OWH: High school coaches hoping in-state offers will increase with Mike Riley

zoogs

I disagree that the NU coaches need to work with the HS coaches to develop the kids. The NU coaches have enough on their plate to worry about what the high school teams are doing in the state. Also, the high school coaches are going to run things the way they see fit.

The reason most teams in high school ran "the same offense" as Nebraska, is because that was the thought of the day. That was 20 years ago. Today, high school coaches now think that running a spread offense, where they can control the play calling from the sidelines is the easiest thing to do. The high school coaches are trying to win games and develop kids. It's not their job to send kids off to play at Nebraska.

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm not saying they need to be at their practices...etc. But, coaches camps, clinics, teaching podcasts...etc. don't take that much time and it develops relationships that can foster future talent to the team.

Another thing that wouldn't take much time is if the staff would explain to the NSAA how important spring ball would be to developing that talent. How about NSAA sponsoring 7 on 7 leagues in the summer? These are all things the staff can help develop for the state and in turn, help feed talent to the program.

How about the University program holding a 7 on 7 tournament for Nebraska HS teams in maybe July? Work on this through the NSAA.

They have 7 on 7 leagues/camps...Not at NU for some reason (or, not that I know of) but at UNK

There is no spring ball but most teams are working year round, most, not all.

I think a 7 on 7 tourney at UNL would be very cool...that is a good idea.

I don't like the idea of working with NU coaches, for the reasons that ColoHusker said...the NU coaches don't have the time and most high school coaches don't want it done that way. They like getting some drills and practice ideas but that is about it.

That makes no sense to me. You have the best coaching staff in the state and you don't want them at least trying to teach the HS coaches how to properly coach these kids.

No wonder we don't develop football talent in this state.

NU puts on a multi day coaches clinic for High School coaches every year. They do a very nice job with it.

NU staff regularly speak at several clinics in both Lincoln and Omaha not put on by NU

At those clinics Ive been told by staff, "Here is my card, if you want to stop by practice anytime just let me know. Anything I can help you with, give me a call" Not empty promises, phone calls returned the same day

You just have to be inclined and motivated to take that step. Some are, some aren't, like anything else

In todays internet world, it isn't like the old days. There are 1,000s of clinics, books, DVDs available and even on-line clinics you can attend. Any HS coach that doesn't know his stuff, it's on him.

• Fire 2

The vast majority of high school kids don't have what it takes to play at a school like Nebraska.

I'll go you one better: The vast majority of high school kids don't have what it takes to play college ball at ANY level. That includes the mythical "5-star Stud" that sends a tingle up some fans' legs. They are just raw material. One can't coach size or speed. However, strength, stamina, technique, RULES*, and most everything else that makes a good high school football player into a good college player is developed by the player himself and the staff. My theory is that 4.3 speed in the 40 is only good if the guy is running in the right direction.

*What do we do with a blocked field goal if we pick it up behind the line of scrimmage? What happens when a member of the receiving team bats the ball out of the end zone?...just two examples where players aren't properly coached on the rules or situations. The worst example I can think of was an interception against Texas Tech, when all the defensive player had to do was fall down and Nebraska wins. Maybe that is more "situational awareness", but it can be coached.

I think it is a little unfair to Bo on this. He never really understood recruiting, but was learning in the end I think. But kids that have the ability to play, should never leave the state. Too far between to miss them. Hopefully Coach Riley will find those kids and make it a desired location over others.It does sound as if the bond between the high schools and the program were not as strong as they could have been, and it sounds like the coaches are looking to the new regime with open arms.A lot of things were not done as good as they could have been I am sure, but giving Bo credit, he had a lot to learn, and the pressure was on instantly. Fair is fair. I can see the logic, much easier to find kids in California and Texas than looking under rocks in Nebraska. But those kids build the program, the heart determination and knew that the fans loved them. We need those kids on the team, as they will work harder than anyone to prove a mistake was not made.

No.

You don't have to find these kids. There is no searching under rocks.

The pool is smaller than most states, sure. It's easier to recruit the best players. Their coaches send tapes to Nebraska first. These kids want to come here. They should be on our radar because they're in our own backyard.

Nobody is talking about All-Americans. The best players in this state should get a look. Period.

What happens when the best NE high schools have to offer is D-II talent? Do we still have to give them a look?

They should only be recruited if they have the appropriate abilities and skill levels. The vast majority of high school kids don't have what it takes to play at a school like Nebraska.

I'm not sure how you think a Nebraska coach would determine if the player has the "appropriate abilities and skill levels"? Usually you have to "give them a look" to determine that. I'm just quoting your words.......

So how else would you do it?

See, when a Nebraska HS school coach thinks they have someone talented enough to play at the next level, they can reach out to a coach or recruiting coordinator at Nebraska, or maybe send in a tape. It's not like these HS coaches are sending in tapes of every kid on their roster and saying "here, have a look and see if there's anyone you like".

When Nebraska coaches at least maintain relationships with local coaches, it makes it easier to understand what Nebraska coaches may need or be looking for.

As I've already said and agreed with others, the pool is obviously smaller so it's not like these coaches are being asked to revirew hundreds of tapes. It's fairly obvious when a standout player is on a local Nebraska HS team. Sometimes it's not, but usually. How would you know if you didn't at least give them a look. There's people who are paid to do this.

The best players in this state deserve to get a look in my opinion. I don't think anyone has said you just offer lesser talented kids just because they are from Nebraska.

What happens when the best players in the state aren't good enough? Do they still deserve a look?

I'm sure even in Nebraska, that high school coaches and kids send their tapes to the NU coaching staff.

Can coaches give a player a look simply by watching a highlight tape? I think they can. I don't think it's required to show up to practice or to a game to give a player an initial look. If our coaches can't make an initial determination on appropriate skill levels and abilities then maybe they should go elsewhere.

Do I think the NU coaching staff should make an effort to recruit appropriate in-state talent? Of course I do. Just because NDSU has a bunch of Nebraska kids doesn't mean those kids were deserving of scholarships at NU.

A little off path here, but today on College play book, the statement was made that every coach at Boise State visited every high school in the state, developing relationships with the coaching staffs. Not recruiting duties per say. I found it hard to believe that every coach went, but every school visted by the staff. They think instate talent in Idaho is important I guess.

I can see Coach Riley opening the door and trying anything. I think that is what they are hoping for. Positive relationships.

12 years of recruiting a small rural area south of Kansas City, Missouri. Where there quite a few from the area KIA in Viet Nam.

I recruited heavily, kids I knew would never join the Marine Corps, super star football player, Class president, academic scholarship kids. Made appointments with them, talked to them, made a liaison with them. Got a couple of them over the years, but normally they turned into sales people for me. They sold their friends on talking with me. I was quite successful at it and it was solely because of relationships I developed with teachers, football coaches, and the star athletes and solid citizens. Networking in a way, before it was thought of. That is what you get with Coach Riley. He works every angle, no one is too important or not important enough for his time I have heard

I think we will see a more open door, not saying we will get or take more Nebraska kids, but they will know what they need to do to make the team I think.

Bright and happy days ahead I would bet.

There was a story from Oregon about how a HS coach was wanting to implement some of the spread game the Beavers had. This was when Jacquizz Rodgers was doing his thing. He called up Coach Riley and asked about it. Riley said, "Come on over" and they ended up going over schemes and football for 5 hours.

This isn't about making a big effort to lock down the state. Actually, in Nebraska, there is no competition as far as locking down the state goes. It's just about maintaining good relationships with the coaches who are local.

• 4 weeks later...

I would think you want the local high school coaches guiding kids to Nebraska, even though they may not have the qualification to get here. We have missed on quite a few Nebraska kids playing in the NFL.

The closer the relationship with high school coaches the better the chance the ones that belong here, will get here. I don't want a blanket number, but if we are going to take a chance on a kid to fill the roster, I would prefer it be the kid from Nebraska than the one from Mississippi.

Coach Riley is used to being the little guy, beat up by the big boys, he may not be a beast yet, but he knows what it takes to get the best you can get, how to work the system.

I think our high schools will be much happier with the routine he develops with them, than the past.

But actions speak louder than words, no one knows now, only time will tell.

I am sure the doors will be far more open than in the past 11 years.

Such an overblown issue, imo. You get the best players, it does not matter what imaginary lines they happen to live between.

To top it off, this program is trying to go from good to great. Not abysmal to bad. You think the high school recruits in Nebraska will take us from good to great? If so, you need to attend one high school football game in Nebraska.

Well said!

As the NCAA recruiting dead period lifted Thursday and Nebraska staffers spread out around the country, Husker head coach Mike Riley made the short but important drive up Interstate 80 to Omaha.

And Riley said later Thursday night that he came with a purpose.
“Our goal for the future will be to own this state — and obviously that means Omaha,” Riley said at the Outland Trophy banquet. “I made my first visit to high schools today. Doing a couple home visits. This is the start for us. We’re just getting going. But that’s our intention.”
That kind of devotion would likely go over fine with Nebraska high school football coaches, several of whom told The World-Herald last month that they looked forward to a potential heavier Husker emphasis on in-state recruiting.
“One thing, he told me, was that their No. 1 priority was the state of Nebraska,” Omaha Central coach Jay Ball said. “And on the first day available, being back here in Omaha, that says a lot.”

OWH

Riley indicating that he is going to hire a support staffer who's sole job is to follow Nebraska kids. I would hope that would include getting out to schools (Followed by Riley and other coaches) and just saying hello.

Hopefully that would include schools west of Lincoln.

Everyone in Lincoln/Omaha knows there's nothing west of there!!! lol

• Fire 1

Riley indicating that he is going to hire a support staffer who's sole job is to follow Nebraska kids. I would hope that would include getting out to schools (Followed by Riley and other coaches) and just saying hello.

Hopefully that would include schools west of Lincoln.

Everyone in Lincoln/Omaha knows there's nothing west of there!!! lol

Yeah, I know that.