Danny Langsdorf New Offensive Coordinator

Mavric

The reason for the departure of the 42-year-old Langsdorf is unclear, especially since he's returning to essentially the same job he left a year ago, just at a different place.

My guess is he doesnt like working for that meany Tom Coughlin. We will likely pay him more than what he is making now and it will be a lower stress environment than NY. Easy decision. I just hope he isnt here to collect a pay check.

Uh....

"When I was sitting on the bus after the Jacksonville game, I wanted to fire everybody," John Mara said.

That was the Giants' seventh loss in a row, and the worst of the bunch considering the opponent's record and the 21-0 lead the Giants had at one point in the game. But they won their next three against Tennessee, Washington and St. Louis before losing the season finale against the Eagles.

While saying, "I'm well aware of who we played," Mara said he believed the team continued to play hard for Coughlin and stuck together behind him. Reese underscored that assessment.

You do the math.

I'm actually more concerned now after seein this. So far we havent hired anyone of consequence from anywhere that has a history of winning. What makes everyone so sure being at NU will magically make them winners?

Not saying it cant happen, but I feel like we have taken a really large gamble on the staff we have hired so far, starting at the top.

Here is what we know to be true:

Mike Riley won sporadically at Oregon State with a lifetime winning percentage of just over .500

His major hires are all guys whom coached with him at OSU

Mike Riley seems to be the guy who is actually running the offense, but we hired Mr. Langsdorf for the OC position, who again has been coaching a while but still hasnt proven success anywhere. (Save me the 1 year at NY with Eli Manning and the statistical turnaround, this could just be coincidence, no track record)

I know the vast majority on this board are confident in Mike Riley. But all I'm seeing is alot of justifying why, no clear evidence....and thats scary. Michigan just hired Jim Harbaugh, is there any doubts he will get that program moving in the right direction? I know in our division a monkey could win 9 games a year. I just hope we didnt hire a toad instead.

• Fire 1

As much as I am excited for what Langsdorf and Riley can bring to Nebraska.. lets not forget what a lot of our current guys are good at:option/run heavy.

I would love to see us start running the ball out of an I-form set.

But we dont have a pro-style pocket passing QB so offense will probably change.

Excited to see what happens but also curious to see what happens with RB's

If Langsdorf could handle the New York media, he should be able to hold his own against the Omaha World-Herald.

He'll probably get more heat here, actually. Can't imagine they're too interested in the QB coach there. Head coach and players for sure. Coordinators as well. Position coaches, not so much.

As much as I am excited for what Langsdorf and Riley can bring to Nebraska.. lets not forget what a lot of our current guys are good at:option/run heavy.

I would love to see us start running the ball out of an I-form set.

But we dont have a pro-style pocket passing QB so offense will probably change.

Excited to see what happens but also curious to see what happens with RB's

I agree Minnesota. I-form sets... QB under center... Some play action... Some shotgun formation with single back or empty backfield.....

There is no reason a pro-style offense can't have a few different formations.

I don't know if the system QB needed is on the current returning roster. If not I think Riley said he would adjust the offense.

If Langsdorf could handle the New York media, he should be able to hold his own against the Omaha World-Herald.

got to disagree here, chief. i knew of a guy who coached at lsu, ou, and neb. said, by far, neb. was the most vicious. cost him some pretty big games, even.

bright lights of Lincoln are sooo distracting

I'm actually more concerned now after seein this. So far we havent hired anyone of consequence from anywhere that has a history of winning. What makes everyone so sure being at NU will magically make them winners?

Not saying it cant happen, but I feel like we have taken a really large gamble on the staff we have hired so far, starting at the top.

Here is what we know to be true:

Mike Riley won sporadically at Oregon State with a lifetime winning percentage of just over .500

His major hires are all guys whom coached with him at OSU

Mike Riley seems to be the guy who is actually running the offense, but we hired Mr. Langsdorf for the OC position, who again has been coaching a while but still hasnt proven success anywhere. (Save me the 1 year at NY with Eli Manning and the statistical turnaround, this could just be coincidence, no track record)

I know the vast majority on this board are confident in Mike Riley. But all I'm seeing is alot of justifying why, no clear evidence....and thats scary. Michigan just hired Jim Harbaugh, is there any doubts he will get that program moving in the right direction? I know in our division a monkey could win 9 games a year. I just hope we didnt hire a toad instead.

I get this line of thinking but simply disagree with you, which is no biggie. I don't care what the media has to say about the hire. But all I've read so far is Riley has garnered near universal respect from every coach who has been asked about him and thinks the world of him as a coach and talent evaluator. Lastly, to me the proof is in the pudding, can you put guys in the NFL? Oregon State currently has 19 guys in the NFL which to me is insane given Corvallis' location. By comparison, Nebraska has 26 guys.

http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30800&ATCLID=209264255

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=186555

Here's my take on this (and also on Coach Riley):

Since when does a QB have to do this every play:

Offense_Looks_To_Sideline.jpg

I am sick of the newer, 'check with me' style of offense. It's the kind of offense you run with little 10 - 12 year old youth who are still learning how to play the game. Hell, it's not even how check-with-me originally worked. QB would have two or three plays. Guys would check with the QB at the LOC on what was being run. It was up to the QB to make the call. Today's 'check with me' doesn't do that.

It handcuffs the thought process of a quarterback. It doesn't require discipline of a QB to know what he's seeing. He just goes out there, and reacts the way the coaches want him to - after looking to the sideline for help. How does that help him see the robber, or quarters coverage, or properly read a zone blitzing back who is about to blast him into next week?

Simple. It doesn't. It makes simpletons of a game that is complex.

You know why we have had QBs that have been so loose with the ball? Because they aren't being taught to read a defense. I'm not talking just about our guys - I'm talking about guys like a RGIII, or a guy like Johnny Football a/k/a the Money Badger. I like RGIII, but the skillset to read a D isn't there. Wasn't asked to do it in college - the coaches did it for him. In the pro game, you don't get that luxury.

My father used to always say, "There are some old things that we do which make no sense to do, but there are some old things we do that make perfect sense to do."

Can we please stop worrying about the current players and how they're going to adjust to the game?

Armstrong is a quarterback.

Stanton is a quarterback.

Fyfe is a quarterback.

Last I checked, the definition of a quarterback is to be the guy out on the field that puts players in the right position. Can we say our QBs have done that? If so, when was the last time we saw that?

I know when (damn me for putting this out there)....

No matter what anybody says - this dude was one of the most UNDERRATED QBs in school history, and in my opinion, the last guy who actually was a prototypical QB.

Line up. Read the D. Audible if need be. Call out protections. Understand the game. That's the job of a QB, and it is what they will be asked to do by the new head coach.

I applaud the guy and hope he does well.

• Fire 4

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen now2 minutes ago

Oregon State ranked in the top 20 nationally in passing attempts in 4 of Danny Langsdorfs final 5 years at Oregon State.

I wonder where they ranked in completions?

They were 16th, 41st, 32nd, 61st and 10th in completion percentage over those five years so probably on the fringe of the Top 20 as well.

Two of those years they were almost exactly 1% better than Nebraska under Martinez. The other years they were significantly better.

Last I checked, the definition of a quarterback is to be the guy out on the field that puts players in the right position. Can we say our QBs have done that? If so, when was the last time we saw that?

The Holiday Bowl against USC. Beck went to a quick huddle, dispensed with the sideline gazing, and Armstrong and Co. cranked out 94 plays.

The Holiday Bowl against USC. Beck went to a quick huddle, dispensed with the sideline gazing, and Armstrong and Co. cranked out 94 plays.

I figured Beck's name would come up. Got me to thinking....

What position did Beck play in college? I know it says he went to UCF and played 84-85. What position?