"Realistic" expectations 2015 & Beyond

i am sure this has already been done, but I haven't seen it as its own thread.

What are your "realistic" expectations for 2015? This is a serious question, no BO bashing please.

I believe with the new staff and the experience that they are bringing to the table, anything less than a trip to Indy is a failure. I think if we win it, then great. But we better not get blown out by OSU.

We should have been in Indy this year, I believe we are more than talented enough. We aren't losing that much, biggest loss is RG4 and AA. However, with improved QB play we should be better. I say improved because how can they not improve with MR and QB coach working with them.

As for beyond, we should be in the playoffs within the next 3 years. If not, then Husker Nation will fall and Memorial Stadium will crumble under the avalanche of negativity.

A bit dramatic eh?

I expect Nebraska to start playing more fundamentally sound, technical football. I expect cleaner games with a higher level of execution. I expect to see depth and experience developed. I expect the team to play faster, with less hesitation and more aggression. I expect a higher level of understanding of responsibilities on any given play which will allow an individual player to become more of a playmaker and less of a chess piece. I expect the guys to be happy and have fun. I expect their coach to support them and teach them at every opportunity that presents itself. I expect an overall upgrade in the level of teaching, period.

If we are playing good football, I wouldn't see why we don't continue to compete at the upper tier of this conference. It will depend on the level of football Michigan State and Wisconsin continue to operate. If we can compete with them, I would expect to be seeing Urban Meyer and Ohio St. in the future. It might not be year one, but I don't expect it to take more than 3. When will we beat Ohio St. and be Conference Champs? I have no idea. I hope it doesn't take more than 5 years, but no kows.

I'd take a lot of comfort in watching a strong fundamental effort in which the team looks effective and efficient in what they do. That'd be the best place to start IMO. I think we have just the right coach in place to make sure that's where we start.

• Fire 1

I'd really like to see a trip to Indy. We'll find out next season how rough the transition will be (especially in team culture). I'm optimistic that the staff can do a phenomenal job of it and get things rolling right away, but...

Also I think it's fair to be concerned about the depth we have on hand at a few spots on the roster. However, the QB competition excites me, and I'm hopeful that we at least have a few capable starters to tide over in 2015 the oft-cited concerns at the LB position.

The offensive line could be the biggest project of all for this incoming staff. The offensive line is not the place where you want all your question marks to be. Yet, we've operated that way for years now with the last staff and somehow managed to be somewhat effective. The other half the time we've looked extremely confused and sloppy up front.

As excited I am about the QB development in the future, but if the issues aren't resolved quickly on the offensive line, we may not see the immediate results from the coaching our QB's are going to get.

• Fire 1

Realistically, I am looking to see sound fundamental football. When looking at what we lose, who returns and our schedule, I would expect the traditional 9 win season. Of course, that's dependent on how well the team buys in, the offense we run (fits our guys or more round hole square peg) and what type of D we use.

If we lose more than 4 regular season games, I will be shocked and disappointed.

We are in what many have called the worst of the power 5 divisions. The champion of that division just had their coach leave for a lower tier job, and the best RB in school history is going to the NFL. We have talent at all positions, but not alot of depth.

Minimum? #9wins

Expectations: Trip to Indy.

Better Coaches: Check

All "hard" games at home: Check

Losing only 3 starters on defense: Check

Expectations are winning the west and 1 loss at the most. That was my expectation last year too

If they went 9-3 last year with all the hard games on the road and a crappy staff...I just don't see how it will be worse next year.

We are in what many have called the worst of the power 5 divisions. The champion of that division just had their coach leave for a lower tier job, and the best RB in school history is going to the NFL. We have talent at all positions, but not alot of depth.

Minimum? #9wins

Expectations: Trip to Indy.

This is not unreasonable.

• Fire 2

1. Healing of Husker Nation: We are such a bruised, busted up fan base right now! I think one of the reasons Coach Riley was hired was to give us a sense of calm after a riotous storm.

2. DISCIPLINE: I'm really looking for a return to clean football.

3. TEACHING UP OUR PLAYERS: This is probably my biggest expectation. When Coach Riley was interviewed he talked about TEACHING his players vs just coaching them. Breaking things down so that our players really understand what and why they are doing things.

4. Winning: One of the things that always impressed me about Oregon St. is that they played the 'spoiler' so many times! One of the things that didn't get done in the past 7 years was winning the big games. Perhaps we have a chance with this coaching staff?

5. Return to Respect: I look forward to being respected once again, not having to worry our coach is going to open his mouth and stick his foot in it whether on or off the field.

It's going to be an exciting off season. I'm really looking forward to the Spring Game. It will be a year of rebuilding but with this experienced staff, the building should go quickly. GO BIG RED!

• Fire 1