Offensive Coordinator and other coaching vacancies

With all the bullsh#t and mental fragileness weve seen from this program, how the hell did we consistently win 9 games? The talent and potential is there for Riley to come in and win the conference right away. I dont understand the doom gloom mondset from the last of the bolievers. Were simple sound coaching and an attitude from 12-0 this god damn year.

I am sorry 12-0 that is total BS with below average O line play, a defense that couldn't defend the run and an inconsistent QB, wasn't gonna let that happen. Get real! Be honest in your assessment
so some simple sound coaching and better attitude wouldntve swayed the mich st abd minny games in our favor that were that close as it was? And a staff and players that could keep their cool (attitude) and makes common sense adjustments (simple coaching) wouldnt be able to hold on against wisconsin instead of crumbling after looking so sharp for a quarter?

Why do i have to re-explain what i say by saying the same thing again? Why cant you just READ what i said, and put some thought to it before responding?

coaching would have helped some , hell you could say that every team "with just a little more coaching we would have won" We have slightly above average talent on the O-line below average lb"s and a secondary that is for the most part is to small to make up for what we lack at line backer. People go on and on about Gregory but I accurately stated that he would not be able to set the edge against a physical offense and I think we all saw how that went. coaching would have helped but 12-0 hell no!

We lost 2 of our 3 games by a combined 8 points. And was literally in position to win each of them. yes, better coaching and better attitude would have us at 12-0 right now. Oline play? Linebacker play? Yeah, improving those falls under the "better coaching and better attitude" categories. If we woulda dropped a safety in the box, penetrated and 1-gapped our DT's (which Collins has showed over and over again he's unblockable when givin the green light) and spilled runs to the edge, using the sideline as an extra defender, and let our linebackers and safieties just pursue instaed of concentrating so hard on technical run fits in a two gap scheme, Gordon would been held in check. We'd a beat wisconsin. And Gregory would have to worry so much about "setting the edge" This is the kind of concept that Banker has used.

So i guess I dont see how you could come to a "hell no 12-0" conclusion. Were that close as it was. Improved Oline and LB play? Yeah, that falls under improved coaching.

That bottom line is, like I stated to begin with, is that the talent and potential is here. If Riley accomplishes a quick buy-in from this team we will be immdiately competitive for a conference championship. This is not a 2-3-4 year rebuilding project. This is a situation that a guy like Riley can come in and simply improve attitude and mindset, toss in a bit of experienced and improved coaching and get us over the hump.

i am sorry I disagree about the talent, I don't get where you can say we have all this elite talent, I watch them and don't see it . If the guy across from you is bigger quicker and stronger he is probably going to win the battle. Our "PHYSICAL" talent is going to be dictated to a degree by our recruiting and classes consistently in the 25-40 range over the long haul is not going to bring in the elite talent one needs to be consistently successful at a high level like championships. I am not saying we don't have some talent , just not Ohio st. talent and all the coaching up in the world would not change the result if played 10times on a neutral field .We would lose 7 times. So with a really weak non con sched and being in the weak ass west where with good coaching and our talent level we can be successful. Just not championship level at least with the current roster.

Our guys dont "look" as talented because they are constantly playing tentative. Again, and coaching AND attitude issue. Nebraska has never had ELITE talent across the board. Sure, we had an elite star here and there, but for the most part it was always a strong minded group of guys, coached up to work at its highest level as a team. We have no more or less talent overall than Nebraska ever has. When all the media types who visit fall camp and spew year after year that only Ohio St can outtalent Nebraska in the Big Ten, that says something. Our guys arent being coached. We see so many teams year in and year out do more with less. Again, coaching/attitude problems.

well we will see. Believe it, if it will make you feel better. I have watched this team for 45 yrs. and overall we are just not as talented as we used to be, especially in the line play, where it all begins, and with that statement of teams with less talent , news flash those teams have either caught up or passed us!

Yeah, and iv'e watched em for 20. And I know football. And it's more than the eye test. Esp for someone like me who knows about the x's and o's and the schemes and the fit. Not sayin you dont, but apparently we have a pretty wide difference of opinions here on the potential of this team. Our guys play slow and tentative. There hasnt been a complete buy-in to Bo's overall defensive philosophy in years. Probably 2010. And that was relatively easy for us to defend. We were playin teams that slung the ball all over the yard. We put a huge emphassis on film study. Understanding opponents tendancies and route trees/concepts, and using our NFL secondary in a matchup scheme, it was pretty stifling. the second we went into the Big ten and all a sudden had to face balanced offenses in the likes of Michigan and Ohio St, and Northwestern who were also utitilizing a lot of the qb run game, it put so much more on the mental plate of our guys. Way too much technical stuff instead of just playing. Too much thinking. Not enough running. And we've seen at times the potential. That's why I'm so sure of this opinion.

Same thing on the offense. Hell, Jake Cotton even came right out and said it. Theyre thinking about too much about this step and that technique. Gawd. How many time this year did we see our oline turnin guys loose on the inside gaps on zone schemes? Again. To much goin on upstairs. Simplify and set the guys loose.

With all the bullsh#t and mental fragileness weve seen from this program, how the hell did we consistently win 9 games? The talent and potential is there for Riley to come in and win the conference right away. I dont understand the doom gloom mondset from the last of the bolievers. Were simple sound coaching and an attitude from 12-0 this god damn year.

I am sorry 12-0 that is total BS with below average O line play, a defense that couldn't defend the run and an inconsistent QB, wasn't gonna let that happen. Get real! Be honest in your assessment
so some simple sound coaching and better attitude wouldntve swayed the mich st abd minny games in our favor that were that close as it was? And a staff and players that could keep their cool (attitude) and makes common sense adjustments (simple coaching) wouldnt be able to hold on against wisconsin instead of crumbling after looking so sharp for a quarter?

Why do i have to re-explain what i say by saying the same thing again? Why cant you just READ what i said, and put some thought to it before responding?

coaching would have helped some , hell you could say that every team "with just a little more coaching we would have won" We have slightly above average talent on the O-line below average lb"s and a secondary that is for the most part is to small to make up for what we lack at line backer. People go on and on about Gregory but I accurately stated that he would not be able to set the edge against a physical offense and I think we all saw how that went. coaching would have helped but 12-0 hell no!

We lost 2 of our 3 games by a combined 8 points. And was literally in position to win each of them. yes, better coaching and better attitude would have us at 12-0 right now. Oline play? Linebacker play? Yeah, improving those falls under the "better coaching and better attitude" categories. If we woulda dropped a safety in the box, penetrated and 1-gapped our DT's (which Collins has showed over and over again he's unblockable when givin the green light) and spilled runs to the edge, using the sideline as an extra defender, and let our linebackers and safieties just pursue instaed of concentrating so hard on technical run fits in a two gap scheme, Gordon would been held in check. We'd a beat wisconsin. And Gregory would have to worry so much about "setting the edge" This is the kind of concept that Banker has used.

So i guess I dont see how you could come to a "hell no 12-0" conclusion. Were that close as it was. Improved Oline and LB play? Yeah, that falls under improved coaching.

That bottom line is, like I stated to begin with, is that the talent and potential is here. If Riley accomplishes a quick buy-in from this team we will be immdiately competitive for a conference championship. This is not a 2-3-4 year rebuilding project. This is a situation that a guy like Riley can come in and simply improve attitude and mindset, toss in a bit of experienced and improved coaching and get us over the hump.

i am sorry I disagree about the talent, I don't get where you can say we have all this elite talent, I watch them and don't see it . If the guy across from you is bigger quicker and stronger he is probably going to win the battle. Our "PHYSICAL" talent is going to be dictated to a degree by our recruiting and classes consistently in the 25-40 range over the long haul is not going to bring in the elite talent one needs to be consistently successful at a high level like championships. I am not saying we don't have some talent , just not Ohio st. talent and all the coaching up in the world would not change the result if played 10times on a neutral field .We would lose 7 times. So with a really weak non con sched and being in the weak ass west where with good coaching and our talent level we can be successful. Just not championship level at least with the current roster.

Our guys dont "look" as talented because they are constantly playing tentative. Again, and coaching AND attitude issue. Nebraska has never had ELITE talent across the board. Sure, we had an elite star here and there, but for the most part it was always a strong minded group of guys, coached up to work at its highest level as a team. We have no more or less talent overall than Nebraska ever has. When all the media types who visit fall camp and spew year after year that only Ohio St can outtalent Nebraska in the Big Ten, that says something. Our guys arent being coached. We see so many teams year in and year out do more with less. Again, coaching/attitude problems.

well we will see. Believe it, if it will make you feel better. I have watched this team for 45 yrs. and overall we are just not as talented as we used to be, especially in the line play, where it all begins, and with that statement of teams with less talent , news flash those teams have either caught up or passed us!

Yeah, and iv'e watched em for 20. And I know football. And it's more than the eye test. Esp for someone like me who knows about the x's and o's and the schemes and the fit. Not sayin you dont, but apparently we have a pretty wide difference of opinions here on the potential of this team. Our guys play slow and tentative. There hasnt been a complete buy-in to Bo's overall defensive philosophy in years. Probably 2010. And that was relatively easy for us to defend. We were playin teams that slung the ball all over the yard. We put a huge emphassis on film study. Understanding opponents tendancies and route trees/concepts, and using our NFL secondary in a matchup scheme, it was pretty stifling. the second we went into the Big ten and all a sudden had to face balanced offenses in the likes of Michigan and Ohio St, and Northwestern who were also utitilizing a lot of the qb run game, it put so much more on the mental plate of our guys. Way too much technical stuff instead of just playing. Too much thinking. Not enough running. And we've seen at times the potential. That's why I'm so sure of this opinion.

Same thing on the offense. Hell, Jake Cotton even came right out and said it. Theyre thinking about too much about this step and that technique. Gawd. How many time this year did we see our oline turnin guys loose on the inside gaps on zone schemes? Again. To much goin on upstairs. Simplify and set the guys loose.

Jay Foreman himself said our guys on D, particularly LBs play tentative and are a step slow because of it. Also said that he observed practices and it was obvious from the drills we ran. I agree with you Count. We have enough talent that we could have won every game this year. I don't think we have the talent to beat OSU though. Good luck to Riley getting over that hump, because it's going to be tough to compete with the athletes that Urban has.

• Fire 2

Well in that 60 + yrs i have been kickin around , I have been involved with the coaching end of this sport , so i know a little. Do you think they are going to just pick up whatever scheme mr employs and then just go out and play fast and loose like an offense that has been together for 4 yrs, better maybe but championship level uhhhhh. You make it sound like every other team in the BIG has the most simplistic schemes and that is the diff. Those things all matter but it stills comes down to beating your opponent at he point of attack when you really get down to it. A good portion is simply God given talent. Having more gives you an advantage, what you do with it matters also. We do have a wide difference of opinion, and i have learned over the years to look at my team realistically,nothin wrong with hope though.

I think a lot of folks are blowing the Ohio St talent gap WAAAAAYYYYY out of proportion based solely on that Big Ten championship game. And we all know now there were some interesting dynamics involved in Wiscy's prep with Anderson chekcin out the oregon st job and such, and obviously not wanting to be there anymore anywway. Remember, Ohio St struggled with a bad Michigan. Struggled with Indiana. But everyones look at that CCG like theyre all a sudden never going to be beatin. Yet it was just a year ago that that same thing was a forgone conclusion, and Sparty emerged as an elite team, with arguable less talent than we have. T

That's why I stand so hard on my thoughts. If Riley can come in, rally that lockerroom together, and show these guys how bad theyve been mis-coached, put them in positions to play fast and succeed, and SHOW that to them, and accomplish a complete buy in on both sides, this team can do things right away. It's not like 2004. We're not trying to "modernize" our offense with the wrong personel. We dont have an obvious lack of talent. The peices are there. The puzzle just needs to be put together. It's not a rebuilding project. Not even close. it's closer to a situation that Malzahn walked into at Auburn than it is to a rebuilding project. 3-9 to National championship game. How? Immediate buy, better coaching, improved attitude. Dun.

And dont confuse my Auburn/Malzahn comments with suggesting a National title run in year 1. Just dont.

I think a lot of folks are blowing the Ohio St talent gap WAAAAAYYYYY out of proportion based solely on that Big Ten championship game. And we all know now there were some interesting dynamics involved in Wiscy's prep with Anderson chekcin out the oregon st job and such, and obviously not wanting to be there anymore anywway. Remember, Ohio St struggled with a bad Michigan. Struggled with Indiana. But everyones look at that CCG like theyre all a sudden never going to be beatin. Yet it was just a year ago that that same thing was a forgone conclusion, and Sparty emerged as an elite team, with arguable less talent than we have.

I'm basing it off of more games than the Big Ten Championship game. They easily handled Sparty too.

Also, basing off of recruiting rankings.

Rivals class rankings

2011 - #11

2012 - #4

2013 - #2

2014 - #3

I'm sorry, but if our team had recruiting rankings like that, we'd all be moist and certain that we're going to win conference titles and be in the playoff for the next few years. We've got good enough athletes to beat anyone in the Big 10, but if we're playing 10 times against OSU with equal coaching, we lose 90% of the time. There's a talent gap Count. Hopefully Riley grabs a few more 4* and 5* recruits than Bo did and the stars align for once.

I agree for seven years the bar was set at 9, if we get pass BYU I see us running the table until we have Wisconsin at home, I'm not conceding the game to Wisconsin. For the most part this board believed coaching was the problem, that has ended with this hire. I expect to see the huskers in the Big 10 championship game winning it maybe to much :koolaid2: at this time

I want you to be right sooooo bad.

I agree for seven years the bar was set at 9, if we get pass BYU I see us running the table until we have Wisconsin at home, I'm not conceding the game to Wisconsin. For the most part this board believed coaching was the problem, that has ended with this hire. I expect to see the huskers in the Big 10 championship game winning it maybe to much :koolaid2: at this time

I want you to be right sooooo bad.

i am just hoping for a good spring game.........

I'd look at IU's RB coach. They've produced some great RB's over there

Probably the most irrelevant coach on the staff. Control the line scrimmage and average talent will perform well. Bofense has been proving that for years. This is also shown in NFL draft and Heisman voting.

I'm not knocking Brown, but I find it funny when people talk about Rex and Ameer and say how the coaching put them there. Tevin Coleman, like Ameer, is special. Had we controlled the line of scrimmage this year, Ameer would have had 2,500 yards.

If we are going to hire anyone that is unproven, go ahead and let it be RB coach.

I'd look at IU's RB coach. They've produced some great RB's over there

Probably the most irrelevant coach on the staff. Control the line scrimmage and average talent will perform well. Bofense has been proving that for years. This is also shown in NFL draft and Heisman voting.

I'm not knocking Brown, but I find it funny when people talk about Rex and Ameer and say how the coaching put them there. Tevin Coleman, like Ameer, is special. Had we controlled the line of scrimmage this year, Ameer would have had 2,500 yards.

If we are going to hire anyone that is unproven, go ahead and let it be RB coach.

Rb is easy to coach but u can't ignore the culture that coach Brown has installed into his players. They are great players, leaders, and men. I would take Brown anyday of the week. We need more Ron Brown's in the world

We need a RB coach that can recruit all the time and more then 1-2 players a year. Brown is a great coach and good with teaching the kids but one thing he lacked was recruiting prowess. This staff needs to consist of every coach willing to go out on the road and recruit.

• Fire 2

We need a RB coach that can recruit all the time and more then 1-2 players a year. Brown is a great coach and good with teaching the kids but one thing he lacked was recruiting prowess. This staff needs to consist of every coach willing to go out on the road and recruit.

So Ron Brown didn't go out on the road and recruit?