Recruiting LBs to run a 3-4

We have the DL but not the LB's... I hope we stick 4-3 for now... Too many good DL's

Disagree. Bo's defense was wait and react. I think Banker's defense is react, which should play to the strengths of our LBs.

Um.. what are you disagreeing about?

We CLEARLY didn't have enough LB's last year and we lose two, possibly three if C. Lee leaves? I'm not saying the LB we have suck, I'm saying we don't have ENOUGH of them... Whereas we have VV, Collins, Williams, Maurice, Newell, McMullen and possibly Moss & Gregory with hopefully Jones and the Davis Twins coming in.

Clearly stronger at DL, why would we take more of them off the field?

Agreed (and don't forget RFr Sedrick King at DE). Our LBs for next year look like Santos (Sr), Bando (Jr), Rose (Jr), Love (RSo), M Newby (RSo), Walton (RSo), and Ferguson (Fr) (plus ~6 walk-ons). That's not enough for even two-deep, and then you have the issue of trusting Walton and Ferguson (who are not even at the university yet). Of course, one possibility would be to move or rotate some of the more athletic DE to OLB, i.e., Gregory, King, and Jones.
Would Walton be a sophomore since he never came to school?

I am not 100% sure. He is listed on the official roster for this year, so my guess is yes.

But wouldn't it make him a RS freshman?

RS Fr, maybe. The reason I listed him as So in my comment was because on the official roster, he is listed as a Fr, not RS Fr (while other players are listed as RS Fr). If he didn't RS this year, I would be surprised, but I am just going off of the roster.

We have the DL but not the LB's... I hope we stick 4-3 for now... Too many good DL's

Disagree. Bo's defense was wait and react. I think Banker's defense is react, which should play to the strengths of our LBs.

We CLEARLY didn't have enough LB's last year and we lose two, possibly three if C. Lee leaves? I'm not saying the LB we have suck, I'm saying we don't have ENOUGH of them... Whereas we have VV, Collins, Williams, Maurice, Newell, McMullen and possibly Moss & Gregory with hopefully Jones and the Davis Twins coming in.

Agreed (and don't forget RFr Sedrick King at DE). Our LBs for next year look like Santos (Sr), Bando (Jr), Rose (Jr), Love (RSo), M Newby (RSo), Walton (RSo), and Ferguson (Fr) (plus ~6 walk-ons). That's not enough for even two-deep, and then you have the issue of trusting Walton and Ferguson (who are not even at the university yet). Of course, one possibility would be to move or rotate some of the more athletic DE to OLB, i.e., Gregory, King, and Jones.

Love can be taken off that list. His transfer to Kentucky has been made official.

I am not 100% sure. He is listed on the official roster for this year, so my guess is yes.

RS Fr, maybe. The reason I listed him as So in my comment was because on the official roster, he is listed as a Fr, not RS Fr (while other players are listed as RS Fr). If he didn't RS this year, I would be surprised, but I am just going off of the roster.

So he was a freshman this year, right? So if he didn't play at all, this would have been his RS year. Which next year he could start playing as a RS freshman. Not a RS Sophomore. Or am I off on what class he was in?

So he was a freshman this year, right? So if he didn't play at all, this would have been his RS year. Which next year he could start playing as a RS freshman. Not a RS Sophomore. Or am I off on what class he was in?
Yep.

He didn't attend school fulltime all year. He will count to this year's class if I'm not mistaken as in a true freshman

^^^this. His clock shouldn't start until he is enrolled and begins taking classes. Once your clock starts u have 10 semesters to complete 4 years of eligibility. Unless u apply for a hardship. He would not lose a year of eligibility for this year. I

Yep.

I'm still with St.Paul here. Walton was a 2014 class recruit, so he would have been a freshman in 2014 which he wasn't here, so his 2014 year should be his RS year. He should return/come in 2015 as a RSFR. Where am I off?

Yep.

I'm still with St.Paul here. Walton was a 2014 class recruit, so he would have been a freshman in 2014 which he wasn't here, so his 2014 year should be his RS year. He should return/come in 2015 as a RSFR. Where am I off?
He'd essentially be a gray shirt, would he not.

Your athletic clock does not start until u begin classes full time at a university. He reported for summer workouts and went home bc of personal reasons. Therefore his clock shouldn't have started yet. It would be like c jax and heard. They sat out a year to get eligible. Different circumstances but same situation right?

Your athletic clock does not start until u begin classes full time at a university. He reported for summer workouts and went home bc of personal reasons. Therefore his clock shouldn't have started yet. It would be like c jax and heard. They sat out a year to get eligible. Different circumstances but same situation right?

I think this is correct.

One thing I think we need to remember is that in a switch from 4-3 to 3-4 guys like Gregory, moss, maybe McMullen, gangwish, Reuben jones, akinmolidun if he goes to defense, and I'm sure a few more would become OLB. They all fit the mold of a person like Tamba Hali in KC. Obviously moss and McMullen are a little bigger so they would most likely stay with their hands in the dirt, but the rest have ideal size and athleticism to play as a 3-4 OLB.

One thing I think we need to remember is that in a switch from 4-3 to 3-4 guys like Gregory, moss, maybe McMullen, gangwish, Reuben jones, akinmolidun if he goes to defense, and I'm sure a few more would become OLB. They all fit the mold of a person like Tamba Hali in KC. Obviously moss and McMullen are a little bigger so they would most likely stay with their hands in the dirt, but the rest have ideal size and athleticism to play as a 3-4 OLB.

Gregory and Jones definitely and maybe Moss. Not sure Gangwish or McMullen would do as well. Freedom would definitely be a DE in a 3-4.