Expanding From 85

We seemed to benefit from 105 limit. I'm all for it considering it would help us and KILL schools like Io_a

Solid point. This could reduce parity and give an edge back to the schools that can afford it (e.g., Nebraska). Add to the fact that the NCAA is essentially returning Prop 48 with their academic redshirt rule in 2016, and we could have a recipe for Nebraska to return to prominence.
  • Fire 1

We seemed to benefit from 105 limit. I'm all for it considering it would help us and KILL schools like Io_a

Solid point. This could reduce parity and give an edge back to the schools that can afford it (e.g., Nebraska). Add to the fact that the NCAA is essentially retuning Prop 48 with their academic redshirt rule in 2016, and we could have a recipe for Nebraska to return to prominence.

What is prop 48?

nvm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition_48_%28NCAA%29

85 will not change unless a division 4 happens. This is not something covered by the autonomy rules, and there is no chance the smaller schools approve this, as it is clearly a boon for about 25 schools above and beyond all others.

What Nebraska needs to push, that can be done under autonomy, is Officials for juniors, and being able to pay for one parent or guardian on an official. We get a kid and his mom on campus, the odds of landing him is very, very good. The parent should be easy to get through, as basketball already allows this.

• Fire 1

Solid point. This could reduce parity and give an edge back to the schools that can afford it (e.g., Nebraska). Add to the fact that the NCAA is essentially returning Prop 48 with their academic redshirt rule in 2016, and we could have a recipe for Nebraska to return to prominence.

it will only help if you have a solid recruiting program / system or a huge base to draw from. MR seems to be intent on revamping our recruiting so it could help. Otherwise OSU, Bama, USC etc will have the advantage and there will be a smaller pool for everyone else to draw from.

it will only help if you have a solid recruiting program / system or a huge base to draw from. MR seems to be intent on revamping our recruiting so it could help. Otherwise OSU, Bama, USC etc will have the advantage and there will be a smaller pool for everyone else to draw from.

The 70s 80s and 90s seem to think we will share that advantage

Honestly, my feelings are that this hurt us when it went to 85 because we were on top. Now, if it were expanded again, it would hurt us in the other direction.

We get some players from Texas, Louisiana, Florida...etc. because the in state schools have their classes and rosters full. If, let's say, Alabama were now able to take 100 players, that would be 15 more players from that area that would be all googly eyed about playing for Alabama and they wouldn't even look outside that foot print.

Ironically, when it was reduced there were other programs in our situation that pushed for the reduction.

I actually believe there are other recruiting rules that need changed before this such as allowing Seniors to take official visits in the summer before their senior year then having an early signing period. (Those have to go hand in hand)

• Fire 1

Am I the only one that thinks increasing scholarships won't give blue bloods a decisive advantage? For one we are working with a larger pool of people from the days of 105 scholarships. The US has increased its population by 72 million people since 1990, nearly a 30% increase in population. A larger population increases the likelihood that more high school kids are playing football in the US. At the same time football and more specifically college football has also become exponentially more popular. It has a greater reach through not only our society but into foreign lands. So what we have is a swelling pool of talent, with the inability for all the schools to accomadate them. Look at NFL rosters and you may be surprised to see how many FCS players dot rosters.

Secondly, the "lesser" schools like Purdue, Indiana, Oregon State, Kansas, etc. due to popularity of the sport have been able to cash in on conference affiliated tv deals. TV money has leveled the playing field more so than scholarship limits. I don't see schools like Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Alabama, Florida State, USC, etc. having recruiting advantages over Kentucky, Washington State, Illinois, Iowa etc. (at 105) because in all reality, these schools are on a pretty level field when it comes to finances and thus facilities and attracting recruits. Guys like Art Briles and Gary Patterson may have been easy to poach back in the 90's, not so much anymore. Patterson is getting paid 4 million and Briles over 3 and both will more than likely be getting raises for next year. Who would have thought that would even be possible in the 90's? Especially for programs like TCU and Baylor. Lower level schools like these used to be the training grounds and now they have become destinations. Its the money that has insured that new reality. Not an 85 scholarship limit.

Honestly, my feelings are that this hurt us when it went to 85 because we were on top. Now, if it were expanded again, it would hurt us in the other direction.

We get some players from Texas, Louisiana, Florida...etc. because the in state schools have their classes and rosters full. If, let's say, Alabama were now able to take 100 players, that would be 15 more players from that area that would be all googly eyed about playing for Alabama and they wouldn't even look outside that foot print.

Ironically, when it was reduced there were other programs in our situation that pushed for the reduction.

I actually believe there are other recruiting rules that need changed before this such as allowing Seniors to take official visits in the summer before their senior year then having an early signing period.  (Those have to go hand in hand)

This is how I feel. 20 more players to each of Alabama, Florida, USC, Texas, Ohio St, etc. and our pickins get a little slim.