Banker Defensive Philosophy

Mavric

I'm so excited to hear this. it may make us a bit more vulnerable in the secondary, but frankly that's fine. You can win giving up 300 yards in the air. If youre giving up 300 on the ground (or in our case, 400 to one guy in 2 quarters), your f'd. Even before playing Florida and the fun and gun in '95, Charlie McBride said straight up gotta stop the run first and foremost. At least we wont be playing two deep anymore to keep from giving up that vaunted 40 yard TD pass to Wisconsin once a game. :facepalm:

What this quarters, man free stuff will allow is for much simpler responsibilities in coverage, and more eyes on the qb and run game. Like it says. Simpler. Faster.

Even our great defenses of the 90's gave up handfuls of chunk yardage and huge pass plays each game. But we didnt sit back with lack of aggression and let the offense dictate to us up and down the field all day either. They had to work and grind and pick their way to get those big plays, and usually when they did, it was too late.

Bend but don't break, what a pathetic way to play defense.

I hated the bend but don't break philosophy with a passion unknown to most men. Make the offense, and especially the QB uncomfortable. Get the QB thinking about getting hit again. Force quick throws, throws into coverage. Force interceptions and fumbles. I have re-watched the 1995 NC game against Florida one a year for the past several years just so I don't forget how beautiful an attacking Husker dense can be. Terrel Farley was a magnificent beast.