Tim Beck's comments

Sker4Ever

This whole "it's so tough to win here" has gotten so pervasive as to be a poison. You think not being Florida ever stops or even crosses the minds of the team up at Minnesota or Northwestern?

Or Oregon State?

No...but those teams also don't win crap.

Hmmm MN and NW beat us with regularity.

so teams with built in disadvantages were able to beat a team....with built in disadvantages. kinda proves the point right? (not that i agree w/ it)

u guys need to argue k-state over texas, or something like that...

Nebraska's offense this year averaged 446 yards and 37.4 points a game.

In Tom Osborne's 7th season at Nebraska they averaged 445 yards and 31.7 points a game.

Fun fact: that 1979 Nebraska defense gave up 225 yards and 10.9 points a game.

The 2014 Nebraska defense gave up 372 yards and 24.8 points a game.

If you really want to get back to Nebraska football, you'll realize that Tim Beck wasn't the problem.

I agree the defense put the offense in a lot of bad situations. However, this went both ways. If one side was doing their job, the other was not. Just look at the first quarter of the Wisconsin game this year as an example. The defense was playing lights out, the offense on the other hand probably couldn't gain yards if there was only 8 defenders on the field. There were not many times in the Pelini era where one side didn't effect the other.

• Fire 1

If you really want to get back to Nebraska football, you'll realize that Tim Beck wasn't the problem.

Those are fighting words with many on HB.

I know.

I watch games where the entire team looks unfocused and undisiplined and wonder why Bo Pelini can't get his players' heads in the game. I watch the defense implode in a now familiar way and wonder why Papuchis fails to make any adjustments. I watch an offensive line that doesn't appear to be physically up to Nebraska standards.

Then I come on HuskerBoard and find out it's all Tim Beck's fault.

Always seemed oddly misplaced to me.

• Fire 1

NW is 1-3 against us since joining the B1G

MN is 2-2

Minnesota has beaten us pretty regularly.

And although they haven't "won crap" they have beaten us twice.

NW beat Wisconsin, which may not seem like much, but it's something I know every last one of us wishes we would have done this year.

One thing I envy about Minnesota is just how well flippin' coached and disciplined they are. They didn't beat us twice with more talent. Far from it. They beat us twice due to not beating themselves (zero turnovers total in both games).

I have to admit that right now, I am crazy annoyed with Beck right now. He could say "I am a huge fan of chocolate ice cream" and I would totally put a negative spin on it. Something like "pfft, what a pr*ck, he probably doesn't like waffle cones though, idiot..." With that being said, there are just too many excuses. Recruiting? Come on. I get it, we may not be able to get the talent and you don't know, but aren't you coaches able to evaluate their skills and the skillsets? Wouldn't you recruit players that fit the skillsets you need/want for whatever system you want?

And what skillset is he missing? "Man I wish we had more talent in:"

RBs? We had Ameer Abdullah. If he thinks we recruited that position incorrectly, wtf? Rex?

QBs? Listen, I get it. You guys don't like Tommy, but he's way better than most college QB's out there, and one of the most productive. I honestly think Tommy was more a victim of the Becks system than Beck was a victim of Tommy.

WRs? Bell? DPE? Westerkamp? Are there issues with them? It has been a while since I have seen such a solid line up at this position.

TEs? I still think it's a joke how underutilized Kyler Reed was. With his speed, he was a match up nightmare. But we never knew and never would have guessed that. Cethan Carter is crazy underutilized. I know both of these guys had some injuries, but we never heard from them when they were healthy. To me, they are both matchup nightmares.

Line? This may be something. But I truly believe the issues with this goes beyond their ability to block, because sometimes they just plain didn't block defenders.

Also, man, blaming the kids? "You don't know what they're going to be like until they get here..." Who the hell disappointed Beck enough for him to saw that? Which player is allowing him to make these excuses?

I watch games where the entire team looks unfocused and undisiplined and wonder why Bo Pelini can't get his players' heads in the game. I watch the defense implode in a now familiar way and wonder why Papuchis fails to make any adjustments. I watch an offensive line that doesn't appear to be physically up to Nebraska standards.

So you guys are on a tangent about people bitching about Beck...in a Tim Beck thread? Bo Pelini has plenty of threads, Cotton/Garrison their fair share, and the defense just as many.

• Fire 1

NW is 1-3 against us since joining the B1G

MN is 2-2

Minnesota has beaten us pretty regularly.

And although they haven't "won crap" they have beaten us twice.

So which is it? Beaten us regularly or 2 times out of 4 years? I don't see how it can be both.

Nothing surprising here. Just seems like another example of the previous regime making excuses and not owning their shortcomings.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/husker-offensive-coordinator-tim-beck-talks-philosophy-recruiting-weather-and/article_3efaa0a0-8579-11e4-946c-a7cbb9f4dd11.html?mode=jqm

It all made sense to me....hard to recruit to the iceberg league. I see the Bo- haters are still going strong. Probably won't be long before they switch over to Riley.

Those are fighting words with many on HB.

I know.

To add to this discussion, sometimes the best defense is an efficient offense.

Against Wisconsin, we punted the ball 8 times. 6 of those times were 3 and outs.

Another I always think of where the offense contributed was last year against UCLA.

Let's just talk 2nd Half against UCLA since that was where the failure was.

We punted 4 times in the 2nd half. 3 of those times were 3 and outs.

To me, all of those 3 and outs just tell me that we're giving more opportunities to Melvin Gordon. And more opportunities to Brett Hundley.

Input just one 5:00 minute drive for us. Score or not, just 5:00 off the clock. Less time (and therefore touches and yards) for their offense.

Additionally, a more productive offense wouldn't give other teams great field position. UCLA scored 3 times on 57, 53, and 44 yard drives.