Kenny Bell Deserves Better Than Us

Landlord

Honestly...with message boards and social media and smartphones...being a higher profile player in college today would suck at times.

Agree. But the players can choose to not read it or stay off it completely.

Yeah...but I am not sure that is totally realistic.

Google is telling me that Marcus Mariota doesn't have a twitter or instagram account, so it is possible.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2014/11/oregon_ducks_hunt_fake_social.html

Kenny seems like a good kid, for the most part. If I had the chance to offer him some advice, it would be several fold.

1) Grow a thicker skin, bud. If you have NFL aspirations, they will eat you alive if you can't handle some twitter trash.

2) Delete your twitter. There's no need for it. You don't need to build a brand or anything like that. Just play football.

3) If you absolutely can't delete your twitter, follow one simple rule for responding to someone. Wait 24 hours. If you still feel like something HAS to be said 24 hours later, then maybe it does. But don't respond in the heat of the moment.

4) That said, delete your twitter.

He and J Mitch might be the Champions of the whole US vs. The fans mentality that so many of you hate.

Kenny and Josh are in completely different galaxies as far as this is concerned.

Are you sure about that?

Who started retweeting angry fans originally and calling them out? Hint: KB.

Who told recruits that this is what we have to deal with after a poor performance? Hint: KB

This was all publicized on twitter until Kenny got smart and started deleting all the stupid sh#t he had said/done/promoted.

J-Mitch mouths off every once in a while and those rants are probably worse, but KB was the originator and says petty little sh#t way more frequently that it got the team BANNED FROM TWITTER at one point LOL.

KB was the primadonna that encouraged this whole fans vs. us thing and it just took off from there. And KB was seen as a leader, captain, way before J Mitch was.

EDIT - All of that said, Kenny was a heckuva player and WR for us and I'll be grateful for that, just as I was grateful for Taylor Martinez's time here.

• Fire 1

Was this brought about by Damon Benning & others tweeting that it'll be nice to get him out of the locker room? That he will be treated like he treated Taylor when he graduates?

Go on... I missed this discussion.

Can't find the tweets anymore, it appears someone knew the sh#t storm they were creating and deleted them. It may no have been DB, but someone else w/ties to the program, said despite how good of a player is, it will go a long way in changing the culture of the lockerroom for the reasons I mentioned in the post above. And despite him being viewed as a "leader", the contact he will have w/players in the program will be limited because..he isn't the most likeable guy. It is what it is.

And despite him being viewed as a "leader", the contact he will have w/players in the program will be limited because..he isn't the most likeable guy. It is what it is.

Have a family friend with a boy on the team that says he's pretty good when cameras and mics are on.

Doesn't really have anything to do with him as a player. What I rarely see him get credit for is his blocking. He's an animal on the edge.

The NCAA and NFL is littered with primmadonna wide receivers -- most of them bigger and heavier than Kenny Bell -- but you won't see any of them lay out a defender or special teamer like Kenny Bell did on what would otherwise be a routine and unheralded play.

I give him points for that.

The entire sporting world is littered with athletes who really shouldn't be on Twitter, engaging with anonynmous fans who are even worse. We probably can't get that genie back in the bottle.

Kenny had fun. He's in college. It's a game.

I lean to Ameer Abdullah's style myself, but every team needs characters and Kenny Bell was a character. We'll probably look back on him more favorably if we don't continue to pointedly piss on everything that happened in the last seven years. Dismissing Kenny's actual stats is pretty f'ing childish.

Just for the record, Nate Swift actually thrived in Bill Callahan's offense. Quite the opposite of being held back.

Kenny Bell no longer plays for the Huskers. Lets move on.

This is part of the point I'm trying to make.

He's not on the active roster, but he's still a Husker. Just as much as Zac Taylor, Tommie Frazier, Rex Burkhead, Ameer Abdullah, Eric Crouch, Jamal Lord, Vince Ferragamo, Dave Rimington, Ndamukong Suh, Joe Dailey, Nate Swift and every other former Husker are. We talk about former Huskers in here all the time and Kenny is the furthest thing from any kind of black stain that needs to be moved past.

• Fire 2
Kenny can't hold Reggies jock either....

Kenny can't hold Bush's Heisman, you mean...because Reggie Bush no longer has one to hold...and that's the point. Bell has shown more character and morals in his career than Johnny Rogers and Reggie Bush. It's not even debatable.

So let's review:

On the one hand, Kenny Bell got a free education, his degree, a couple of career records, a half hour of highlight film, a great shot at playing in the pros, and will always be a recognizable Husker favorite for the rest of his life...

...and on the other hand, Bell will have to live with the fact that you don't like him...that is if he ever finds out that you exist and have that opinion.

I think Bell can live with the trade off. I hope you learn to live with it as well.

• Fire 1