did people get in for losing all of their games? Did any non-champions get in? Did a 4-8 team get in?

No kidding. Ruined? The field 4-team field has a combined three losses. I hate that the field is just 4 teams, but it's way better than what we've had for quite a while now. Far too many times we've had to see several one-loss teams snubbed from the title game when there was almost nothing to separate them from the the one-loss teams that did make the title game.

• Fire 1